RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: J-Frame round butt grips for snubs

J-Frame round butt grips for snubs

I've been through many of them.

Altamont's boot - hard square back that hurts under recoil, "ears" bite the web of your thumb, hard to grip with sweaty hands
    Altamont's Altai - too large to conceal in pocket. A round to square conversion type. Great otherwise and an outstanding grip for a 3 or 5 inch model 60
    Hogue's bantam (the factory grip if I am not mistaken) - doesn't work with speedloader well, rubber is stickier/softer than I like, and it is a bit too slim
    Hogue's monogrip - just a bit too large to conceal. A round to square conversion type. Might be the best choice for a J-magnum snub like the 340.
    Altamont's combat grip (the one that looks like a devil horn)- not sure what the thinking is here. No checkering, slips all over the place, too large to conceal in pocket, not as stable as a conversion type. It looks "cool" I guess.
    Pachmayr's Gripper (not the pro gripper) - too large, fit is poor.

Hands down I prefer the Uncle Mike's Boot grip (no longer made) for my 442. They are small enough for pocket carry. It is made of a harder rubber and is checkered for extra grip. There are thumbrest cutouts on both sides and they allow for an actual grip with your thumb. It has an open backstrap that fits tight, round back, and rounded upper edges so under recoil the web of your thumb doesn't get "bitten." They also permit use of a speedloader (both HKS and Safariland work). The grip is roundish and slightly thicker than the Hogue bantam and the rubber is much less sticky. The rubber is just perfectly balanced between recoil absorption, able to provide grip with sweaty hands, providing enough grip, and not cling to everything. They may not be as pretty as wood. But functionally these are hands down the best. If one carries a J-frame 38 snub seriously, I think one should really consider buying one.

I found out some of the history (which may be Fuddlore, but it makes sense) that the Uncle Mike's Boot design came from Craig Spegel who still makes the grip in wood. Apparently he licensed the design for a term or had some sort of royalty agreement with Uncle Mike's and after a while the deal wasn't found acceptable to either him or Uncle Mike's so they ceased production. This is unfortunate as they are still making J-frames and not making these grips anymore. Also, to me the real Craig Spegel's don't cut it...being made of wood, which in my opinion is an inferior material for an everyday carry grip being subjected to sweat, being used by sweaty hands, etc. Wood looks nice. And it's fine for a occasional use firearm or one with a larger grip surface. But hard rubber is a superior material in terms of durability and utility on these little revolvers. It's also MUCH less expensive.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 05-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    I prefer stag magnas and a grip adapter for all of my DA revolvers, J or N frames.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

J frame grips

I carry a S&W J frame in a pocket holster from Milt Sparks I like wood and metal Best , but I tried one of those Delta grips ugly as sin but it sure works well for me .

Rubber is for tires so I will keep on using my wooden Herretts Grasshorn stags with a Tyler "T" grip.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    I've used Eagle Grips Secret Service series wood grips on J-frames, which are basically a "boot grip" style. The Rosewood grips have performed very well.

The Tyler "T" Grip adaptor is still a very good option that greatly improves the grip without making the overall size of the gun larger.

I have a genuine set of Craig Spegel Boot Grips for a snubnose K-frame and they are outstanding grips; both in performance and appearance.

Boolit Master
    Most of my snubbies wear a combination of soft rubber and a hard composite. Because that's the way Crimson Trace make them. The soft rubber, on the back strap, is very effective in cushioning the recoil of these reduce weight carry pieces. I have a early model of CT's J-frame boot grip, that lacks the rubber cushioning, on one of my J-frames. I much prefer the new style. Be aware that CT offers at least two J-frame grips...........one longer than the other. I like the shorter of the two............it conceals better.

Winelover

I've not used those eagle grips because they are fantastically expensive and I've read do not work with speedloaders.

I consider function with speedloader a dealbreaker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    I've not used those eagle grips because they are fantastically expensive and I've read do not work with speedloaders.

I consider function with speedloader a dealbreaker.
    They do work with Speedloaders ( At least on the J-frame and with Safariland Comp I) and because the rosewood has the same color all the way through, you can even file/sand them without refinishing the entire grip if you need to tweak them a little.

As for the price - Yeah, they've become expensive. Eagle Grips were a much better deal 20 years ago. I don't know if the materials became expensive or the costs of manufacturing but they are not the value they once were.

I would still buy Eagle Secret Service grips if I was outfitting a CCW that I had settled on for EDC; but grips are a personal thing and what works for one person doesn't always work for someone else.

Boolit Grand Master

Like yourself, I went through the gamut of grips for J-frames. For open carry I use Herett shooting stars and CCW I use the stock grips with Tyler T.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!