Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bismuth shot

Boolit Grand Master

Here in MN, we are facing similar issues. I'm not sure on the current status, but if the bill goes through, lead shot will be effectively banned on a majority of public land in the lower 2/3rds of the state for ALL animals (rifles and handguns excluded). I think this is the 2nd time this has been tried this decade, we managed to fight it off so far. I'd consider myself a waterfowl hunter above all else. Turkey, deer, small game, and everything else is just what I hunt the rest of the year.

Banned

The KDWP lands around here have gone to non toxic shot only, even for doves and such. Seems like this is going to be a growth industry soon.

Where would you find a mold for #5 shot? Wow, that would be a small thing to cast.

I have been mandated to use non lead pellets for the air rifle team I coach, so I've been keeping the spent pellets rather than throwing them away. Eventually I'll get around to casting some #4 buck shot with it for trying out on coyotes. If I could get a bird shot mold that small, I might give that a try instead.

Boolit Buddy
    #5 shot is dropped…#4 shot is dropped---#2 was made but not as round as LEAD but better than heavy shot or any other non- lead substitute ( other than steel) for the roundness-
    BUT Bi by nature does not want to be round…it has a strange texture. that is the #2 reason for the %5 tin added to the mix….

I cast some .22 balls..- that was a big hassle but doable…..I won;t do it again though….some one else put it "not worth the juice for the amount of effort to squeeze " I think it goes?

We drop #5 and #4 lead now….and have made bigger too….it's just not a perfect 'round' pellet 100% of the time….

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Littleton Shot Maker View Post
    …and if you need parts for the machine you have now. again let me know I have discounted rates for FORUM members.
    Hi Alan

Any chance you have or make the Shannon style drippers? I've tried the standard bolts in both single hole and dual holes but they don't work as well as the Shannon design. I'd like to try #4 or #5 shot with my shotmaster.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Scott

I used my own drippers made in house……..the unit we got even though it was never used did not have the original drippers….

Some of those ( Shannon's) where sold with out the holes to even install the drippers- so you could have 2 or up to 4 holes BUT it would not ( heat wise) do a good job of keeping up….so 2 was the norm. All this after 'you' drilled the face of the Al. pan. Not the sort of thing most folks want to do after buying a new unit but it was an OPTION….

In general:

I don;t do doubles - I can but you need to call or email that in and we can go over that in detail dependent on your requirement and the parts you may have or need to get to make it all work well.

I don;t stock them nor do I recommend them to 90% of those folks asking for them.

IF you have extra melting pots ( large like 40-90 pounder), temp controllers, time , some extra money then almost anything can be done - BUT as a reloader I am frugal. ANd tripling the cost of the unit to maybe increase the production by 20-% in not worth it. I would run two machine side by side before going to all that work? Just me though.

In short - the drippers drip- the elements melt- the coolant makes the SHOT ROUND! the ramp does not round the shot- it slows it down a bit before pellets hit the quench- like the 100-120 foot drop from towers but in liquid.

…the rate of production is governed by Gravity. that is a constant here on Earth at Sea Level any way….you can add more dripper holes but you can't make it melt fast enough to keep up with the out flow. AND this gets 10x worse when talking about BIG shot…temps have to go down to let the lead from up then drop. Physics . Some times Custom dripper heads have to be made ( done that , been there).
    With Bi shot and #2 we found there was too much mass at the dripper head. So the dripper is machined to look like a cone and the drip hole does not exit the bottom, it shot straight through…only a tiny bit of metal was left to hold onto with a THIN wrench to hold while tightening the jam nut on the rear side.

Flow is controlled by the size of the BIG hole inside the drippers and the small hole where it drops from….

Side note:
    When folks want a cheaper machine,cause a few let me know I am higher than the other guy...- simply I let them know: "Any one" can copy MY unit-- and they are out there.
    Do they have the tons of product under their belt or had to field questions since 2001- with problems and solve them? …not with out all the work and effort that Jerry, My buddy Joe K., My dad, and even Jimmy Stewart did way before any of us did it. With out these guys there would be nothing to copy nor would they have all the info they have now….

BUT if and When folks are looking for help or need advice running their machines, that actually have the practical knowledge of making shot of many sizes and non lead then I am not sure there is any one other CO. out there with OUR years of track record doing just that. Making lead or Bi. shot!! Sorry tooting my own horn a bit I guess….rant over…

I love to help shooters make shot and I get excited when a new shooter calls and wants help. that's why I do it…there is a certain satisfaction knowing I am helping the shooting community at large and that it what my Grand Dad did, his dad, my Father…we have to pass this info on the next generation before it's too late and or lost to time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12