Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: QC issue or SOP

Boolit Buddy

QC issue or SOP

Am sizing bullets that drop out of my mold with my alloy at .4565. Chamber throats are at .4560. Bought a .454 H&I die which sizes to .456. As an experiment, I ordered a .454 push thru from Lee which came today. Bullets sized with the Lee measure .455 and a tenth or two. Fortunately, boththe 456 bullets and the .455 bullets do good in my revolver with the larger ones a fuzz better (further testing necessary - only loaded 10 rounds of each size) but I'm wondering if this is typical of sizing dies (that is, to be one or two thou off advertised dimension).

Interesting. Mine are not off that far. Mine measure spot on to .0005 over(half a thousandth).

Boolit Master

My Lee .358 marked die sizes consistently at .3575. I have started PC'ing my lead boolits lately anyway, so I don't believe it will make much difference. We'll find out soon. james

Boolit Master

Different alloys will size differently with the softer ones sizing smaller, as lead has less springback than tin and antimony.At east that has been my experience. Same with casting bullets, alloy will affect weight.

Boolit Master

All too true Springfield. My alloy is really unknown as I bought it from a guy on here and he was truthful about not knowing what the hardness of the lead to be as he had never tested it. It does just fine for my purposes anyway as I powder coat and that process allows for softer lead to be used. I am still learning though, I have only been reloading for 55+ years. I hope I never get to the point that I feel that I don't have any more to learn. I enjoy loading and piddling around in my loading room. my experience anyway, james