RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best (or any) standard velocity bulk ammo?

Boolit Master

Best (or any) standard velocity bulk ammo?

I have put a pre-woodsman (1920) on layaway at the local fun store. I know this gun is only safe for standard velocity ammo.

Since I am a notoriously cheap bastard, I am hoping some folks can point me to a bulk ammo selection that will not over stress the gun. I don't have a chronograph, so testing is not an option for me.

I realize CCI makes a great standard velocity round, as well as the high end manufacturers such as Eley and Fiocchi, but I am really only looking for the cheap stuff that I could buy and shoot a brick out of in a day, and repeat again the next day buying the brand in a chain store 50 miles away. Please avoid the "I would not shoot anything but Eley in my pre-woodsman" comments. I realize that most people would only shoot $7.00 a box of 50 out of their "standard only" guns. I am not that guy unless I have to be.

I think the industry standard for standard velocity is right around 1135 fps. Any ideas or advise will be appreciated.

I'm cheap to and am buying CCI at $4 / box 50. I would like to find something cheaper. I'm not
    a formal target shooter but have several match autos that require Std vel. Can't afford to blow
    $40 brick stuff off as much as I would like. I think the ammo companies are slapping sub sonic
    labels on there Std Vel ammo to sell it to Can crowd for even higher prices. I don't think we are
    going to see $1 a box again but hope to see $2 when the hoarders and preppers get enough piled
    up to satisfy themselves.

Boolit Master
    The CCI mini mag is what I shoot when I am hunting, and when it is around is only 9 or 10 bucks a box. That is doable for me. However, i sure would like to hear from someone who suggest old box of the loose stuff that will get me on the road without worrying. I did some research on other sights and there are folks who recommend a couple of the big box store brands, but I don't trust any other gunsite members except those on castboolits for advise on loads and suggested data.

......lot's of intelligent gun lovers on here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use CCI Standard Velocity in my older Colts, both Woodsman and pre-Woodsman .22 autos. You want to use only waxed or greased bullets in these guns and not plated, as the plated bullets are also undersized and will lead the barrel. If trying other brands measure the bullet diameter with a micrometer and select unplated ammo in which the bullet diameter is .224" or larger. If your gun is leaded from previous use of dirty ammo, Kano Kroil and a brush is best for removing the leading. Use a toothbrush on the bolt face.

If the mainspring housing is checkered, it is the earlier non-heat-treated type and should be shot only with standard velocity ammo. If the mainspring housing is grooved straight across it is hardened and will handle high velocity ammo, however, due to age of these pistols, if your gun functions with standard velocity, I would limit use of high velocity to actual hunting use when the extra powder is wanted.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

My older (1956) Remington likes the Winchester Wildcat ammo best. Not everyone has it, but I find it at Academy pretty regular for cheapish prices.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 70's Woodsman target that will shoot any of the bulk 22 ammo, including high velocity.

Boolit Master
    Buy Norma Tac-22 when it's on sale. It's 1100 fps (1080 actually) and is not only affordable when it's on sale (frequently), but it's extremely accurate in every rimfire I own five shots .45" in my SW Victory and smaller in my CZ 455 American at fifty yards). It won't stress your gun and the results will be rewarding. You're buying a great gun. Somewhere there's a cut-off point between being cheap and being thrifty. Don't be one of those guys who buys a thousand dollar gun and shoots ninety-nine cent ammo. That's like mixing oil and water. Good luck with your new toy, it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Boolit Master

Blazer ammo is good stuff made by CCI
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Why anyone would recommend CCI MiniMags to a guy looking for Standard Velocity ammo beats me!

Standard Velocity has for as long as I can remember been 1070 to 1080 fps. MV from an 18 inch barrel. That lets out most of the common bulk ammo being made today, including Blazer, Thunderduds, Wildcat, all Federal except their "suppressor" load, und-und-und, which are all in the vicinity of 1250 and labelled "High Velocity".

If it isn't specifically labelled Standard Velocity, it ain't.

I shoot CCI Standard Velocity and Wolf Match in all my old boy's rifles that are not up to H.V. pressures. I don't know of any "cheap" S.V. ammo, (unless maybe Aquila?). For backyard varmints, (skunks, muskrats at close range) I am very pleased with CCI Quiet.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Aguila is generally reasonable, I picked up a case of subsonic hp at cabelas in ga last weekend for about 4$ a box of 50. Also a brick of Winchester 42? Ga hp subsonic for near the same. I like sub hp for squirrel hunting, all my rifles are sighted for them.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    All sorts of CCI SV have been selling for ~$250/case delivered (so $25/brick); at least three internet sellers recently. Relatively recently there was a MidwayUSA sale, and then TargetSports USA just a few days ago.

I can't see paying more than that, that price level is getting very easy to find these days. Am at two cases now, just can't justify stockpiling more even at those great prices.

If you're willing to buy online, here's Ammoseek:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr/-rimfire-40grains-

Lots of sellers offering Aguila S.V. for under $2.00/50 - What shipping does to that I didn't look up.

One seller has CCI Standard Velocity at $1.79/50 (the first listing when I logged on) The listing is wrong; CCI SV is 1070 fps, not 1125.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    CCI Blazer is running $25-28 a brick at the LGS, which is $10 less than the Fed and Rem bulk at the LGS. post obdumba it don't get much better.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    CCI Blazer is running $25-28 a brick at the LGS, which is $10 less than the Fed and Rem bulk at the LGS. post obdumba it don't get much better.
    Good news, but I have to say again that Blazer is High Velocity ammo, not Standard Velocity.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Man
    I ordered 4 bricks of CCI SV at Brownells on Monday for $85 shipped. That's $2.12 per 50.

If you're crafty enough with rebates/gift cards, Cabela's has Aguila SE SV for $1.87 per 50.

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone--I appreciate your time.

Boolit Bub
    For IHMSA rimfire out to 50 meters I use Aguila standard velocity, the thing I like about it is that it burns very cleanly and I think that's because of the priming compound.

Aguila find on Ammoseek search

Boolit Buddy
    I have a pre-woodsman too. As you said, do not put anything but standard velocity in it.

Boolit Master
    Just buy the least expensive 1040-1100 fps ammo available closest to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast