Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: .501 magma mold question

Boolit Master

.501 magma mold question

Is it possible to create and use a double cavity 50 cal mold for the magma master caster? I notice that magma only sells single cavity molds in the 50 cal size. I suspect this is because the pour holes in the sprue plate would not be directly under the stream of lead. Also would the material between the two cavities be too thin to align the cavities with the pour stream?

I am looking to do a enlarged H&G68 in .501 for the 50GI.

you have answered your own question the bullet is to big to make a 2 cavity mold with and have it work on a Master caster but you can do it with a hand cast set up D Crockett

The other problem would be keeping the mold blocks cool enough. There's really not enough mass in the Magma mold blocks for a two cavity .50 caliber bullet, which is why they make them in single cavity only. You'd have to wait for the alloy to harden before opening the molds, which would really slow down production on a Master Caster or Bullet Master, and pretty much negate the advantages of the machines.

Hand casting a large bullet allows for more flexibility in the time between pouring and opening the mold. I've had large bullets break in half when they fall from the mold when I rushed the process, and I'm pretty sure most casters of large bullets have found this, too.......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.