Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Thinking of changing

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Thinking of changing

I have a lyman sizer now that I am using but with PC and the pushing them base first is not the best setup for me right now.
    I am thinking of the NOE sizing body with bushings. I remember when they first came out and for some reason my search for that info is not working out for me.
    From what I have found it appears I need the body, size bushings and push rod also if I am looking at it right the nose sizing bushings will work with the die body. But do not see what else I would need to nose size besides the body and bushing ? do I use the same push rod ?
    From what I have found I see no problem with using it in a press that is mounted upside down. And cost wise it is the cheapest way to go I am not looking speed like a STAR would give me.
    Oh I noticed in the 45 cal they is a rifle push rod and a pistol push rod I am thinking the rifle one is longer then the pistol so should I just get the rifle one ?
    I been to his site looking for videos but all I can find is some guy that posted something on U tube and it appears hes not the expert I was hoping for.
    Right now I am leaning towards his product but would like to know if I may need something else that I may be missing.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I have NOE & Lee, prefer the Lee.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

pistol and rifle are 2 different dias in 45 cal .451-.454 in pistol and .457-.458 rifle this may be the reason for the 2 different pushers

Boolit Master
    I have NOE and a Lee. My NOE is 0.310, (for my 30 cal boolits). The Lee is 0.309. For some reason that I cannot explain, even though the Lee is trying to size smaller than the NOE, it takes a whole lot more press leverage to run boolits through the 0.310 NOE compared to the 0.309 Lee. I'm wondering if the NOE bushing has too steep of an entry angle. So, while the NOE works, I prefer the Lee.
    Hick: Iron sights!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

My thought was the rifle was longer since most rifle bullets tend to be longer then pistol bullet so the push road would need to be longer if that makes any sense.

Popper is there any reason you care to mention why you like the lee better ? Ease of just screw in the new die with out have to deal with bushings ?

Hick interesting comment had not even thought of the force needed to push the bullet threw which after a few hundred bullets your arm would notice I am sure.

Thanks for the responses gave me more to think about.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Noe hands down. First as you have stated the NOE can nose size . Second all bushings are mirror finished on the inside unlike Lee which half the time I have to polish with steel wool. Third NOE bushings are available in many diameters for each caliber ie .308,.309,.310,.311,.312,.313,.314,.315 And fourth you can size nose first or base first with the included adapter And yes the bushings are only about 1/2 inch tall the sizing angle is a little steeper. After PC a little lube in bushing greatly reduces friction. As to nose sizing there is a extra solid sleeve that comes with body purchase that will let you push nose sized boolits out of bushing by hand. Hope this helps. Oily

Boolit Buddy
    RP I am not proficient in copying and posting but I will see if I can post NOE instructions so you can get the drift of it all.

Longer, more shallow entry into the sizing area, shorter sizing area - Less deformation of softer alloy with the Lee. Nose sizing just didn't work for me, too many stuck boolits. Needs a special top punch even with lube on the nose. YMMV
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I've has a great experience with the NOE sizer. The Lee concept is sound, but I did not get the diameter that I ordered for the two dies that I purchased. The 6 NOE bushings that I have are right on. I did keep one of the Lee plastic cases, and it fits nicely on top of the NOE die for collecting boolits.

The only quibble that I have is that the push rod encounters The bullet where the press (mine's a RC 4) travel is still not in optimal leverage, so it takes a bit more effort, especially with gas checks. I've thought that if the bushings were longer, so that they sized higher in the die, it would afford more leverage.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 02-09-2018 at 02:20 PM.

I use NOE for sizes I can't get in Lee. As others have stated, the Lee takes much less force and is smoother to operate. I prefer the Lee sizers.

You need the NOE push through sizing kit and then the appropriate push rod and bushings that are needed from then on. The initial cost is more than the Lee but after that, just the relative inexpensive rod and bushings for different calibers. I have been using the NOE system for a couple of years now and it is a far better system than the Lee.

Can verify every thing that Oily has already posted

Boolit Buddy

Have both, the Noe system is quicker to change out the bushings than having to unscrew the Lee die, smaller storage space and who needs 10 bottles of Alox taking up space in a cabinet or on your bench.