Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are cast bullets supposed to grenade when hunting? WARNING: graphic pics

Boolit Master
    All the extra damage was probably done by chunks of bone from the initial neck impact! Looks like the bullet worked well, as said above, thru the ribs would have been different. It exited, you are eating tasty animal, its not broken so I wouldn't fix it without more data from tasty animals
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    looks to me like your bullet did what it was supposed to
    hit bone and most every bullet is going to leave not so pretty holes
    job well done
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Yep, LOSE THAT HOLLOW POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your bullet shown to the right, what appears to be a Wide Flat Nose cast is a much better choice!

A 50/50 - Wheel Weights/Lead water quenched give great results in my 45/70 with a 465gr WFN (deer and elk) and a 280gr WFN of quenched WW gave great results on two deer fired from my .44 mag. rifle this past Fall.

1650fps with the 45/70 and 1750fps with the .44.

Your not over driving your bullet at 1000fps, the bullet is just doing what it is designed for, RAPID AND MAYBE EXPLOSIVE EXPANSION!

Great for fuzzy little ground vermin, not great for eating critters!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

yup, definetly a lot of that damage was bone fragments, usually if a boolit is hard enough to "explode", most of the time you will find some granular pieces of lead, so while your boolit might have come apart at the "petals" I don't think it fragged, you were right though, it did make quite a mess of those animals!!! shows that speed is not everything!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Try the cup-point pins that came with that mould and see if anything tastes different.

Vendor Sponsor

if you did not find a good amount of lead fragments I would say exploding bones are the cause not the bullet
    IE if the bullet exploded it would not likely have been a thru and thru
    looks to me like it did what it was supposed to .. shot placement
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Wide Flat Nose does better for me on game I want to eat. That said, I think it was bone not bullet, that fragmented. I'd use up what you have but I'd not make/buy any more hollow points. Look at it this way. Ever seen a hammer with a "cup" on it? Of course, someone on here is probably a collector of hammers and is going to show me a pic of a hollow point hammer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I am very familiar with goodsteel's thread. I've read it more than once. I think 1000fps vs 2050fps is sort of apples to oranges.

I would be curious how a wound with a WFN would look, same area and same fps. I'm sure the damage would be less, but I don't think it would be that much less.

I'm still if the opinion that the hollowpoint in and of itself didn't cause the entirety of the damage, but rather the secondary projectiles from impact with large bones.

Still waiting to hear about recovery of lead fragments and /or sheared petals that indicate the hollowpoint did in fact fragment.

The alloy is basically a wheelweight alloy equivalent, which are not know to be prone to shattering. I think a 50/50 ww/pure or range lead at 9-10 BHN might be more a appropriate alloy, but a dead deer is a dead deer.

Put the same bullet through the ribs at 950-1000fps and the expansion won't be there, especially with a WFN. Still a dead deer but how far will it run with just a 35 caliber hole? In a 44 or 45 , a WFN is what a 35 caliber hollowpoint wants to be and in the larger calibers I'd use a WFN or cup point.

Regardless, congrats on your harvest.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kobeinu View Post
    Wide Flat Nose does better for me on game I want to eat. That said, I think it was bone not bullet, that fragmented. I'd use up what you have but I'd not make/buy any more hollow points. Look at it this way. Ever seen a hammer with a "cup" on it? Of course, someone on here is probably a collector of hammers and is going to show me a pic of a hollow point hammer.
    I love a super wide meplat on 35 REM For hog hunting here in Florida. Gas checked if pushed to 1200fps

Boolit Buddy
    Is it possible that because of the lower velocity and striking bone that the bullet tumbled rather than fragmented ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I tend to prefer wide meplats to hollowpoints. Less tendency for the boolit to peel or fragment vs just flattening and blunt force trauma'ing thru.
    Second that and a BHN 11-14 works for me !

Boolit Master

Agreed, I use 12ish, or Lyman #2 and a gas check if its booking

Boolit Grand Master
    Still a dead deer but how far will it run with just a 35 caliber hole?

50-70 yards depending how you measure it
    deer alot of time have to get the news that they are dead
    that far down the trail
    shot one this past season that made a bit of tracking necessary
    358 win 260 gr non hp 16-1 alloy covered in smokes pc bout 2100 fps
    staggered at the shot but managed a bit of a run
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Still a dead deer but how far will it run with just a 35 caliber hole?

50-70 yards depending how you measure it
    deer alot of time have to get the news that they are dead
    that far down the trail
    shot one this past season that made a bit of tracking necessary
    358 win 260 gr non hp 16-1 alloy covered in smokes pc bout 2100 fps
    staggered at the shot but managed a bit of a run
    I can tell you hogs fall over DRT and kick a second or so..

Agree with all of the last 7-8 posters. HP not needed, probably working against you.

A nice flat meplat with that alloy should give you good expansion even in the chest cavity without blowing up.

If you really feel you want to keep the hollow point I would go a bit softer.
    And read up on adding some copper to your alloy to make it tougher. Hang together better.

And I suspect most of that damage was caused by exploding bone.

Would not call that a failure, little extra work cleaning yes, but not a failure.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I am very familiar with goodsteel's thread. I've read it more than once. I think 1000fps vs 2050fps is sort of apples to oranges.

I would be curious how a wound with a WFN would look, same area and same fps. I'm sure the damage would be less, but I don't think it would be that much less.

I'm still if the opinion that the hollowpoint in and of itself didn't cause the entirety of the damage, but rather the secondary projectiles from impact with large bones.

Still waiting to hear about recovery of lead fragments and /or sheared petals that indicate the hollowpoint did in fact fragment.

The alloy is basically a wheelweight alloy equivalent, which are not know to be prone to shattering. I think a 50/50 ww/pure or range lead at 9-10 BHN might be more a appropriate alloy, but a dead deer is a dead deer.

Put the same bullet through the ribs at 950-1000fps and the expansion won't be there, especially with a WFN. Still a dead deer but how far will it run with just a 35 caliber hole? In a 44 or 45 , a WFN is what a 35 caliber hollowpoint wants to be and in the larger calibers I'd use a WFN or cup point.

Regardless, congrats on your harvest.
    I've shot deer and antelope with revolvers in that speed range, .44 magnum. Small entrance, exit around 3/4".
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I did not recover any lead fragments. I assume the bullet did what I wanted it to do. I wanted subsonic expansion. I would have to assume that it was bone fragments. I just did not expect that much damage from the bone. I dropped a buck with my 300wsm pushing 165gr HPBT gamekings at 3200fps. It was a longish shot so I decided to shoot him in the shoulder to anchor him. Lots of bone fragments but less than the 358 cast. My best guess is the HP on the cast bullet peeled off and the solid base plowed on through. I’m ok with that. I was just surprised at the damage. This is my first deer with the bullet so I don’t know how it will be next time. I don’t plan on changing a thing until I have more experience with it. For the record, these loads were meant for hogs and not deer. I’m curious what a shoulder shot on a hog would look like.

Well by golly you got sub sonic smash if not expansion.
    Wouldn't it be interesting to test that hollow point on a representative medium without the bones!

Boolit Buddy
    I may shoot it into water jugs and see. May also put a piece of plywood in front for a different test. Just to see if I can recover the bullets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast