MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Why I Like WST

Why I Like WST

During the Obama years we all began to move out of our comfort zone & use different propellants ......... using what was available.

My son calls me. He's in a distant city @ a sporting goods store & says he could get 8 lbs. of WST & wanted to know if I could use it. I did some quick research & told him to buy.

WST is now my .38 Spec. & .45 ACP powder (it'll also work well in .44 spec. , but I use Red Dot there).

It burns clean, meters perfectly, accurate & it's bulky. My 550 is not equipped with any aftermarket light but with a common goose neck lamp I can see if I have a double charge (haven't had one yet).

One image shows a 4.7 gr. charge (200 gr. #068.......5.1 is max.). The other image shows a double charge.

I use 4.2 gr. with the #452374 (4.3 is max).

I like HP38 & have plenty on hand, but use more WST now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-032S.JPG   MVC-033S.JPG  

I am also using WST in 38 special and 45 ACP. I even used it a little in 9mm but since my 9mm guns are more accurate with speedier loadings, I don't use it in 9mm anymore.
    I have been loading 4.1 grains in my 45ACP with all cast boolit weights from 185 to 230 grains with excellent results. Not the most powerful load but very accurate.

Boolit Man
    Works good in 40S&W with 185’s

Comfortable recoil

Boolit Buddy
    I also use WST in .45acp under 200gr and .38spc under 125 and 158gr boolits. Burns clean and meters perfectly out of the Dillons, unlike the most used powder in my other pistol calibers, 700X. WST's great drop characteristics are shared with WSF also. It is a little slower and less economical in 9x19, but I find WSF has a softer recoil impulse at the same velocity when compared to 700X or Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    My last 1k loads or so have been WST for the 45acp. I bought a few lbs when I couldn't find anything else and it worked so well i bought a few more. Nice and clean, very soft recoil for me with the hg 68 clone.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I went through a bunch of WST that was left over from my trap shooting days, then I tried WSF and went through a bunch more of that. Both are excellent in a progressive due to flow and bulk, WST for lighter loads but I really liked WSF for full WWII 230gr FMJ Ball performance level loads (830-850fps).

Funny thing, my guns functioned much better than using factory 720fps white box.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

I've heard it said that WST seems to smoke less when shooting cast bullets with traditional lubes, too. Apparently, it just doesn't burn up the lube like other powders???

Good to know guys. I've a 4 pound bottle that I bought when I was getting low, was going to use in 9mm, but I'll save for my 38sp loads now that I've got a couple of wheelguns. After the 3 pounds of Bullseye is gone

Boolit Master
    I've shot many, many pounds of WST, mostly in my S&W 610 revolvers in USPSA competition using a 205 gr cast bullet & 3.7 grs of powder. This load always made power factor for me all over the Northwest. One year I fired 54,000 rounds & another year I fired 32,000 rounds, all with the above load. Very clean & a stable load in all weather conditions. I also use it in several other handgun calibers.

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    I couldn't find BE or Reddot during the Obama shortage either so like some of you was able to get WST. I like it just as well as my BE load. I use 4.7 grains under a H&G 68 clone so my 8 pounds will do me for a while.
    Last edited by Brad Cayton; 02-09-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Like others I bought 8 lbs. during the Obama years. Then I bought a bunch of powders from a older fellow that was getting rid of everything so I never got around to trying the WST. From the conversations here I think I will give it a try. Around the same time I bought the WST I ordered 8 lbs. of 700x but Grafs sent 800 x by mistake. By the time I got it the 700X was no longer available so I kept the 800X. It meters so badly that I haven't used much of it. Talk about dinner plate size disks!