Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loading 12 gauge 7/8 slug in rio primed hulls

Boolit Mold

loading 12 gauge 7/8 slug in rio primed hulls

Hello guys, I need some clarification regarding a load.
    I am planning to cast a LOT of 7/8 lee slugs for my 88 Maverick Smoothbore 12 gauge.
    I am planning on using Ballistic Products load data for 7/8 slugs. My issue is as followed.
    At my not so local gun reloading shop the only powder that they have for shotgun applications is Clays powder.
    I was looking at the following data

LOAD# 140217-5484

HULL: RIO 12ga. 2.75”

PRIMER: RIO209

PROPELLANT: HODGDON WIN SUPERHANDICAP 25.6 Grains

WAD: PT1205

SHOT: 7/8 oz. LEE key Slug

FOLD CRIMP: 6-point

Result: PSI 8800 FPS 1440

LOAD# 140217-5486

PROPELLANT: HODGDON WIN SUPERTARGET 25.7 Grains

Result: PSI 8200 FPS 1355

LOAD# 140217-5487

PROPELLANT: ALLIANT RED DOT 24.1 Grains

Result: PSI 10300 FPS 1480

LOAD# 140217-5488

PROPELLANT: HODGDON INTERNATIONAL CLAYS 26.9 Grains

WAD: HCD24

Result: PSI 9200 FPS 1465

I would be purchasing the components needed at ballistic products but I would be using the roll crimper tool fro BPI. What would be safe to shoot at around 1300-1400fps using clays powder? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you! Sorry of this is a stupid question but in a bit new in slug reloading so I want to be in the safe side.

Just drop the charge down a couple of grains, you'll probably hit the velocity you want, you intended work your loads up right?

Quote Originally Posted by vepr12dude View Post
    Just drop the charge down a couple of grains, you'll probably hit the velocity you want, you intended work your loads up right?
    Scratch that, are you altogether new to shotgun reloading?

Boolit Master

Buy Rio hulls and you're stuck with Rio primers which are slighly bigger diameter. Would use domestic hulls as there are many 7/8 oz loads using clays. You can safely use 7/8 shot data for 7/8 oz Lee.
    http://www.tsn.biella.it/armi/Manual...c%20Manual.pdf
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Mold
    Im planning on working up the load. Im getting the rio hulls because once Im done shooting them they are getting scrapped. So what would be a good starting load on Clays? Also I have a chronograph so what would be the maximum velocity that I should not go over.

I may be wrong but I think there's about 3 different "clays" powders. Be sure you have the proper one matching the data you have!

Boolit Master

^^^ what muskrat says..... Loading data for Rio hulls is scarce, thus my suggestion for others.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Muskrat Mike is dead on. Be sure you have the correct CLAYS powder, check the website for Hodgdon reload data. Also, most times when you use a roll crimp it will produce less pressure and less fps on the load over a fold crimp, so your stats on the load will most likely be less than they show for a folded crimp shotshell. This is Hodgdon "CLAYS"

Boolit Mold
    the rio hull data calls for International clays. My shop does not carry that powder unfortunately. I was wondering or more like hoping that I can use The regular Clays by starting the charge at a lower level and working the charge up. If so what starting charge would be safe to work with.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by noremaximus View Post
    Hello guys, I need some clarification regarding a load.
    I am planning to cast a LOT of 7/8 lee slugs for my 88 Maverick Smoothbore 12 gauge.
    I am planning on using Ballistic Products load data for 7/8 slugs. My issue is as followed.
    At my not so local gun reloading shop the only powder that they have for shotgun applications is Clays powder.
    I was looking at the following data

LOAD# 140217-5484

PROPELLANT: HODGDON WIN SUPERHANDICAP 25.6 Grains

Result: PSI 8800 FPS 1440

LOAD# 140217-5486

PROPELLANT: HODGDON WIN SUPERTARGET 25.7 Grains

Result: PSI 8200 FPS 1355

LOAD# 140217-5487

PROPELLANT: ALLIANT RED DOT 24.1 Grains

Result: PSI 10300 FPS 1480

LOAD# 140217-5488

PROPELLANT: HODGDON INTERNATIONAL CLAYS 26.9 Grains

WAD: HCD24

Result: PSI 9200 FPS 1465

I would be purchasing the components needed at ballistic products but I would be using the roll crimper tool fro BPI. What would be safe to shoot at around 1300-1400fps using clays powder? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you! Sorry of this is a stupid question but in a bit new in slug reloading so I want to be in the safe side.

Is there a specific reason you are not using the data that lee includes with the mold. Lee shows a number of load data you can use, might be easier than the route you are taking.

Boolit Mold
    I currently have the roll crimp setup. This includes the drill press. My plan is to use the rio hulls with the appropriate wads with the 7/8 key slug to get into shooting slugs. y plan is to shoot the rio hull slugs and throw the hulls away. I don't own a press for shotgun reloading so this was my way to reload slugs and get into shotgun loading.

Im looking at the RED Dot load and its at 24.1Gns. On the burn rate chart Clays is a slower burning powder then Red Dot so If I back up on the Grains to start up a load would it be safe to shoot? Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    nvm I found the information that I was looking for. starting load of 20gns of clays will produce 1200fps, and about 7400 pressure on 7/8oz load. Since Im roll crimping it would be a bit less. Thanks for the help guys.

you shouldn't work shotgun loads up the way we do metallic, pressure signs are not similar. if you want to stick with clays powder maybe choose a different bpi sourced primed hull to throw away, heres a start.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

looks like the chedite are even cheaper than rio's

Boolit Mold
    I figured that working up a load was a no no on shotguns. I'm getting the load data from this website
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/riodata.pdf

noremaximus, if all your doing is giving the shell a roll crimp you should not have a problem. Be sure to use a good scale to weigh everything......Powder and your slug. As long as you are not going off script with the components you should not have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by noremaximus View Post
    the rio hull data calls for International clays. My shop does not carry that powder unfortunately. I was wondering or more like hoping that I can use The regular Clays by starting the charge at a lower level and working the charge up. If so what starting charge would be safe to work with.

This is not a good idea.

Boolit Mold
    ok thanks again. I will be following the BPI's load data. Luckily they have loads for clays. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, what has been said above is good advice. You cannot reliably work loads up for shotshells. Pressure signs are not dependable as they are in brass cartridge.

I think the first obvious pressure sign is sticky extraction but that generally indicates that you are already well over acceptable pressures.

Also be warned that all 209 primers are not the same. Different brands perform entirely differently or at least can and according to Tom Armbrust who has done extensive pressure testing, a change of primer can affect pressures by up to 3000 PSI so substantial especially if you already have an 11,000 PSI load and it goes up by 3000 PSI!

Ajay (SuperBlazingSabots) says Fiocchi hulls have softer heads than most others and can be used to detect high pressure signs early. I have Fiocchi hulls and have had sticky exrtaction so stopped right there and didn't shoot any more. Those got disassembled.

Certain substitutions can be done but but best to follow published pressure tested load data. If you are not looking for high performance slug loads and are happy with 1100 to maybe 1300 FPS then Hogtamer's advice is good ~ just substitute the 7/8 oz. slug for 7/8 oz. birdshot and you'll be fine. You may have to change wads or use nitro card wads to space the slug up some for good crimp.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    doesnt cheditte make rio hulls??

the link i provided had chedite info but not rio , for whatever thats worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast