WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243WSSM in an AR?

.243WSSM in an AR?

With AR prices dropped like rocks, I’ve almost talked myself into saving up for one. Even though I’m not a 5.56/.223 fan at all, it’d stay as is for a bit, but I was interested in other rounds, besides the “thumpers”.
    While researching the reason for the disappearing WSSM cartridges I came across an interesting article on the truth about guns blog. Now I know he’s biased on a lot of things, but to hear him praise on and on about how well this cartridge worked in this platform it made me think it might be worth more looking into.
    So what’s the good, bad and ugly on this cartridge and this idea for a setup? I figured it might be a decent brush gun for deer hunting?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Dtech is one of very few I know of that chambers the WSSM rounds. There are some custom parts needed that are not standard AR15 parts, the bolt and barrel extension being one of the keys. Both are oversized to handle the size and pressure of the WSSM cartridges. He chambers the three standard WSSM (.223, .243 and .25) along with a few wildcats based of of WSSM brass. Since this is pretty much a niche cartridge in an AR the prices are higher than you can put together say a 5.56 or .300blk.

http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-wss...receivers.html

Yeouch!!!! That is pretty steep! Thanks for the link and information!
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Yeah not cheap, starts at a grand. But those shilen barrels are not cheap regardless of what they are chambered in.

You'll need a brass catcher for that hard to find(anywhere) brass! IMO the WSSMs were the answer to a question nobody asked.

Boolit Master

i believe olympic arms did it, but i dont think they are around any longer either.

Midway has brass in stock.

Yes Olympic made some WSSM rifles I do not know how good they were, some of their stuff was hit or miss. Yes they are out of business now also.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You'll need a brass catcher for that hard to find(anywhere) brass! IMO the WSSMs were the answer to a question nobody asked.
    I’ve read that a lot lately!

Olympic is still around, just got some parts from them a couple weeks ago. You can order the bolt carrier group, barrel extension, and upper from them if you can make your own barrel. http://www.olyarms.com/shop/diy-wors...ssm-parts.html

Banned
    There is a new AR 15 based rifle that handles 308 family. See Jan AR. Got great review. Currently only in 308, 1/2 moa, 7 lb 4 oz. Simple bbl swap would run any 308 based round. No need to fool with WSSMs. 243 AI would be great.
    Buddy has a Olympic 22-250 good rifle but weird magazine where as the POF-USA used std AR-10 magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by M-96 Hunter View Post
    There is a new AR 15 based rifle that handles 308 family. See Jan AR. Got great review. Currently only in 308, 1/2 moa, 7 lb 4 oz. Simple bbl swap would run any 308 based round. No need to fool with WSSMs. 243 AI would be great.
    Buddy has a Olympic 22-250 good rifle but weird magazine where as the POF-USA used std AR-10 magazines.
    I’ve already got an AR-10 in .308, I was thinking quite a bit lighter might be nice, but not at those prices.

Hornady's making WSSM brass now and Winchester came out with a new production lot pretty recently. There were 250 Winchester cases on the LGS shelves around Christmas (at only 37¢ per too).

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    IMO the WSSMs were the answer to a question nobody asked.
    I know, Brother! I hate variety too!

I never understood the bad treatment the WSSM line of cartridges. The .223 flavor's basically a .22 Cheatah (or .220 Swift AI or .22 Creedmoor), the .243 flavor's about the same as a .243 Ackley and the .25 flavor's about the same as a .25-06 just using a stubby little case instead of standard .473" case headed brass. It's simple, if you don't want to buy them then go back to your 120 year old 7x57 and .303 British and nevermind the fact that there are a ton of cartridges today that are ballistically identical to older designs. Isn't variety the spice of life? Is this not America where we can have our cake and eat it too?

In fact I just ordered a Manson .223 WSSM reamer and a thoater for something to play with using Sierra's new 95gr .224" offering. It will live beside my antique .220 Swift and my dated .243 AI too.

I do not see what all the hate is for a cartridge period. Don't like it don't buy it. I like options. Quite frankly I think the .30cal, .338 and large WSSM wildcats are pretty cool. Being able to launch a 150gr .30cal bullet to 30-06 velocities out of an AR15 is great IMO.

I like the stubby cases too. I've got a wildcatted 7mm WSSM. It's more capacity than 7mm-08 and less than .284 Winchester, but with 180 VLDs and a long barrel I can get them to 2820fps and they impact steel with authority at range and they fit/feed out of a 10 round AICS mag with room to spare.

I picked up over a dozen once fired .300WSM cases at the range I shoot at last year. I really do not need it but was kicking the idea of picking up a rifle in it. Would be nice to have a short action in a cartridge that outperforms my 30-06.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	213751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	213752

I can't say I'm super impressed with the locking lugs, but if I had known about this cartridge being AR15 compatible, I might not have jumped into the .224 Valkyrie.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I’ve already got an AR-10 in .308, I was thinking quite a bit lighter might be nice, but not at those prices.
    Reminds of that phrase "I started reloading to save money" LOL. But I bet these would shoot good though.

So these WSSM's have a .535 rim diameter and work in a AR15.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

pmer, they do fit but use oversized bolt and extension which requires their carrier and upper also. Thinking about a wilcat on one of those setups as well.

I'm not a cartridge hater. But if I see no use for a certain one, I will say so. We have a rediculous amount of choices these days and that's a good thing. The market will weed out the losers whether they are good or so-so.

Boolit Master

IF I were building a wildcat on an ar 15 I'd look real hard at a 6X45! It's simple to form, just run a 223 case in the sizing die and you are done! If you get away from all the stupid fast twist rates common in the 556 and use something like a 1-10 or 1-12 twist which are plenty fast up to 85 grain bullets you could get 2800 fs fairly easy in a much better package than a heavy bullet 5.56. If you want something bigger I'd use something based on the .308 in an AR10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast