Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data PBcastco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to buy Black Powder

Best way to buy Black Powder

In my corner of the world none of my LGS carry it. Any North Texans out there have a source. I use Pyrodex but would rather use the real deal!
    Thanks, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    Make it yourself. It’s like reloading you spend lots of money on tools to roll your own. It’s also cheaper.

Boolit Master
    You can order it from somewhere like Track of the Wolf, or direct from a distributor. The best way is to find some fellow charcoal burners, and place a group order with the distributor.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Contact Bear River Powder in Eavenston, Wyoming. They will send you a case at the right price with the right service.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Try Graf & sons last time I looked there prices weren't to bad and I think they even had their own brand and don't waist your time just order a whole case. It makes the haz mat sting charge less.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 02-10-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Thank you all! I'll order enough to take the bite out of the hazmat charge. I can smell it now....

Boolit Grand Master

I usually order in 25lb case mixed granulations and sometimes brand. I order from buffalo arms normally. They allow mixed cases to get the price break. Order in 25 or 50 lb cases. If you know of others near you with the same desire get together and put together a 50lb order, cuts haz mat way down per pound.

Boolit Master
    I buy mine from Coonies' Explosives at: Phone, (575) 393-0166 · Address. 512 E Lea St; Hobbs, New Mexico 88240. I buy by the case and now that I shoot muzzle loaders only a case (25#) lasts quite a while! They used to only take checks but not sure now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    In my corner of the world none of my LGS carry it. Any North Texans out there have a source. I use Pyrodex but would rather use the real deal!
    Thanks, Thomas.
    Powder Inc and that is all you need /thank me later/Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Powder Inc and that is all you need /thank me later/Ed
    Yep. they are my go to for BP http://powderinc.com/

Boolit Master
    Powder Inc as per above and Buffalo Arms have done me right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Thanks, Thomas.
    how far are you from Hobbs NM.

Banned

for most of us, bp is a mail order item (mail order at least so far ... who knows how long mail order bp will last?). price it out by checking out all the online bp vendors and just go for the cheapest rates (including shipping and hazmat fees). powderinc, mainpowderhouse, craterfireworks, and lots others.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the Graf's brand of 3F and really like it. If you order more than 5 lbs the hazmat fee is only $10.00 along with around a 8 dollar handling fee. They also have 1000 packs of #11 caps for a lot less than my LGS.

Grafs is cheaper for the small volume buyer. Around $20 Hazmat plus around $7 for shipping.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    By the case is the only sensible way to order. It doesn't go bad, price will always go up. Sell a little to others if you want to cut costs. A case lasts me quite awhile, as at shoots I will always pick up a pound of powder from the prize blankets and usually come out 5-6 pounds ahead by the end of season.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Last time I bought Gorex 2FFG across the the counter at TOTW it was 6.00 ($) a lb cash & carry and at that time. I was told at the counter it would be beneficial (cheaper priced) for me to find someone to split a case or purchase a whole a case myself. >i.e. no doubt the best way to buy powder back then. (maybe yet today too? ) Flush with cash working two jobs. I bought a case. (Great advice John.) "And glad I did" No regrets what-so-ever.
    BTW: What is the going price these days Texas by God?

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    how far are you from Hobbs NM.
    About 6 hrs if I drive 85 mph the whole way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks, all! Graf's will be hearing from me soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

I buy Goex from Graf's by the case, and split it up with friends. A half case will last me a couple of years (at least). I take it you got the Tornado brush out of your renegade?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast