Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What I would like to see from printed technology.

Banned

What I would like to see from printed technology.

We are starting to see the world change with the advent of 3-D printing. When one looks around there are a lot of things that can be made with this technology. One of my favorites is the bullet collator which is being made by a number of companies as well as Diyers out there.

I'm going to start a small list in the hope that others might chime in and list what they would be interested in.

1.) Bullet Collators
    2.) Magma Bullet feeder assembly with the option of using a air cylinder instead of the spring/lever setup.
    3.) Multi tube assemblies for the Star/Magma bullet sizers to use in place of the single somewhat short bullet tube.
    4.) Bullet catch assembly for the Star/Magma to catch bullets after they are sized for those using bullet dropper assemblies.
    5.) Primer tubes if possible. I don't know if printed technology can do this.
    6.) Primer catch trays for single stage ot turret presses.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    3.) Multi tube assemblies for the Star/Magma bullet sizers to use in place of the single somewhat short bullet tube.
    that one should be easy.
    Gremlin setup should be able to be cloned and printed pretty easy.
    Not sure if he is around any more.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Banned
    I'll add another

A bullet dropper tube from a collator that could incorporate a microswitch or a optical sensor.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 02-08-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martini in the rough.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	213617

What I would like to see is the ability to do it in the waxes or plastics which you can supply to an investment casting firm, to have it reproduced in virtually any kind of steel.

Here is a blank, still in my projects backlog, which I had EDM machined from air hardening steel, to make a Martini receiver. There is a shrinkage factor in investment casting, and it is hard to work out just how it would work out as shrinkage of material translated into expansion (I think) of a square hole. But imagine if you could have a trued up hole by EDM, and the rest of a Farquharson or Sharps receiver investment cast.

Banned
    Attachment 213618

Attachment 213619

Star/Magma bullet feeder tubes

Can't seem to open the pictures now
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 02-09-2018 at 08:11 AM.

I'd like to see someone make some inexpensive but reliable magazines for first gen Browning BLR's. Originals are getting to be like hen's teeth and no one is reproducing them, with the result being they've become prohibitively expensive.

Boolit Master

Add to the magazine list ,the SS adapter and 5 round magazine for a Remington 37.

Boolit Master

Primer tubes are very narrow and 3D printers are not good at small or narrow objects, as they vary too much at the small scale.

Metal parts are only capable of being printed with laser sintering machines, whose lasers typically run at 600W. Well beyond the reach of DIY at home. Those machines are much more precise, as you'd expect a laser to be, and can make small parts. I'm not sure if they could manage the degrees of tolerance needed for a magazine. Printing sheetmetal-like objects sounds to me like it'll fall outside of the machine's capability.

I was at a trade show last year and got deep into a 3D discussion with an engineer from Proto Labs in the midwest. I geeked out for a while discussing the capabilities of their machines. I asked what the most stressful print job he'd done was, and he replied a contract part for Boeing's 777 in which the part was laser sintered in titanium to make a part that literally was impossible to make with subtractive machining, it could only be printed. The print took two weeks 24/7 to complete, they checked it the start of each shift with baited breath until it was complete. Imagine running a printer for 2 weeks straight to make a part!

Some of the other parts mentioned in the first post are possible, and a search on Thingiverse or GrabCAD may even turn a few up.

Bulldogger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    Add to the magazine list ,the SS adapter and 5 round magazine for a Remington 37.
    Magazines for a smith and Wesson model 52 bullseye pistol.

There are a ton of magazines and other small parts for classic firearms which need to be cataloged and dimensions taken. That could be a great business in the short term.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Post number 5

Why don't my pictures work anymore? It is a custom made item that was made before anyone else came out with something like it.

Banned
    Now, how simple is it to 3D print? Is all that is necessary is an STL file a machine and money for a spool of plastic? I have some Autocad experience that dates back to 1993.

ADMIN

You need a decent machine. They run about $500 for the one the guy uses to make the collators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master

How about one that works in "green wax" to make the images directly for investment casting parts. print the piece encapsulate in clay ceramics dry and fire it then cast.

Banned
    A bullet flipping device like the Jmorris design that will allow one with a base down only collator to have a nose down operation thru such a device.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    How about one that works in "green wax" to make the images directly for investment casting parts. print the piece encapsulate in clay ceramics dry and fire it then cast.
    I was not aware of any filament available made from consumable wax suitable for investment casting, but it is an interesting idea, so I decided to search. First hit was a website called MachinableWax.com, and they advertise filament suitable for investment casting.

Neat-O!

So, yeah, that can be done.

BDGR

Boolit Grand Master

That would make home investment casting much easier and precise. Small brass, pewter, aluminum or silver parts ( Nose caps, grip caps, Knobs or handles ) could be printed .015 oversized and filed polish to finish much easier. I have done some working with green wax working it by hand with scrapers and small chisels to shape and its always a little iffy getting it right the first time.

Boolit Mold
    I'd like to see a small plastic tube that allows you to insert a small/large pistol primer into it to use as a percussion cap.