Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: MAG-20 Remove the cover ??? HOW ???

Boolit Master

MAG-20 Remove the cover ??? HOW ???

I have an old LYMAN MAG-20.
    It's showing a tendency to stop heating between 700-720degress. I've been told if you take the cover off, that there is a small screw next to the thermostat control that you can turn "up" to raise the pot's TEMP higher. I'm not mechanically inclined and I'm worried about the bolts and handle "pivot base" having inside nuts that will just drop away when I remove them from around the top of the pot's crucible. I'm not even sure if I can remove the handle "pivot base".

LYMAN refuses to work on these any more. It's been out of production for three catalog years now. If it ain't in the currant catalog they won't touch it.

Apparently 3 years ago they inventoried their warehouse and discarded everything not in the currant catalog. Just threw everything into the back of a scrap dealer's truck.

Can you imagine the years of history that was just thrown out. They could have created an auction site and made more than enough money to cover the cost of cataloging and running the auction.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Bump up to top
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    It’s been awhile, but I think you just take out the screws on the side, not the bolts on the top.

Boolit Master

You don't have to remove the cover, take the temp. control knob off, a set screw holds it on, inside the shaft is a small screw, turn it in a little for more heat.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

Calamity Jake,
    Thank you for that "VERY FINE CLEAR **** ANSWER". I really appreciate it. Other folks have given me not very clear answers along the same lines, but with insufficient detail. I'll need to get a good light and stronger reading glasses.
    I'm in your debt.
    Thank You
    Walks Fletcher SASS#375
    Serving member of the COTO COWBOYS on the day the wild bunch MURDERED US.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I have an old LYMAN MAG-20.
    It's showing a tendency to stop heating between 700-720degress. I've been told if you take the cover off, that there is a small screw next to the thermostat control that you can turn "up" to raise the pot's TEMP higher. I'm not mechanically inclined and I'm worried about the bolts and handle "pivot base" having inside nuts that will just drop away when I remove them from around the top of the pot's crucible. I'm not even sure if I can remove the handle "pivot base".

LYMAN refuses to work on these any more. It's been out of production for three catalog years now. If it ain't in the currant catalog they won't touch it.

Apparently 3 years ago they inventoried their warehouse and discarded everything not in the currant catalog. Just threw everything into the back of a scrap dealer's truck.

Can you imagine the years of history that was just thrown out. They could have created an auction site and made more than enough money to cover the cost of cataloging and running the auction.
    This is exactly why I'm not buying a single thing from them. They don't care about their customers that spent their hard earned money with them a couple years ago.

Boolit Grand Master

When removing the knob use 2 screwdrivers of the same size to "lift" it off. they are snug and tend to bind if cocked.

Boolit Master

Thanks country gent. But ever since LYMAN fixed it 20yrs ago the knob comes off pretty easily.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Well I got it fixed. Ya gotta turn the screw COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. Just about half a turn. I turned it a half-turn and the TEMP went down 25degrees. So I turned the other way 2 full turns, went up to 1000degrees plus. That was a bit much. I turned the knob down to 7 from 10. 810degress, I'll turn the screw down when the pot cools off and try it again next time. Guess it'll take a bit of "monkeying" around. Before I get it to top out at about 900degress max. Thanks again Calamity Jake.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life