RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: RIMMED Vs RIMLESS CASE IN BREAK OPEN ACTIONS

RIMMED Vs RIMLESS CASE IN BREAK OPEN ACTIONS

QUESTION:
    Double rifles are traditionally chambered for rimmed cartridges. I am looking at the various options for the EAA MP 94 combination rifle/ shotgun. There are a number of options for the rifle barrel. It can be had in .30-06 or 7.62x54R which have similar ballistics.
    The 30-06 brass sells for about half the cost, is there any significant advantage to using a rimmed case in a break open gun as apposed to a case like the 30-06?

Boolit Master
    Generally speaking , it makes for a simpler ejector, therefore more likely to be reliable. Singles dont " use up your brass" like hull checkers. Either by loss or damage, so 50 rounds of 7.62x54 could easily be a lifetime supply!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Many people will say no, but I have an Encore Katadin in 45-70 and 500S&W. The 500 sometimes slides over the extractor and won't extract. This never happens with the 45-70. That's why, when thinking of a .25 single shot I opted for the Krag rather than the -06 case.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have a MP 94 in 12 ga. / 30-06 and the extractor has a small spring loaded protrusion that snaps in to the rimless groove, so far it hasn't missed a lick but doesn't look very rugged.
    I wish it had a 7x57 R or 8 X 57 R instead but got it cheap when Buds was down to a handful left and had a make offer asking price.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

I have encores/contenders in rimmed and rimless cases and notice little difference.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Thanks guys, I guess I will go with a rimmed cartridge in the vane of "keep it simple stupid". I like the 9.3x74 but would probably be better of with a .308 or .310 cal.

Banned
    I have a dozen Ruger No. 1s. 2 belted, 2 rimmed, 8 rimless. Never a failure in 1000s of rounds.

9.3x74 is a great round with cast. Ballistics press hard on 375 H&H, also a great cast boolit round.

IME the smaller a boolit diameter, the harder to make good boolits and the harder to get them to shoot well.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by GEOMETRIC View Post
    Thanks guys, I guess I will go with a rimmed cartridge in the vane of "keep it simple stupid". I like the 9.3x74 but would probably be better of with a .308 or .310 cal.
    Geometric.

If .308 is interesting to you look closely at the .307 winchester case. Basically, a .308 Win with a rim. I use this cartrrige in my Lee Enfield DCRA conversions to 7.62. The .307 brass works great and extracts beautifully.

Moderator Emeritus

The trouble with 307 & 356 is a regular source of brass. Graf and Sons used to do an annual run but haven't since 2012 or so.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze