MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider this safe ?

Would you consider this safe ?

I have a problem with someone doing this. What does everyone think ?

https://youtu.be/6SiW1Tk0XV8
    Last edited by vrh; 02-07-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Da Okie/ Now known as Vearl

Boolit Master
    Not on my life.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I believe it would work but...... by the time you make a special shell and make some sort of jig to hold your gun you could remove the barrel and knock the bullet out with a dowel rod. Safely !

Jedman

Boolit Master

Its prett easy to nock it out. I dont have blanks loaded up. I have no incling as to safety. That is how Brandon Lee got shot and killed.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Probably safe but I'm not going to do it. Maybe it's his neighbors gun!
    Charter Member #148

In this case, the stuck bullet was removed by hydraulic pressure. I do think it is safe. We have removed stuck bullets in barrels by hydraulic pressure for years. With rifles, we filled the barrel with oil and from the muzzle a tight fitting rod was stuck smartly pushing the oil against the bullet and moving it out the chamber.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    That looks like it works like a champ. Don't think I'll ever need to use it (I have pounded boolits on through that got stuck because I didn't have quite enough powder when playing with "cat sneeze" loads, and it was no big deal). But I can see how that might be a handy tool in the toolbox sometime. And doesn't that fellow do a great job on making a short 'n sweet video giving you his information without wasting a bunch of time?

Boolit Grand Master

Hatcher talks about doing it without the water in 1903's - using a bulletless cartrige to shoot out a stuck bullet - and these were the tin clad bullets, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I simply drive the bullet out with a wood dowel. Takes little time and doesn't need all that elaborate set up.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I did not see anything dangerous or unsafe there.

He added water for hydraulic pressure. So the gas's can't just compress the existing air. The bullet is going to have to move.

He was using a light load of 1 grain of trail boss. Not IMO very dangerous.

He fired the gun remotely. Not holding it in his hand. If it did blow up, no one would be injured.

It is my belief that the person who made the video probably very thoroughly researched this.

There is no second bullet to lodge, impact the first, cause a barrel to burst.

There is a measured charge and hydraulic pressure.

By the same token, I have seen people shooting handguns glocks even underwater to kill lionfish. And I would not ever do that. This, if if I had a squib load, a stuck bullet, and he offered his jig, 1 gr of trailboss loaded round, the whole system setup and ready to remove it.

Compared to taking it home and driving it out.

Well it is a coin toss for me. Some days I might try it. But not in my hand.

Boolit Master

CHAR-GAR has the original version. We can also remove bearings that way with greased scraps of cloth. Just simple hydraulics.

Boolit Master

Doing it his way I'd say safe, but you know that someone somewhere heard ' just shoot a stuck bullet out with another bullet'!
    Personally I'd just use one of the brass rods I picked up years ago and knock it out, it's worked for me in the past.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    In this case, the stuck bullet was removed by hydraulic pressure. I do think it is safe. We have removed stuck bullets in barrels by hydraulic pressure for years. With rifles, we filled the barrel with oil and from the muzzle a tight fitting rod was stuck smartly pushing the oil against the bullet and moving it out the chamber.
    I'd agree with this. The method described in the video would probably be safe, but it depends how much you like "probably". General Hatcher is a different order of authority from people who want to get on Youtube. I believe what he says about a debulleted cartridge doing the job, but it was a rifle cartridge, with a much slower powder.

In the video I waited for him to say "and the barrel isn't bulged..." The key to not bulging it is filling the barrel with water. A ring-bulge or tulip-shaped burst occurs when the bullet encounters an obstruction heavy enough or wedged enough to decelerate it. The powder gases then build up to a cushion of pressure far greater than normal, immediately behind the bullet. It isn't expansion of the bullet, because you can do it with a solid steel plug which doesn't get expanded. It isn't the compression of air between bullet and obstruction, because you can do it with a heavy but tubular obstruction. It is usually a little further down the muzzle than the obstruction and bullet were on contact, since they move a little while the gases are catching up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Double ring-bulge from obstruction.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	213921

This picture is my own experimental production of the rare double ring-bulge in a condemned but strong shotgun barrel. The first bulge is caused as described, the second by the gases bouncing back, bouncing again from the breech-face, and bouncing back to the new position of the obstruction. This shows the extraordinarily high velocity the gases can attain.

I have told the story of the much older friend of a much older friend, who resolved to commit suicide in barracks in India. He knew (without knowing the effects muzzle blast at zero range, of which Thatcher supplies an unforgettable photograph), that soldiers occasionally survive brain wounds, although usually in drastically impaired condition. So he filled the barrel with water. He decided at the last moment that he would rather risk the world he knew than the world he didn't, so he decided not to bother, but in his highly nervous state tripped the trigger, and blew off most of his ear.

He was most annoyed at being told that he wouldn't be punished for a foolish accident which was its own punishment, but would be put under stoppages for five pounds ten shillings, to pay for the rifle. For he couldn't detect any damage, and just as surprisingly, his eardrum wasn't burst. The reason, I am sure, was that with this gross overload of several hundred grains of "bullet", there was never any deceleration. It just accelerated slowly, from start to finish.

General Hatcher also did fairly effective underwater shooting with .22 shorts, at ranges, oddly enough, more than he considered would keep men safe from .30-06 bullets fired from above. I think the reason is the same - the lack of impact. I would want a mirror to keep my ears above water, though. Pacific abalone divers carry modified handguns (how modified I don't know) for protection from the great white shark. Still, there is no question about how ear damage or discomfort compares with being eaten up.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 02-11-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    if it is so easy why fire the gun remotely ? it mite work fine but way to easy for something go wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

Think about it if you have to fire it from a jig how safe do you figure it is? Not in my gun, one MM too short on the water and you have a bulge.

Boolit Master

Notice several folks suggest dowel rod--I'm thinking wood ones?

Don't -- the wood could splinter and the broken ends jam together making a bigger problem

brass rods won't break and won't hurt the bore. try to get one that is close to the diameter of the bore
    Last edited by Walter Laich; 02-11-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spekking
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Think about it if you have to fire it from a jig how safe do you figure it is? Not in my gun, one MM too short on the water and you have a bulge.
    He did it with a revolver, but you might be the person to run into trouble with an airspace, since you can't fill that all the way up to the bullet nose.

I agree that metal rods, or in extreme cases a rod with a protected drill bit or holesaw, are a better way to go. The video is mostly an enlightening curiosity. I don't think the risks are great, but the 1911 and some others don't give particularly good support to the lower rear of the cartridge case, and a rupture there isn't out of the question.

IMHO that's kind of dumb when you can knock the bullet out with a squib rod. Even a jacketed bullet. On a muzzle loader a worm ball puller, pressured grease or compressed air would work as well as removing the nipple, adding powder and firing it out. Be sure to reseat the ball with the powder method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Heat can also be used in most firearms, to melt a cast bullet, and melting the core might even make a jacketed one easier to move. Exceptions would include things like a rifle with soft soldered rib or rear sight, or a locked-breech pistol might depend on heat-treatment on the camming surfaces.

Boolit Master
    When i was a kid,one of the school teachers was a gun nut,and would collect old muzzle loaders from junkstores,and some brought in by his class.......On a Saturday after sports,he would set a fire up against a brick wall,and put each barrel in turn in the fire,muzzle to wall.Loud boom,lots of smoke,and the barrel would take off in the opposite direction.Much cheering....he also used to give extra marks for scrap lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast