Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trapdoor is .357 mag?

Boolit Buddy
    Cut the relief for the extractor and went out back and tried it out. Seems the extractor spring is too stiff to work with the narrow rim of the .357. Tried a softer spring but it worked just as good with out a spring.

My apologies for the blurry photos.

Last edited by tbx-4; 04-26-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If the extractor was a little longer it might work with the spring but then I'd have to chase the shell as it flies out. With no spring I can just tip up the barrel and let it fall out or flick the rim with my finger and it's in my hand.

May experiment with a different extractor in the future but for now it works and I need to solder on a front sight and make a rear tang mounted sight.

And so far I've shot 20 rounds of .38 sp and 15 rounds of .357 mag with no signs of any problems.

Thats awesome man. Thank you for sharing.

Boolit Master
    Well done and a good write up.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Good job... very cool.

Boolit Master

Very nice work and I appreciate your showing your lathe setups. I expect we both agree with Hamilton Bowen that a lathe and drill press are essential elements of a man's household.

Your last photo shows the imprint of the huge OEM firing pin, which will tend to limit your pressures before flow back occurs. Also, just to be complete, those early black powder firearm metals are soft by modern standards, so you'll want to watch for breech face damage from primer setback.

Someone with your talent and git-after-it might choose to bush the pin and reduce it's diameter and protrusion. If you do that, I hope you'll show your setups here.

Boolit Buddy
    Guys, thanks for the kind comments!

Nueces,
    I’d like to say that a lathe is essential but I never owned one till now. And hadn’t used one since vo-tech school in 1974. Bought my first drill press 7-8 years ago. What metal working I’ve done has been by hand.

About the firing pin, the primers on the .357 cases show a slight deformation but no set back is observable. Will keep an eye on it though. Thanks for the caution.
    No deformation at all on the .38 sp.

I might find another firing pin and turn down the very tip to a more appropriate size.
    I was also thinking the hammer spring may be too heavy too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    Nueces,
    I’d like to say that a lathe is essential but I never owned one till now. And hadn’t used one since vo-tech school in 1974. Bought my first drill press 7-8 years ago. What metal working I’ve done has been by hand.
    I have a similar history. Graduated from the USAF machinist's course in 1969, but did not own a lathe for some years afterward. I love the little bugger and the WWII Walker Turner drill press, but hand tools are still king. I would love to take a life sabbatical for a couple of years and be an apprentice at Holland & Holland, learning the art of the file, saw and chisel.

Boolit Master
    Great idea great skill.

Good job on the barrel, extractor and lathe! It won't be too long till you'll be wanting a mill and another lathe, and..... Your lathe is a little older than my oldest one a 1952 Sheldon lathe, but I have a 1880's E.E. Garvin horizontal mill that was repowered from line shaft to a scrap electric pump motor and a transmission off of a 1920's lathe at some point. Even the power feed on it still works.

Boolit Master
    My lathe is an 1894 Porter Machine works. I don't have the spindle that went in the ceiling but everything else is there. A frame above holds an electric motor and a model A transmission. The Babbitt bearings need to be recast but as long as I don't crowd it too hard it does pretty good work.
    It would really be helpful if I was a machinist but I am not!
    It's a lot of fun though.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

I like the way you just jumped into this and did it. I've bookmarked this thread.

Dutch

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Dutch,
    Sometimes things just fall together like there were ment to.

You all are seeing this in a time compressed manner but there’s obviously more details and planning than I’m showing. Some thought went into how to perform certain operations but ended up being figured out on the fly. Like I said, it just seemed to fall together.

But I do appreciate everyone’s kind comments.

Moleman,
    I’m looking for a milling machine now.

Eventually I’d like to build a complete action, even for .22 lr.

At the moment I’m waiting for parts to arrive so I can continue with this project. Then there’s every day life to deal with, gotta keep priorities straight. Gotta keep momma happy too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    Trying to hold that little piece and file on it is hard on the 'ol fingers!

What I do when filing small parts, which I do quite often, is to hold them with a pair of long nose Vise-Grips and sometimes I even then hold the Vise-Grips in a small vise on my work bench for an even more sold hold. Sure makes it easier on the fingers and the part finishes quicker with a more "crisp" look to it because of sharper corners, etc.

I sure would like to find some detailed drawings of a Trapdoor, anyone know of any? I have searched on the 'net but so far found nothing with much detail to it, dimensions would not be necessary but a clear and detailed parts schematic of the working parts would be nice.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master

tbx-4

You might try shortening the extractor spring or using a weaker one so it just pops the case back into the action. I've done that on my target TD so I don't have to chase/pu cases during a match but can just pick them out of the open action.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Coming together very nice! That's a perfect round for that gun. I had an original Trapdoor Carbine that beat the heck out of me, I wasn't reloading for it, so just factory rounds. No joy shooting it, couldn't even get through a full box, so out the door it went.

Boolit Buddy
    oldred,
    I need to get some needle nose vice grips. That would sure help.
    For some of the filing I have an old Palmgren angle vice but for the fine work it was all by hand.

Larry,
    I tried a lighter spring but it didn’t work any better than no spring. I’ll look at trying another spring once I get sights on it and it’s dialed in. It’s good enough for now though.

Speedo,
    I made a cavalry carbine out of a sporterized Trapdoor. Looks just like one with all the right dimensions and it don’t beat me up at all. In fact it’s enjoyable to shoot. I use a 405 gr cast boolits over 22 gr of IMR4198... I’m leary about shooting factory ammo in a Trapdoor, even if it does say 45-70 Gov.

You did an awesome job on that gun. Since Star made the barrel, I wouldn't worry about quality. Threads like this inspire me. Thanks for sharing and a big ten four on keeping Momma happy.

Boolit Grand Master

oldred,

Larry,
    I tried a lighter spring but it didn’t work any better than no spring. I’ll look at trying another spring once I get sights on it and it’s dialed in. It’s good enough for now though.

Probably because the 357 is a straight taper case and the 45-70 is tapered......that would make the 45-70 pop out and eject easier. Texas by God is right....awesome rifle, well done

I love shooting my TDs, was out last week shooting my H&R Officer's Model which I put a Beech front sight and original M1879 rear sight on. I was shooting out to 1000 yards with the M1879 sight.....what a hoot.....hostiles to the front!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Very nice Sir.Thanks for posting.Please update as you are able.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast