Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger LCRx Mdl 5464 in 9mm

Boolit Master

Ruger LCRx Mdl 5464 in 9mm

My wife doesn't like semi-autos for various reasons, and has her mind set on a small light, easy to carry revolver for concealed carry. Since I presently reload for both .380 ACP and 9MM Luger, I was interested in the Ruger LCRx in 9MM that we saw on the net. Does anyone have any experience with this relatively new model? Would also entertain suggestions as to what other makes and models might "suit her fancy". Thanks--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    How does your wife feel about recoil? I have the LCRx in 38 Sp +P and although I really like the gun it is a bit snappy. My daughter loves to shoot but when it comes to that gun she takes a pass.

I’ll also add the 9mm will make the recoil that much sharper! I’m not sure what it is with that round in snubnose guns, but they are a handful! I once shot a Ruger SP101 in 9mm, I think felt recoil in that was harsher than my LCR with full house .357’s.
    I’d encourage you to rent on at a range before outright purchasing one, I think you’ll thank me later.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Grand Master
    The 9mm is a bit heavier as it has a steel frame. That should help somewhat. Weight is about the same as a Glock 43.

Boolit Master
    About a year ago this week I got the LCR in .357M for the missus. For her to use as .38Sp., but always could be used as 357M. Had to get some different grips(pachmayr) to make it feel better in the hand & made up reduced loads for her as well to help her with her hand/wrist issues. She is happy, but would prefer a semi auto, if I can find one that is easy enough to work the slide with those same hand/wrist issues. Still working on that, but believe it or not, a HiPoint .380 I have as a "fun gun" is easy enough for her to work, so one in 9MM may be in the works, if I can get her to be able to work one at a LGS or the like, to try one out, some time in the future

Anyway, I thought about getting her an LCRx, but I thought that with the exposed hammer, it might be a "tangle" issue in drawing if used as a conceal piece, so went with the "hidden" hammer of the LCR.

Did not mean to ramble...

Just some things to consider, if ya have not already. You asked for "suggestions"... LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    If you want it for carry, the snubby (short barrel & fixed sight) makes sense and is the only model that comes in 9mm.

Think about purpose. Is the gun "for shooting" or "for carry" or are you trying to mix in both.

We have the 3" adjustable sight LCRX in 38 Sp. The wife does not like recoil, weight or hard to cock. It was bought for shooting and it good for that purpose.

I was happy that I was able to load "low recoil" loads that she is ok with. Note that the point of impact shift a lot with different loads. The adjustable sights on the 3" 38 Sp were real handy in making those low recoil loads "more fun" since the gun can shoot to point of aim.

If you are considering practice with low recoil loads (a nice feature in a revolver that is not so easy in an auto) and carry full power loads, expect that big shift in point of impact. For the snubby you will not have the adjustable sights.

The same basic gun can be had in 9mm, 327 & 357.

For a full power small carry gun with much less recoil, the 327 has advantages. I have a SP-101 in 327 and shoot lots and lots of ammo through it. I shoot both "pop gun" target loads and "flash bang" full power loads. If you want to shoot full power snubby load in volume, the lower recoil in the 327 makes it worth serious consideration.

For flexiblity, the 357 sounds better than the 9mm, but I am not sure how much advantage this really is. Shooting anything hotter than the 9mm in a snubby LCRx is going to be at a big cost in hand smack.

With the revolver, a hand loader can probably work up really good 9mm carry ammo since any bullet will "feed" just fine. With cast, you may still have to play with boolit and or expander plug diameters to avoid leading.
    Last edited by P Flados; 02-08-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I have been carrying & shooting an LCR in 9mm for nearly 2.5 years, recoil is not a problem. I have shot around 2k rounds without problems, mostly standard pressure but including about 15% +p and maybe 5% +p+. It rides in a Bellyband or a Mika Pocket Holster daily depending on clothing.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    Everyone reacts to recoil impulse differently. The 9mm is a high PSI load. I have a 3" LCRx-3 in 38sp. +P and find it surprisingly comfortable to shoot even with +P loads, others think it is "snappy". You really need to try the gun to see if it will fit your needs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Everyone reacts to recoil impulse differently. The 9mm is a high PSI load. I have a 3" LCRx-3 in 38sp. +P and find it surprisingly comfortable to shoot even with +P loads, others think it is "snappy". You really need to try the gun to see if it will fit your needs.
    Rick makes a valid point. How the gun fits your hand may influence how someone reacts to recoil. And if you reload, recoil is a mute point anyway as you can reload lower power level practice rounds for practice.

As to the OP question, the 9mm will use moon clips. Some love then and others hate them. They will make reloads faster if carrying but if they get bent it is not a good thing.

My fiancé and I looked at one in and it fit her hand perfectly. That was about a year ago and we will be getting one once they introduce the LCRx in 9mm with the 3" barrel. But that is because we are more interested in range shooting with this gun that as a carry gun.

BTW, I understand her preference for a revolver. We tend to forget that some have difficulty racking the slide on an autoloader. A gun someone can operate effectively is going to get used.

Lastly, beware of the LGS hacks. I saw an older woman with an ultra light .357 that even most men do not enjoy shooting. She was talked into it by the gun store "expert" because it was so light and easy to carry. She could not hit a sheet of paper at 7 yards with it she was flinching so badly.
    Don Verna

Banned

I have a couple LCR .357s and a couple LCR 9mms. To me the .357 has to be downloaded to shot properly. The 9mm I really like. Got my daughter a LCRx .38 and she shoots wadcutters. At 95 pounds she is not built for recoil. Triggers are awesome compared to J Frames. Dumped the J Frames, but still have one left.

Boolit Master
    "Everyone reacts to recoil impulse differently. The 9mm is a high PSI load. I have a 3" LCRx-3 in 38sp. +P and find it surprisingly comfortable to shoot even with +P loads, others think it is "snappy". You really need to try the gun to see if it will fit your needs."

Rick says a lot in very few words here.

I teach handgunning. ESPECIALLY a lot of ladies via the NRA Women On Target program.
    I also own a few 9mm revolvers. A Speed-Six, and a LCR. I will not go into details on how many prefer one over the other. The BEST thing is for your wife to try & shoot one BEFORE a purchase. AND remember,,, sometimes a simple grip change can make a big difference.

Boolit Master
    I have neuropathy and need a hammer model, as I have trouble firing double action and expecting to hit anything. I can cock the hammer for my shooting, and of course, if needed, I can point and squeeze in an emergency. I've been blessed in that the last 15 years I've only had to shoot inert targets, and they don't attack....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnfolk75 View Post
    I have been carrying & shooting an LCR in 9mm for nearly 2.5 years, recoil is not a problem. I have shot around 2k rounds without problems, mostly standard pressure but including about 15% +p and maybe 5% +p+. It rides in a Bellyband or a Mika Pocket Holster daily depending on clothing.
    Have you found the "half moon clips" to be an issue when shooting this revolver?

Banned

No for my part

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Have you found the "half moon clips" to be an issue when shooting this revolver?
    I have not seen Half Moons for the LCR, I prefer to use Ranch Products version of a Full Moon. The Factory Moon Clips are Junk AFAIC, they bend too easily. I have never bent a Ranch Products Moon even though I usually carry one in my off-side pocket when wearing jeans. I normally carry 2 Speed Strips and a Moon.

FWIW, mine shoot fine without Moons. After about 200 rounds of testing I'm comfortable carrying the strips as they are flatter. YMMV as every gun is different. But, I had a Secondary 9mm LCR that I bought a month after the first. It went away to a Friend that has been bugging me for it recently, it was also Stone Reliable without Moons.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    Mtnfolk75-- What are speed strips? Am I correct that you either need "speed strips" or moon clips to fire this revolver?

Boolit Master
    My wife and I were in Cabelas the other day and she got a chance to handle and dry fire the same model in 9mm, but without the exposed hammer. She was really impressed with how light and smooooth the trigger was in double action. This tends to make us lean toward this model as there will be no hammer to perhaps get snagged on something when drawn. As far as recoil goes, this gal is a former IHMSA competitor, and still has her own .44 mag 629 Classic DX. We realize these light revolvers can be quite "snappy" as we have both a 329PD and a Model 69, but I'm sure I can download the 9mm so it will be comfortable enuf for her to shoot.