Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Anyone cast 0000 and 00000 buck?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone cast 0000 and 00000 buck?

Just wondering who here casts for both of these, 4 ought, and 5 ought. I'm working on a shot display (not to load), to take to hunter safety classes and reaching out for a hand. I need around 75 pellets 1#? of each. I posted on sale section with no hits, hoping one of the shot gun casters here could help, PM me. Admin. if I can't post this here let me know.
    Swaging. Keeping the 40's running for the price of .22's
    and .223 bullets for a fraction of a cent!

Boolit Master
    i be leave # 4 ought. buck is for 20 gauge. but i have never heard of # 5 ought buck. if # 4 ought buck is for a 20 gauge just get one and take it apart.

If there is #5 buck I've never heard of it. #4 is usually 12 bore with 27 pellets in 2 3/4" load and 41 pellets in the 3" load, 20 bore is usually loaded with #3.
    Addendum: OK, I was reading as #4 buck as opposed to 0000 buck...never saw larger than 000.
    Last edited by quail4jake; 02-07-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Boolit Master

I believe you fellows are misunderstanding this gentleman's request. He is NOT looking for #4 buckshot as is commonly loaded in 20 ga. shells. Rather, he is looking for 0000 and 00000 buckshot, both of which are much larger than the 00 buckshot that is commonly loaded in 12 ga. defense loads. 00, or "double-ought" buckshot is something like .32 caliber, or thereabouts. I've never seen anything bigger than 000 buckshot, not to say it doesn't exist. It would be on the order of .36 caliber, perhaps larger.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Center shot is correct. 0000 (4/0) buck is .375-.38", the harder(ist) to find 00000 (5/0) is .395". I know I can order some loaded shells, but at that expense I might as well buy the molds and this project is already getting out of hand price wise. I know theres guys (and gals) casting these, and hence the reason I'm asking.

Boolit Bub
    I have A 6 cavity .395 mold. Have not cast any out of it yet. How many do you need and when as I may cast some this weekend....?
    I also have a box of .375 round balls, so I could include some of them as well. Let me know.... Bobby

Boolit Master
    0000B is a recent analog construct by handloaders loading .380" pellets in 10 bore shotguns.

Actually, not that long ago historically speaking that American shotgunners knew and used Eastern and Western monikers for buckshot sizes. Indeed Remington marked their line of buckshot with both size designations up until the late 1930's. And buckshot handloaders used both systems well into the latter half of the 20th century.

This Lawrence Brand Shot brochure is most likely from the early 1970's. On page three, it has two charts. one for Western Buckshot and another in American Buckshot sizes. Note: The term "American" replaced "Eastern" in industry nomenclature around 1960.

Western Buckshot runs from #9 (.25") to #1 (.38").
    So 20 gauge 3 inch Magnum fans, take note of your favorite #7 1/2 Buckshot loads!

http://www.lawrencebrandshot.com/wp-...ndleadshot.pdf

Today commercial buckshot,(3 or more pellets), is recognized in a broad range of sizes from B to Tri-Ball 12. That is .17" to .60" Indeed there is pressure tested data for loading your own Dixie Tri-Ball on this forum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B Eastern   0B Western.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	213719
    Last edited by RMc; 02-09-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    JoseBob, PM sent
    RMc, Thank you for the info! I was so proud when I found "dust", but darn it now I see there is one called "fine dust". I may have to do some sifting/sorting. I caught onto the idea of Dixie tri ball, and ended getting the mold!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll get some pictures up when the project comes a little closer together

Boolit Master
    By the way, 00B and Western #3 Buckshot are the same size. This is why WWI vets from the Western states often called military buckshot cartridges of the era "three buck" loads.

The '51 Colt Navy revolver and the dual tube ten bore front loader were favorites with Southern Cavalerie of the "Late Unpleasantness" for reasons largely forgotten today. Western #1 Buckshot (.380") was a highly popular 19th century buckshot size in 10 gauge shotguns of the muzzleloading and even the early cartridge era. This certainly made sense, onsidering the popularity of the 1851 Colt Navy revolver and the fact that it too used the .380 lead ball.
    Last edited by RMc; 02-08-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    More awesome info! Thanks RMc

If all you need is a small amount you might look at Lee round ball molds, Titan Reloading (site sponsor link at top of page) has some and Track of the Wolf may have a more complete listing.

I see the sizes listed in earlier post offered there. 2 cavity is $22 making a pound with 2 cavities shouldn't be too bad. Little rough if one was making 25# bag.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/...1?PageSize=100
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    000 buck is about .36 caliber.
    0000 and 00000 buck is merely a muzzle loader roundball mold, 38 and 40 cal respectively

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    000 buck is about .36 caliber.
    True the nominal diameter of 000B Easter/American Standard is .36". However, I have yet to measure a 000B pellet from a factory loaded shell that measured larger than .35".

Boolit Master
    Of course when you factor in commercial buckshot pellets currently offered to the handloader, variations on the theme expand quite unexpectedly:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Buc...tinfo/00MBUCK/

So I would suggest presenting a representative selection of the extremes of large and small with some of the most popular sizes in between.
    Last edited by RMc; 02-09-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Your right, most of the larger stuff I've cut open do mic. undersized. Also the quality of shot between manufactures really varies alot! I've come to appreciate Remington shot as it seems to be the most consistent with good quality. Now take that with a grain of salt as I'm basing my opinion off such a small volume of shells.

Boolit Master
    You can buy 0000 from BPI . And you can buy .395-.400 roundballs from Dixie or Track of the Wolf .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to know about those sites now. I see track of wolf carries the 1 buck I'll need.
    Super thanks goes to JoseBob for helping me out on this project.

Boolit Master
    Current industrial 8 Gauge cartridges:

http://winchesterindustrial.com/loads.html

Current Industrial 8 Gauge Shotguns

http://winchesterindustrial.com/equipment.html