Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trapdoor is .357 mag?

Boolit Master

I never tire of seeing Trapdoors, especially the carbines! I don't own one and never have but I have always loved the classic lines of the Trapdoor and fully intend to own one of my own someday -soon I hope. Good job and great looking gun, also the 357 seems like a great choice and all things considered that is definitely going to a fun gun, thanks for sharing this with us.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Sweet conversion! I look forward to seeing some paper!

Boolit Bub
    stunning. did you bed the barrel and make a bushing for the band? aesthetics really, but curious nontheless

If you use the muzzle type laser sighter, just rotate it to see the pattern (circle) and find the middle.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Well I drooled on the keyboard enough and finally jumped on the wagon, probably not going to be as pretty as yours, but I'll give it a shot. I bought one of those $40 barrels for a receiver I have lying around. gonna have to barter with the neighbor to let me use his lathe for a few afternoons. I think I'll go with the shorter 38spl chamber though, it's plenty for what plinking/varminting I might do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmasailor View Post
    stunning. did you bed the barrel and make a bushing for the band? aesthetics really, but curious nontheless
    An old peace of gun stock was shaped to cradle the barrel and glued in the barrel channel of the carbine stock. It’s only a couple inches long and positioned where the barrel band goes.

The barrel band has a piece of black vinyl trim glued inside the upper portion. There is a little bit of compression to the vinyl and it makes a very snug fit.

When I get time I’ll post some photos of the stock inlay and barrel band bushing.

Actually, .38 Sp is real fun to shoot. It’s like shooting a .22 only bigger. This would make a great youth or training rifle too. It’s not too heavy at 6.5 lbs. With almost no recoil, quite report whats not to like?
    It’s more fun than .357, which, out of a carbine is quite loud like a regular rifle and has some kick.
    Last edited by tbx-4; 05-27-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, finally got to do some half serious shooting with the .357 Trapdoor.

I was at 50 yards shooting from my little folding table with ammo box and towel for rest.

Shot the upper target first and was pleasantly surprised. Now the lower target was ok but for the two fliers. The high one was me but the low one was the ammo. It sounded different than the other shots, a little quieter and kind of a loud "pfft". Ammo was Remington 130 gr. FMJ in the white box. It's different then the 130 gr. FMJ in the green and white box. The white box ammo is canullard and crimped but the green and white box isn't.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234