Titan ReloadingGraf & SonsADvertise hereRotoMetals2
StainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Best way to buy Black Powder

  1. #21
    Boolit Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,835
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I buy Goex from Graf's by the case, and split it up with friends. A half case will last me a couple of years (at least). I take it you got the Tornado brush out of your renegade?
    By golly I did. I (hopefully) won't do that ever again. Re check the thread haha. Thanks for asking!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    199
    Don't worry about the stuck brush Tex if you haven't hung something up in a barrel you haven't played with them long enough. My wife and I have had many a tug o war because I hung up that last dry patch when cleaning a muzzleloader's barrel before the oily patch went down the bore.

  3. #23
    Boolit Buddy GoexBlackhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Clinton Twp. MI
    Posts
    63
    Seems we all have a particular ML barrel where brass brushing is really tight. I don't dare brass-ramrod my inline Knight Vision without oil. Even the wettest cleaners like Butch's Blackpowder Bore Shine or Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner get that brush stuck in the bore. Now I use black nylon brushes instead and even those are tight, requiring hard pushes and pulls with a 2-1/2 round patch leading the brush

    A few years ago Knight had a Christmas sale on the Vision for $199. Now I think I know why........ smaller-than-normal cut bores. My opinion anyways.

  4. #24
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N. Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    5,723
    I always use a well worn brush in my barrel when I run a brush down the bore. When you get down to the breach area turn the brush clock wise to turn the bristles of the brush so when pulling out, they don't have to reverse themselves.
    Aim small, miss small!

  5. #25
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    456
    Clockwise is good, it tightens the threads on the brush. Also don't buy the cheepo cleaning brushes with aluminum tips, they can pull apart in a tight bore.

  6. #26
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    199
    I got away from using brushes years ago. If I'm cleaning in the shop I use solvent if outside or around the campfire just water hot or cold with a 2 x 2 piece of hospital gauze for a patch on the brass jag. I have found the gauze more porous and removes fowling better than a regular cleaning patch and cheaper too. A 2 x 2 will fit from .45 on up without having to trim it down. They also work well for swabbing between shots.

  7. #27
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N. Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    5,723
    If you do by chance get a brush stuck and it comes loose or is broken, best way to get it out is with a piece of tubing as close to bore size as you can. Push it down the barrel over the brush. The tubing grabs the brush and releases it from the bore. Then it will come right out.
    Aim small, miss small!

  8. #28
    Boolit Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,835
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    If you do by chance get a brush stuck and it comes loose or is broken, best way to get it out is with a piece of tubing as close to bore size as you can. Push it down the barrel over the brush. The tubing grabs the brush and releases it from the bore. Then it will come right out.
    As long as it's not a tornado brush. As I learned

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    West Georgia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn View Post
    Seems we all have a particular ML barrel where brass brushing is really tight. I don't dare brass-ramrod my inline Knight Vision without oil. Even the wettest cleaners like Butch's Blackpowder Bore Shine or Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner get that brush stuck in the bore. Now I use black nylon brushes instead and even those are tight, requiring hard pushes and pulls with a 2-1/2 round patch leading the brush

    A few years ago Knight had a Christmas sale on the Vision for $199. Now I think I know why........ smaller-than-normal cut bores. My opinion anyways.
    What's a good source for nylon brushes?

  10. #30

  11. #31
    Boolit Master

    tranders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    183
    Ask around and see if you have any BP clubs or shoots in your area. Multiple guys placing an order will ease the shipping rates.

    For me I pick my BP up when I head to Friendship for the Spring and Fall shoots. Luckily it's only about 70 miles from where I live.

  12. #32
    Boolit Master Hanshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    700
    With chronic supply problems being the rule, I order powder by the case. It brings the cost per pound way down compared with gun stores which often don't even stock it. A case, for me, is 25 pounds in, usually, one lb cans. The hazmat fee is the same whether 5 lbs or 50 lbs.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

  13. #33
    Boolit Master


    rfd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ via TX
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post
    With chronic supply problems being the rule, I order powder by the case. It brings the cost per pound way down compared with gun stores which often don't even stock it. A case, for me, is 25 pounds in, usually, one lb cans. The hazmat fee is the same whether 5 lbs or 50 lbs.
    +1 ... this is the way to go. if that's too much in terms of money and/or quantity, do a group buy with locals, friends, clubs.

  14. #34
    Boolit Master Hellgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    475
    You could order 25 or 50 lbs of 5FA which is the same granulation as FFFg without the graphiting. It is a tiny tad faster than FFFg but a whole lot cheaper. Save your cans to repackage is as it comes in a 25# bag.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.

  15. #35
    Boolit Master gpidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Beautiful Idaho
    Posts
    1,096
    Graf's brand powder is Wano. Just got 4lbs of fffg and a one pound can of ffg. I'm just getting started with BP but it seems to work just fine. Locally the shops only carry subs. so it's mail order for me hazmat or no. Gp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check