RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Powder coating mold selection

Boolit Mold

Powder coating mold selection

Hey guys I did a search and can't find what I'm looking for even though I know it has to have been answered.

I have never cast and have been wanting to for years. I'm starting to slowly buy some stuff to get ready mostly because I found a couple molds I really want. I think I will forego lubing bullets from the get go and go straight to powder coating. I ordered a gas check bullet mold because I have always had consistent luck with gas checked bullets through a wide range of velocities. My question is that if I am gas coating and have a choice of a gas check mold or plain base, what would you pick? If traditional lubing I would prefer a gas check bullet but with powder coating would a plain base be just as forgiving as a gas check bullet?

I know I can still gas check a powder coated bullet and have been reading threads on this but can't figure out if I should stick with gas checked bullets like I usually did since I'm going to powder coat or go to plain base since it's almost like a jacketed bullet? I'm sure I could shoot the gas checked bullets without a gas check if powder coated but I doubt accuracy would be up to par.

What do you guys think, if you were starting new and planning on powder coating, would you buy gas check molds or just go with plain base? I know some guys prefer plain base even with traditional lubing but like I've said I've had better luck over a wide variety of velocities with gas check and want to keep things simple.

I hope my question makes sense and I didn't ramble too much. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Boolit Master

PC is not a replacement for gas checks.

I have a gas check maker that will go on plain base bullets which allows me some options. You can use soda cans for check material or buy rolls of thin metal.

This is my hobby and I do what I need to make it enjoyable, hence I use the rolls of metal in making mine
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Like he said..........PC is NOT a GC replacement!!!!! It's a grease lube replacement.

I PC everything I have ever cast (MANY types/styles of molds!) and they all coat and shoot great, GC's and all. I bought into the no lube groove (NLG) thing a couple years ago and have seen absolutely ZERO benefit. All my new buy (brass only!) molds have standard grooves. Makes them easier to sell to grease lubers, if the time ever comes around. And if the velocity I plan to use needs/demands a GC, I use only Cu commercial checks with PC. They fit and work great.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Like he said..........PC is NOT a GC replacement!!!!! It's a grease lube replacement.

I PC everything I have ever cast (MANY types/styles of molds!) and they all coat and shoot great, GC's and all. I bought into the no lube groove (NLG) thing a couple years ago and have seen absolutely ZERO benefit. All my new buy (brass only!) molds have standard grooves. Makes them easier to sell to grease lubers, if the time ever comes around. And if the velocity I plan to use needs/demands a GC, I use only Cu commercial checks with PC. They fit and work great.

banger
    Jim is spot on about not a replacement AND about the no lube groove molds. I have 2 and will not have another one made. I have seen little or no difference.

Vendor Sponsor

I feel the same on molds buy them with lube grooves. It keeps your options open. both lube or pc can be used and come selling time your market will be larger
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

The lube grooves are nice for the tweezers to fit into for all us that stand our boolits up to bake.

Boolit Master
    As been said PC does not make everything magically delicious...........sorry it is morning time so cereal comes to mind. I lubed boolits for a long time and then tried my hand with alternative coating. I started out PCing and due to the sitting them up after the shake in bake I shifted gears to Hi-Tek.

Boolit Master

I feel like the lube grooves give the alloy a place to flow when jamming its way through the throat and into the rifling.

If you look at fired bullets most of them grow quite a bit after being fired.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post
    I feel like the lube grooves give the alloy a place to flow when jamming its way through the throat and into the rifling.

If you look at fired bullets most of them grow quite a bit after being fired.
    A fired bullet cannot grow more than the barrel diameter,,,,,,,until it hits something. That is then called mushrooming.

Banned

I use flat based bullets for my pistol rounds with velocity below 1300 fps. With those that shoot above 1300 fps and my rifle bullets I use gas checks, and I powder coat everything. All of the bullets I use do have a lube groove.

Nothing I shoot in a handgun needs a gc, upto to 1500fps or so. PC will work fine with the right alloy w/ no gc to 1500fps. I have had the gc taken off most of the molds I had with them, too much work for little gain using them. I also like options & a grooved bullet allows options. I can PC, HT coat or conventional lube all with the same mold.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    ever wonder why some of the bullet makers cut grooves
    into the bullet? Like Barnes for instance....keep the lube groove you can always
    lube them if PC don't work (yeah rite!)
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Gas checks on PC handgun bullets is a waste of time, effort & money, so I would suggest flat or bevel base molds. Accuracy will suffer shooting a PC gas check bullet without the check, but it can be done. So far I can not determine that the lube groves are either a plus or minus as far as accuracy, but the bullet design definitely makes a difference.

Banned
    A little clarification.
    PC will work fine up to around 1600-1800 fps without a gas check IF The boolits are sized properly (1 1/2 to 3 thou over slugged barrel diameter), the proper alloy is used (hard enough to fill the barrel preventing blow-by and skidding)

If you PC, pistol bullets do not need a gas check.

I push 357 and 44 mag to max velocity with PC'd bullets.

Use a gas checks for rifle rounds.