MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
PBcastcoLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 150 or 170 in my 94?

Boolit Buddy

Lee 150 or 170 in my 94?

I currently shoot the Lee C309 170 f over IMR 4198 out of my pre 64 Winchester. Thinking of going to the 150 grain version, also GC, for deer hunting in the Adirondacks. Thinking it might give me a little flatter trajectory, just wondering if the 150 is enough for deer and the occasional bear. Any input appreciated. Thanks, Craig

Me personally, I would stick with the 170...

Moderator Emeritus

I agree if your shots are over 200 yards with irons or receiver sights. If shorter ranges, no need to change.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Yep, trajectory change between cast 170 and cast150 will not be enough to bother with inside 200. Both will kill deer, I like the 170, just for exit insurance. Could hp the 170 and still have more mass than the 150...
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
    I currently shoot the Lee C309 170 f over IMR 4198 out of my pre 64 Winchester. Thinking of going to the 150 grain version, also GC, for deer hunting in the Adirondacks. Thinking it might give me a little flatter trajectory, just wondering if the 150 is enough for deer and the occasional bear. Any input appreciated. Thanks, Craig
    My 94/Marlin both like both and either one in the right place works great at killin stuff ,I cast both at 310-11 and try for BHN 11-13 GCed up to 2000 FPS /Ed

Super Moderator

The Lee 150 is good enough for deer, I have done it. The 170 is the better choice though especially if bears are a possibility.

Old gun smith and dealer told me once that the rifle was designed so the 170 grain was the optimum round. I was looking at the same choice you were and which choice I made didn't matter since I was buying one of those two molds from him and they were the same price. I think his advice was geared toward making sure I got good results.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Get the 150 also. And I plan to get the 170. My 10" twist Mauser shoots the 150 great but my 12" twist Win 94 doesn't. And both like 170 gr j-words better than 150s. So far. I'm going to try some C309113f as soon as I GC and lube them.

Boolit Master

Funny that......My Savage 340 leans towards the 150, but my Marlin 336 will shoot either 150 or 170 fine. Go heavy if you can.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I've loaded up the 170gr LEE and get good results. Generally I tend towards heavier for cast.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Boolit Master
    The 170 is probably better if your gun likes it.

Some guns shoot better with one vs. the other.

Some guns just do not like feeding the 170. I have loaded for a Model 94 that did not want to feed 170s crimped that were in the groove.

The 150s were a better choice in that gun since I did not want to trim cases allow using 170s.

Except for cases where the gun shoots or feeds better with the 150, the 170 just has better penetration at all distances and better max range (better BC).

Boolit Master

Like TexasByGod says... get them both. They're Lee molds, buy them all, keep the good ones.

I've had good luck with the C309-150-F in 30/30 for accuracy, but I haven't hunted with that load yet. I really like it at the range, less recoil, less lead used, light loads with Red Dot and full house loads with W748 all shoot well.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

In a thudy-thudy I would stick to 170! Every little bit counts- 20 grains!

Boolit Master

Stick to the 170, it is just better all round.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Mold
    Another vote for the 170gr pill. The trajector difference is insignificant at 30-30 ranges but the 170gr bullit passes the 150 energy wise beyond 100yds and gives the 30-30 about 50 more yards of range.

Boolit Master

Another vote for 170! Every 30/30'ive played with does well with that ,my late 30s 94 eats them up and every game animal has been bang flop!

Boolit Buddy
    The original factory load was actually a 160gr but the deer won't know the difference anyways.

Both...

Boolit Master
    I’ve got both.
    My two Win. M94’s don’t feed smoothly with the 170’s. The Marlin doesn’t care.

My 150’s cast to 158gr. Run 160gr with gascheck and lube. I’ve never recovered one, but a coworker of my brother did, with a load of 7.5gr of Unique from a 170lb upper NY doe. 24”+ penetration.
    I prefer the 150 (160) as it feeds/cycles so much better.

I typically use RL15 @ 30.0gr. I don’t use jacketed bully’s in a .30/30 anymore.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    I’ve got both.
    My two Win. M94’s don’t feed smoothly with the 170’s. The Marlin doesn’t care.

My 150’s cast to 158gr. Run 160gr with gascheck and lube. I’ve never recovered one, but a coworker of my brother did, with a load of 7.5gr of Unique from a 170lb upper NY doe. 24”+ penetration.
    I prefer the 150 (160) as it feeds/cycles so much better.

I typically use RL15 @ 30.0gr. I don’t use jacketed bully’s in a .30/30 anymore.

That must have kicked like a .22! 24 inches as well. Kinda makes ya scratch your head at all the super duper magnum stuff out there.....
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast