Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New for 2018: Auto Breech Lock PRO

Boolit Buddy
    They put up the instruction manual:
    https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/PR1441.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    They posted a video showing a 360 rotation. It does not show operation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9VoyJbQJ9g&t=0s

Updated images and diagrams now on the Lee site. Looks pretty good.

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

Still haven't seen a video of one in action.

So just where is this press supposed to fall in line with the other Lee presses? Below the Loadmaster and above the Pro1000? Between the Classic Cast Turret and the Pro1000?

Review Lineup, per Titan Website with Titans prices;

Breech Lock Reloader C press, $34.99
    Breech Lock Challenger O press, $66.99
    Classic Cast or Classic Cast Breech, $106.99
    New 4 hole Value Turret, $83.89
    Classic Cast Turret, $97.49
    New Breech Lock Pro, $124.49 + cost of a shell plate
    New design Pro1000, $174.49
    Complete Loadmaster, Pistols, $247.49

Did not include either of the 2 hand held presses or the shot shell press. But wow that is 9 presses from simple single stage to the complete progressive press. Ranging from a mere $35.00 up to a whopping $250.00

Then add in all the other vendors with their lineups and there is no reason anyone that wants to reload shouldn't be able to find something that fits their style or budget. Also with all these choices in the market there is no reason one has to follow the crowd because Joe Blow from the such and such forum says so.

Earlier I commented that if Lee would offer just the new Pro1000 press as an upgrade I would do it. As a matter of fact there was a bare press just on ebay the other day that was missing the handle. I was watching that auction and then forgot. When I remembered the auction had been over for 1/2 hour. It closed at a price that had I remembered sooner I would have placed a bid.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Except for the 'Breech Lock' die holders, appears to function just like my old (circa 1984) Dillon RL450...which still churns out 250-300 rounds per hour. When it was new it would do better than that but it's cycle rate has slowed down some due to wear & tear on the guy pulling the handle.

Bill
    same problem here
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

The problem I've always had with the Pro 1000 is the priming system. Or rather the point at which the shell plate indexes in regard to the primer system.

As I see it, the shell plate indexes right before the primer seater start to rise. If index timing is off just a tiny bit the primer doesn't have time to fully "settle" into the seater and a tipped or crunched primer is the result.

Keeping the primer tray full and tapping the system with a finger regularly helps keep the primers sliding like they need to get them onto the seater as the shell plate indexes.

It looks like the new and improved Pro 1000 has a new "fool proof" index system. Does this mean the index point has been changed to make primer and index timing less critical? Hopefully.

If the primer system works better the new Pro should be an excellent little machine.

Now if Lee can make the bullet feeder deal work....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    The problem I've always had with the Pro 1000 is the priming system. Or rather the point at which the shell plate indexes in regard to the primer system.

As I see it, the shell plate indexes right before the primer seater start to rise. If index timing is off just a tiny bit the primer doesn't have time to fully "settle" into the seater and a tipped or crunched primer is the result.

Keeping the primer tray full and tapping the system with a finger regularly helps keep the primers sliding like they need to get them onto the seater as the shell plate indexes.

It looks like the new and improved Pro 1000 has a new "fool proof" index system. Does this mean the index point has been changed to make primer and index timing less critical? Hopefully.

If the primer system works better the new Pro should be an excellent little machine.

The priming system that was on the old Pro 1000 has been completely eliminated.The New and Improved Pro 1000 uses removable small and large primer arms that can either have a primer manually placed in the cup

or the accessory, add on, Safety Prime system may be bolted to the press and used to manually dispense a primer into the primer arm cup.

Either way, it is not an automated procedure, however where the old primer seating system was iffy at best, this should be almost a 100% improvement in reliability.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    The priming system that was on the old Pro 1000 has been completely eliminated.The New and Improved Pro 1000 uses removable small and large primer arms that can either have a primer manually placed in the cup

or the accessory, add on, Safety Prime system may be bolted to the press and used to manually dispense a primer into the primer arm cup.

Either way, it is not an automated procedure, however where the old primer seating system was iffy at best, this should be almost a 100% improvement in reliability.
    Different press.

Boolit Master

Different press.

Ooops, sorry 'bout that.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    Ooops, sorry 'bout that.
    Not to worry. I think we all pretty much assumed the new Auto Breech would be the Pro 1000's replacement.

If it hasn't already shown I am a big fan of the Pro1000 for loading pistols. Reason being the over-all size and stroke length is short enough w/o over leveraging. Doesn't take a lot of muscle to resize pistol cases. Next would be the simplicity of the press. aside from the dies there really is only one adjustment to be made on this press and that is the timing screw in the shellplate carrier. Which if following the direction for this is very easy to accomplish. For myself I have no problem using the standard 3 die sets that Lee produces for my pistol loading. Even though I have one new pistol that is very tight and is very finicky about load length and diameters. I have been told by a few people that the FCD would alleviate this issue.

With that said I really thought that the upgraded Pro1000 would be in line with the 4 hole turret press and advance to the 4 hole turrets which would allow placement of that 4th die, FCD. Or for those that wish to continue to use the 3 die sets and add a powder check. By doing this it would also be in keeping with the new replacement Value Turret press which is the same new base as the Pro1000 only using the 4 hole turrets.

I do know that many on all of the gun forums absolutely detest the Pro1000 but somehow ignorant me has been able to figure out how to make it work and I actually enjoy using it. Those folks are entitled to their opinions and to them I am sure they have valid reasons. But then I also shoot Taurus guns so I guess that makes me an idiot on two fronts!

As I look closer at this new press I ask again, Where is this press going to fit into the already established line up? With the use of the Safety Prime system I cannot see how it will be as fast or faster than the Pro1000, only that it may be less problematic for some. Cannot envision this replacing either the Loadmaster or any of the Turret presses either.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post

As I look closer at this new press I ask again, Where is this press going to fit into the already established line up? With the use of the Safety Prime system I cannot see how it will be as fast or faster than the Pro1000, only that it may be less problematic for some. Cannot envision this replacing either the Loadmaster or any of the Turret presses either.
    I'm not sure why Lee didn't incorporate some type of automatic primer feed on this new press. As it sits now it appears to be sort of an updated turret press rather than something that's designed to compete with the Pro 1000.

The fourth station will allow for a separate crimp die such as the Lee factory crimp. Or, for those who seat and crimp with one die, a bullet feeder. I could see something like the Mini Mr Bullet Feeder being right at home on this press.

Regarding the Safety Prime; I have one for my Turret Press. I fiddled with it a little but never could get it set up correctly. It would either not release a primer or drop a primer on the floor. So I usually just set each primer into the swinging arm by hand or just prime off the press using a hand priming tool. Maybe that's what Lee expects most people are doing.

Everything red on the press looks like plastic. Can someone confirm?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

Past Problems with the Pro 1000...
    At least you have identified that it's an INDEX problem that causes primers to flip or jam, most blame the priming system, never thinking to adjust the INDEX, and resort to priming off the press or just bad mouthing the press everywhere they can.

I adjust the index, as per instructions, before most reloading sessions and make sure I go that extra half turn at the end, and lube the index rod too, for trouble free operation.

The "new" Pro 1000 has a shot pin that pushes the shell plate into position long before the primer pin is pushed up to seat the primer.
    This makes the index more precise/positive, and eliminates the need for that precision index adjustment.
    Kind of "fool proof"...
    After the last primer leaves the tray, I add a push rod onto the primer column to keep the last few sliding down the trough.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PostThis.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	217981
    Sorry for the drift,

Edit: lots of Pro 1000 info here: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ashing.507454/
    Last edited by Kenstone; 04-09-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post

The "new" Pro 1000 has a shot pin...
    This makes the index more precise/positive, and eliminates the need for that precision index adjustment.
    Kind of "fool proof"...
    Is that what the holes are for in the new style shell plate? Are those stop/index points for this pin? Can you post up a pic?

Is that what the holes are for in the new style shell plate? Are those stop/index points for this pin? Can you post up a pic?
    Yes they are. The shell plate and the carrier were changed to make this upgrade. From what I've read on Lee's website the older model carriers and shellplates can be used but the nylon indexing post needs to be removed. How much trouble it is to replace is ???

The new shell plate that I picked up for 45acp has these holes yet still fits the old carrier.

The more I get into this discussion the more I wish Lee would release just this new Pro1000 press as an upgrade. At this point I would buy one, I do not need all the dies, powder measure, case feeder.

Boolit Master
    I am a bit confused. I thought this topic was about the New for 2018: Auto Breech Lock PRO, but I am seeing posts about the Pro1000.

I am not complaining, nor being sarcastic. Just looking to get info as it comes out about the new press, but now I am getting confused about what folks are posting about.

I am interested in getting the New Auto Breech Lock Pro, but not a Pro1000. Are they using the same parts or something?

Thanks! if anyone wants to clue me in...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I will take partial blame for this going off the tracks. My Question has been Where does this press fit in the lineup? How does it compare to the Pro1000 because it has been suggested that this press will be replacing the Pro1000.

There is not a lot of information out for the public to review about this product and I feel that is short sighted on Lee's part. It has been out for bata testing for a while from what I understand yet there are no product reviews or official product videos of it in action. Just a lot of speculation and a few advertising pictures.

In another topic here on this forum after this press was announced and some information became available I put together a theoretical press using the pricing available from Titan Reloading after the cost of the press, shellplate, dies, Safety Prime, Universal shell feeder and a powder measure it priced out at just over $270.00 While a new Pro1000 from Titan is $175.00 complete while the Load Master is complete for a pistol caliber is $248.00

So depending on what you might have already available to use this new press comparable to the Pro or the Load Master is costing more money. Not to say that by shopping around better pricing cannot be found because I already know it can be. I just used Titan as a one stop look.

I also understand that the Pro1000 or the Load Master have their reputations and many will never look at them because of that, which is fine. While this Breech Lock Pro is brand new and doesn't have a reputation yet. It may just fit in this spot and develop a great following.

I just have to say that I am glad that I am not in the market to be looking at new presses because I don't know which way I would go if I had to start all new again. Between the three new or upgraded presses from Lee, the presses from Dillon, RCBS, Lyman and Hornady and now knowing what my needs and usage is it would be very hard to decide what would fill that need.

Another "problem" with the Pro 1000 is that it is primarily a pistol press. It can be used to load 300 Blackout or 223 Remington but that's about it. The same is somewhat true with the Turret although removing the rotation rod allows for cases that are a bit longer.

Hopefully the Auto Breech has a long enough stroke to allow for at least 308 length cases. However, looking over the instructions available on Lee's website, I don't see anything listed that's longer that 223, 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel.

Banned
    Some videos are starting to pop up......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUBy...ature=youtu.be

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast