RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems seating cast boolits

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Problems seating cast boolits

Hello to everyone,

This will be my first post here, but I've heard a lot of good things about this forum.

Last week I cast my first Lead boolits .312 160 gr. for a Mosin. After some practice, my boolits were turning out pretty nice.

The next day I started to load up some rounds and had a lot of problems with them not lining up straight in the case. Seating them deeper helped some as did the crimping die. We were able to load them all and didn't have any problems and no leading. We had loaded very light loads.

I have never had this problem with jacketed bullets. I know my lead is not that hard. It is all from recovererd range scrap. I plan add something to harden it if I start increase the loads.

Can you please help me out with this problem?

Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Look for a tool that goes in your press that will slightly flair the mouth of the case. I think Lee makes them. A great investment if you plan on doing much with lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    When loading cast bullets (boolits in our argot), the case mouth must be "belled" ever so slightly to accept the bullet. Left narrow, as is the practice when loading jacketed, the case mouth will shear off bits of lead here and there. There are a few ways to "bell" the case mouth: Lee make a universal die to "open" the mouth slightly. Basically forcing a cone into the case mouth to achieve the belling. Opened like a funnel, the lead will enter and not shear off. Lyman makes an "M" die, that when properly adjusted, will make that funnel like opening in the brass. Other ways will, no doubt, be offered up in a few minutes.

Welcome aboard, by the way. You'll like it here.

Super Moderator

The Lee universal die works well without making a major investment. Flare the neck just enough so that the gas check will be inside the neck.https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/14...-expanding-die

Boolit Grand Master

I was wondering if belling the case could have something to do with it. How far down do you need to go?

While pistol dies come w/ a built-in case expander/mouth "bell" capability, the two-die rifle set does not.

Get/use the https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/14...-expanding-die mentioned above to open the rifle case mouth up juuuuust enuf that the bullet/gas-check will enter about a dime's width to start. (no more)

Then seat normally, with the crimp die set to turn the mouth back into to either straight-wall (no crimp groove) or slightly crimped into the groove if there is one.

Boolit Buddy
    Just enough to start the boolit. What are you sizing your boolits to and are you using a gas check?

Boolit Master

As others have stated, the Lee tool is good, it's what I use and getting the inserts for it helps specialy if you full lenght size. You can skip the inserts by minimaly resizing your necks and then just belling the case mouth. Doesnt take much bell. Just enough to sit a bullet in it. Also floating your seater die a touch helps by allowing every thing to naturally center and align. Mine arent always dead center when i place the bullet in tulhe case mouth. I eyeball it ae close as possible and the seating die do its job.

After though for the inserts. It turns the lee tool into a lyman M die so it expands the entire neck so your neck tensions doesnt swag the bullet.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I have a RCBS flaring tool for my 30 caliber brass. It works like any other. The one thing I did learn is to put a note in the die box when finished as to what brass I last used it on. Flaring 30/06 brass when the die is set up for .308 makes for an interesting case...and useless.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Flaring tool might not be necessary if you have an inside deburring tool. It may be worth a shot if you can get your hands on one. I know that RCBS makes them and I bought mine decades ago so I have no idea about the price.
    The beburr tool is just a simple hand operated multi-fluted drill that makes a 60 degree bevel in the case mouth.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for your replys. I have ordered the Lee expanding die with two different inserts. Says it will work on everything. Now I have to wait for it to come in the mail. I hope it solves the problem.

Thanks again,

Greg

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Thanks for your replys. I have ordered the Lee expanding die with two different inserts. Says it will work on everything. Now I have to wait for it to come in the mail. I hope it solves the problem.

Thanks again,

Greg
    Now you will have to buy a firearm of every caliber just to see if it is true.

Boolit Buddy
    I will second the Lee universal expanding die. That is EXACTLY what I use for reloading Lee .312 185gr boolits in my Mosin, works great. Flare the neck just enough that the boolit will stand up in it without you having to hold it. Then when seating the boolit push it down a few millimeters, back off the ram in the press, rotate the boolit in the shell holder about 1/3 of the way around, do a few more millimeters, repeat. I usually don't have the boolit fully seated to the chosen COAL until I have pressed it down 3 or 4 different times with rotation in between. Helps it stay straight.

Be aware that the die comes with two plugs inside for different calibers of neck to bell. You can set it up so that it has only one of the plugs inside, or both of them, depending on how long your case is. Mosin cases are long, I had to set it up with only one of the two plugs inside. Hold onto the other one though
    Currently in the process of developing the "perfect" cast .223 load for my AR-15. Click here to follow my progress

Boolit Grand Master

My Lee 7.62x54R reloading dies needed a few things done to make them cast bullet ready, they are sent ready to load .308 jacketed bullets. I ordered a 303 British expander plug from Lee and put it in the FL sizer die. The seater die would not let a .313" bullet pass through it( I now load .314 and .315 cast), I honed it out with a dowel and emery cloth until one .315" would just slip through. I use a Lyman 31 cal M die which is set to put a flare on the mouth and open the neck. Once you get rid of the bullet interference in the seater die and the excessive neck tension(bet your dies are sizing to .305-6" inside neck diameter-way too small for a cast .313 bullet) put a flare on the case mouth you will be able to seat bullets straight in the neck. .02

add. I recently bought a 30 cal Hornady universal neck sizer die, it works great except it too sizes the necks too much, .305-6 inside diameter, using the M die to expand works but you are working the brass a lot, keep the necks annealed will extend life
    Last edited by swheeler; 02-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    NOE also makes expander plugs that open the neck up for cast boolits,
    flare the case mouth and ARE USED IN THE LEE DIE.

Work like a charm.

Boolit Grand Master

Here's a hint to play with while you're waiting; if you have a pair of long nose pliers, the ones with the long, tapered jaws, hold a case in one hand, insert the pliers (closed) into the case neck, push and twist. This should give the case mouth a bit of flare, usually enough to start a cast bullet. Even with the proper tool/die, you may need to guide the bullet into the seating die as you raise the ram...

And look into Lyman's "M" dies. They flare the mouth and expand the neck to accept cast bullets...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used all 3 of the makers' tools mentioned in this thread--the Lee, the RCBS, and the Lyman M-die. My preference is the M-die, but all 3 systems with do the job. So too will mdi's suggestion--to turn the case mouth with a closed jaw set from needle-nosed pliers. Lots of ways to skin this particular cat.

Welcome to the site and to the hobby field!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think just flaring the case mouth will have the desired effect if the necks are being sized down too much, stuffing a .313" bullet into a .305" neck is way too much, they'll seat crooked or get sized down.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    I use Lyman's "M" dies for all my case flaring needs because that die will flare the case mouth evenly. Just keep in mind that you want to flare only enough of the mouth to just allow the bullet base with gas check to fit into the case. I use the Lee bullet seating die with its floating seating stem in all the calibers I shoot and it removes the flare from the "M" die nicely. I then use the Lee crimp die for a light final light crimp and I am good to go. My Finnish M28/30 in 7.62 Russian loves this loading set-up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post

Thanks again,

Greg
    I have one and in truth it actually only flairs or bells the case mouth, which in a lot of instances is all you need. An addition to the Lee tool, that works well with getting a long rifle boolit lined up and seated straight is the NOE Expander Plug , meant to be used with the Lee Universal tool.
    For $6.50 it provides an expander that works like the Lyman M Die, the absolute best way to get them started in a case.
    A Lyman M-Die runs about $22.00....I can afford many more NOE plugs than M-Dies.
    Go to the NOE site and look closely at the plug, you will see the two steps on it, the lower one holds the boolit straight and the upper step is the flair/bell. This little thing is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to seating boolits .
    I use the Lee flare on short handgun boolits but it's easy to get them cockeyed if not careful.
    Slip in the NOE Plug and seating them " No Problemo" as Arnold would say.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast