Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Bullet nose diameter with Powder Coating

Boolit Buddy

Bullet nose diameter with Powder Coating

I am new to powder coating and at this time have used it only a small amount (With good success) in handgun applications.
    So, I'm going to give a try in a couple of rifles and had a question about nose diameter. I only have one rifle mold at this time (311041) and I use it for my 336, 94 and some in my 03-A3. I have coated a few with Powder By The Pound Gloss black to do my initial testing with. In addition to the regular benefits of powder coating I noticed the powder coat built up the nose diameter so it was a much better fit (very light engraving) on all three rifles. My understanding is that a nose that fits the barrel correctly can potentially be more accurate.
    My question is... Is the powder coat hard/tough enough for this increased size of the nose diameter to be beneficial? It seems like it should be but I haven't had an opportunity to test. Anyway, I wanted the thoughts of more experienced powder coaters on this.

Thank you,

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    It has in all my testing although I only use Smokes " bacon Grease" on higher velocity rifle rounds. My belief is that you hit the nail directly on the head. Anything you can do to align the bullet with the axis makes a positive impact on accuracy. In most cases very shortly after ignition by primer the pressure surge bumps up the body diameter almost all the way to tip ( I have recovered some with rifling showing to within about 1/4" of tip. The bore rider actually fills the rifling and shows no indication of skidding, it is sharp on both sides of lands. I figure when the bore rider "Just" slides into barrel from the muzzle it is close to being the right size for a bolt gun. You should be very pleasantly surprised with the accuracy even in the low 2000 fps range. If you have problems with the bullet holding together (puff of smoke about 15 ft from muzzle, try adding copper to alloy) Have fun , keep good notes and share anything you learn--kind of like price of admission!

Only problem with PC on the ogive is if it gets too thick and prevents chambering. Or stuck boolits.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I've found 2 options to help. I have used Frankford Arsenal mold release spray on the noses to reduce the diameter pre pc, I've also used the NOE nose sizer. The first method is easier, the second more repeatable.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I haven't tried in the 03A3 but dummy rounds chamber in the two 30-30's with no problem. When you take an uncoated bullet and poke it in the muzzle up to the front driving band it is a loose fit. If I use one with a single coat of PC it takes a little light finger pressure to insert and the fit is snug. I guess it's a bit of a bore rider now. Should be a good thing but I won't know until I test. No need for nose sizing at this point. Neither 30-30 is real tack driver so any improvement will be a appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

Boolit Master

[/QUOTE]Only problem with PC on the ogive is if it gets too thick and prevents chambering. Or stuck boolits.[/QUOTE]

Yup!! I've got a new Savage 10 which will NOT chamber PC'd RCBS 30-165SILs or Lyman 311291s without nose sizing as a separate operation. Same boolits (w/o nose sizing) shoot just fine in my M700 and my .308 Spanish Civil Guard carbine.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I powder coated some 6.5 MM ( noe Grendel and RCBS-266-140 SIL) for .260 Rem and Grendel (RIP Grendel), Lee C309-150-RF for 30-30 and the Lee 277-130-RF. A single coat made the nose bigger and cause the need to seat bullets with gas checks below the case necks. Didn't effect accuracy with known good loads. I didn't enjoy the different seating depths but was pleased with initial observations. Project has been side lined for other experiments. I have notes and plans to experiment with nose sizing and unsized. Idea was to make quickly prepped plinking bullets.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~