Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Winchester 1906 score.

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 1906 score.

I repaired a guys stock on his Beretta 1200 for him and cleaned up a Colt SAA from the late 1800's to see what kind of repairs it needed.
    He had this 1906 made in 1910 that he brought to me.
    Obviously there is no finish left whatsoever. There is pitting on the receiver and it is missing a few screws. The bore is ok and I have not seen how it shoots yet.
    I took it all apart because the action was so dirty that it took a tremendous amount of effort to operate it. The magazine tube was a nightmare to get out.
    The internals are surprisingly in great shape. Not a ton of wear at all.
    Talking to the guy, I told him that I would be interested in it as payment for my work. He agreed right away. I was only going to charge him $100 for the work, and I had only about $20 in material and some time.
    I have always wanted a pump .22 since I shot a friends 62a.
    I'm thinking a faux cch on the receiver and tang and slow rust the rest. Maybe a repo fancy walnut stock. That would look good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	213621

Super Moderator

Nice score on an old classic. Homestead may have some of the parts you need. I got my 62A up and running with parts from them. Good people to deal with too.

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/Winchester_1906.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    I repaired a guys stock on his Beretta 1200 for him and cleaned up a Colt SAA from the late 1800's to see what kind of repairs it needed.
    He had this 1906 made in 1910 that he brought to me.
    Obviously there is no finish left whatsoever. There is pitting on the receiver and it is missing a few screws. The bore is ok and I have not seen how it shoots yet.
    I took it all apart because the action was so dirty that it took a tremendous amount of effort to operate it. The magazine tube was a nightmare to get out.
    The internals are surprisingly in great shape. Not a ton of wear at all.
    Talking to the guy, I told him that I would be interested in it as payment for my work. He agreed right away. I was only going to charge him $100 for the work, and I had only about $20 in material and some time.
    I have always wanted a pump .22 since I shot a friends 62a.
    I'm thinking a faux cch on the receiver and tang and slow rust the rest. Maybe a repo fancy walnut stock. That would look good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	213621
    If you want a sweet handling 06 use the forarm from a 62A and the crescent butt stock from a 1890. You will have to pump the action open to get the forarm to clear the mag opening.

Boolit Buddy
    So I loaded three Aguila subsonic into it for a little three shot group to see how it runs.
    I had previously cycled blanks through it to check the function.
    The first shot went a little high and right at 25 yards, no biggie, just looking for a group.
    Cycled the action, no empty popped out. Sure enough, there it is in the chamber.
    It would not come out by picking it. I had to use a cleaning for to fairly forcefully pop it out.
    Upon inspection I found that there is a sizezable bulge at the top of the chamber.
    Looks like it time to find someone to re-line this one.
    I thought about just getting another barrel, but how good a shape is another 100+ yo barrel going to be?

Boolit Master
    I wonder if Dougguy could maybe ream that chamber to save the original barrel. It'd be a shame to have to rebarrel that old girl. Prolly cheaper to have it reamed too.

Boolit Buddy
    I think it would have to be bushed then reamed and at that point I might as well just get it
    re-lined.
    It is so tore up and pitted that, to me, it's not worth keeping it in its original state. I would rather clean it up, make it a shooter and pass it on to one of my kids.
    Right now it is worth no more than just a wall hanger.

Boolit Master

LINE THAT PUPPY! Super-addictive shooters when functioning.

A 1906 purchased for $75 was my "Highpower Rehabilitation" rifle. The quest for points led me into spending my practice days in a shooting coat with a spotting scope and a notepad. Woke up one morning and realized I'd forgotten how to have fun with a rifle. The 1906 occasionally gets S, L, and LR in the same magazine. . .JUST BECAUSE IT CAN AND THE SODA CANS DON'T CARE.

My metal looks just like yours, but I got super lucky on the bore - spotless. Probably fed some Okie family during the dust bowl years. I'd leave the gumwood stock on if it was me. Mine was hideously broken through the wrist and had been repaired with screws through metal strapping to cross the gap, so walnut replacement was a necessity. It looks a bit incongruous with the white metal and pretty wood - yours is original and matches.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    sure it isn't a 22wrf?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    sure it isn't a 22wrf?
    Its stamped .22 short, long or long rifle.
    It bulges the case out right in the middle of the case at the top like there is missing chamber.
    And the chamber looks like it had a tap run into it with "threads" that you can feel and see.
    She just needs a re-line to be shootable again.

Boolit Master

Tap damage, huh? I wonder if it had a rough job of stuck case extraction... maybe followed by some idiot polishing to try to hide the damage.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe, no telling at this point. I have seen people do really dumb things with firearms.
    I was a little surprised at how hard I had to hit it with a cleaning rod to get it out.
    Nothing a re-line won't fix. Just wish my lathe was big enough to do it so I didn't have to pay someone.
    Oh well, that's life.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if someone actually ran a tap inthe chamber. That was just the best description I could come up with for the damage.

That rifle is easily relined and worth doing so. They make you s mile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I agree --- Nice score1

I've had an '06 since the 70s that was made in 1912. After a bit of gunsmithing, it feeds and ejects reliably. The bore is pretty rough but accuracy is pretty good @ closer ranges with CCI Standard Velocity or even Quiet. It's the grandkid's favorite plinker.

ShooterAZ ---- Thanks for that link. More parts than I've seen anywhere.

Boolit Master

I would have it lined , keeping all the original stampings on the barrel

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely going to get it lined.
    Now to find a good local gunsmith to handle it.