Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Xtreme copper plated .357 wadcutters

Boolit Master

Xtreme copper plated .357 wadcutters

Has anyone used the .357 Xtreme copper plated wadcutters? Good or bad reports? My new-to-me S&W 52-2 will be here Saturday. I plan to reload for it. Probably start casting too, once I decide on whether I want to load straight WC's or hollow base. New to casting and I've heard hollow base can be difficult to cast.
    I called and/or went to 4 firearms stores today looking for a bo w of factory WC's to test fire with. Finally found one mixed box of Winchester & R-P loads for $12.00 & bought it. Same guy had two boxes of Precision Match for $58.00 a box. He still has them.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If the wadcutters are as good as their .380's, then they should be excellent!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have shot a lot of Xtreme's bullets in various designs & calibers. I can not recall any issues with their W/C's.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to shoot copper plate through it, make sure to clean ALL traces of copper before firing boolits down the bore.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    If you are going to shoot copper plate through it, make sure to clean ALL traces of copper before firing boolits down the bore.
    Stubshaft, you mean after firing copper plated I should clean copper before shooting cast right? At the risk of showing my ignorance, why?

Boolit Buddy
    They tell you Lead velocity typically works for their plated bullets. They are not actually sized to the diameter of lead bullets typically. Berrys' bullets listed an 800fps velocity on their plated WC 38 bullets. Verify their current recommendation. 'Soup can shaped' WC are not a high velocity 357 round. Lead WC are soft lead and normally like much slower than 800fps. So with the smaller diameter plated ones you may need far more velocity than listed for a Hornady, Speer, or hand casted soft lead WC.

Boolit Master

I will be loading some of the Xtreme copper plated .357 wadcutters up today after work I bought some on there black Friday sale
    going to try RedDot powder around 4. gr to around 4.5 just looking for a target load
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post
    They tell you Lead velocity typically works for their plated bullets. They are not actually sized to the diameter of lead bullets typically. Berrys' bullets listed an 800fps velocity on their plated WC 38 bullets. Verify their current recommendation. 'Soup can shaped' WC are not a high velocity 357 round. Lead WC are soft lead and normally like much slower than 800fps. So with the smaller diameter plated ones you may need far more velocity than listed for a Hornady, Speer, or hand casted soft lead WC.
    Ditto what he said. i had to increase charges to get any accuracy to occur. I ended up not liking them and switched to a PC bullet. These are not High velocity shaped bullets. A slow 38 WC shoots great and accurate. I use them as bore cleaners periodically during a range trip.

Boolit Master

I found a good deal on some Berry's plated 148 grain HBWCs. Made test batches & shot them Tuesday. Loaded TiteGroup 2.8 gr to 3.1 gr. in .1 grain increments, 15 each. All loads cycled fine. Going to load 50 more at 3.0 today. Pleased so far.

Boolit Master

well not to excited about my first loads of RedDot 4.2 gr under Xtreme 158gr going to bump it up to 4.5
    also going to try some Unique this is at 21' Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180217_090226_resized.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	214381
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    well not to excited about my first loads of RedDot 4.2 gr under Xtreme 158gr going to bump it up to 4.5
    also going to try some Unique this is at 21' Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180217_090226_resized.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	214381
    If you were shooting steel plates your group would be fine. I think that is what Xtreme makes them to be used for. They are not sized like Lead Bullets. So they need pushed like FMJ. The problem is that soup cans don't fly so well.