WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone talked with Grmps lately ?

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I dunno, but I am guessing he may not for a while if he got ticked off about it. Not knowing the circumstances behind the situation leaves anyone not privy to that info, only able to guess. Unless ya contact him thru other means to find out, it is a, "wait & see" type deal, IMO.

I thought he was a helpful feller & had some good ideas on doing things. In particular, DIY type ideas.

I hope he does return, but of course, it will be his choice, as well as the staff here & their decisions about things.

Like said, "wait & see", or you will have to contact him through another method to find out...

Personally, I am going to wait & see for a while. Then , if he does not return, I will try to contact him thru his email, if I can find it.
    ... yes, wait-N-see, I've tried contacting him also but...if he doesn't log-in here @ CB's he won't know anybody's trying.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

There certainly seems to be a lot of regulars missing here of late. Lots of knowledge gone. The membership numbers don't show it but my memory says so. Some even left on their own for whatever. If we lose the older members we will also lose the vast experience which is the value of such a forum. Civility seems to be a great art of the lost knowledgeable.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    ... yes, wait-N-see, I've tried contacting him also but...if he doesn't log-in here @ CB's he won't know anybody's trying.
    His email is accessable from his profile page. Look over to the left & below his avatar. 2nd option down, IIRC.

You can try there if ya have not already & I believe it goes to his email & not a PM.

-----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    There certainly seems to be a lot of regulars missing here of late. Lots of knowledge gone. The membership numbers don't show it but my memory says so. Some even left on their own for whatever. If we lose the older members we will also lose the vast experience which is the value of such a forum. Civility seems to be a great art of the lost knowledgeable.
    I have noticed this myself. I am not an "old timer" here, but I have entertained "taking a break" here, due to what I see is a lack of some of those "old timers" sharing "their" knowledge, & the "old timers" who are still here seem to come off, IMO, as "talking down" more than necessary, to share what "they" know.

Another issue, ( which I have discussed with Grmps, incidentally) , is the amount of folks who do not want to take the time to search for the already discussed subjects/topics in which they are trying to get info, before they make a new topic asking about the same & then want to be "spoon fed" the info they seek by others. Which gets quite" old" & I reckon that I am not the only one who decides not to share any knowledge on the subject if they do not want to make the effort to search a bit on their own..

Perhaps, Grmps just decided to take a longer break than he was "issued" for a while, because of those type things as well..??

Anyway, once again.. "time will tell." If he returned, perhaps he will tell us, if not... it is his prerogative either way...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I hope he returns he is entertaining. Sometimes there is to much info on a certain subject ,an it can get a little confusing at times . I have been casting and reloading for many years an still learning all the time so it does not bother me . Maybe how many pounds of ww in a 5 gallon bucket? Who cares!

Moderator Emeritus

Age old problem with ALL forums. Newbies don't bother to search. But we need to share what we know even if it a repeat over and over. Think of it as teaching a new student every year in school, same curriculum...

His email is accessable from his profile page. Look over to the left & below his avatar. 2nd option down, IIRC.

You can try there if ya have not already & I believe it goes to his email & not a PM.

-----------------------

I have noticed this myself. I am not an "old timer" here, but I have entertained "taking a break" here, due to what I see is a lack of some of those "old timers" sharing "their" knowledge, & the "old timers" who are still here seem to come off, IMO, as "talking down" more than necessary, to share what "they" know.

Another issue, ( which I have discussed with Grmps, incidentally) , is the amount of folks who do not want to take the time to search for the already discussed subjects/topics in which they are trying to get info, before they make a new topic asking about the same & then want to be "spoon fed" the info they seek by others. Which gets quite" old" & I reckon that I am not the only one who decides not to share any knowledge on the subject if they do not want to make the effort to search a bit on their own..

Perhaps, Grmps just decided to take a longer break than he was "issued" for a while, because of those type things as well..??

Anyway, once again.. "time will tell." If he returned, perhaps he will tell us, if not... it is his prerogative either way...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Age old problem with ALL forums. Newbies don't bother to search. But we need to share what we know even if it a repeat over and over. Think of it as teaching a new student every year in school, same curriculum...
    Good analogy. Had not thought of it that way.
    I will try to keep that in mind. Thanks!, for pointing that out!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

In Remembrance
    He is back. lol

Boolit Master
    I see that as well. Now, to see if he posts.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

In Remembrance
    I see that as well. Now, to see if he posts.
    He posted in the infamous redhead thread. lol

Boolit Master
    What changed?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Hi GRMPS.Welcome back.Missed your great posts.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Moderator Emeritus

I retired! Health issues are impacting me... need less stress

Boolit Master
    I retired! Health issues are impacting me... need less stress
    Mary, Thanks for everything you have done here. Wishing you plenty of stress free relaxation.

Boolit Master

Very well said!
    I was very knowledgeable when I came here, due to reading and studying Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Third Edition.
    This one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman-cast3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	214904

It is still available! See this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...blications-LLC

Still, there was so much I didn't know and I didn't know what I didn't know!

Also, new techniques have been found since 1981. Like Powder Coating and High Tech Coating.
    Old techniques, too! Like how to load cast boolits in military rifles, including load data! See this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article

I have been on this forum for years and I still haven't found all of the really neat stuff that I really need to know!

So here are a few of the really important things I have learned here from Stickies:
    How to load cast boolits in military rifles, including load data!
    Lyman mould chart from Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables
    Hensley & Gibbs mould list and charts
    New sources for custom moulds such as Mihec and NOE which only cost a bit more than Lyman and RCBS
    An alloy spread sheet to make calculating alloys simple
    Tricks and tips on how to care for moulds

I have found the Search and Advanced Search functions on this forum leave a lot to be desired. Sometimes they help me find stuff and some times they just seem useless! Maybe it is just that the "key" words are so common on this forum that there is no way to sort the wheat from the chaff.

So, to summarize, it doesn't bother me when someone asks a question that has been answered many times already. I'll just answer it as well as I can!
    We need these new people. They are the future of casting and the Second Amendment!

Boolit Master

I could tell ya where a lot of them went.
    Some have "poured their last cast bullet" such as Wilco (fairly recently) others have wandered to other sites

Banned

And those sites are moribund
    A couple new posts a day
    I will check in, but not much going on
    What is going on is great
    Just wish there was more action
    This is the place that leads the pack, for sure, for posting and information

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone talked with Grmps lately ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    And those sites are moribund
    A couple new posts a day
    I will check in, but not much going on
    What is going on is great
    Just wish there was more action
    This is the place that leads the pack, for sure, for posting and information
    It's because this forum came about first and has years of posts behind it. Most forums start out slowly. Most of the knowledgeable posters have left for those forums. Time will tell what their fate is. Same for this forum. I've watched many thriving forums die over the years. None are immune from it.

Boolit Master

The one's I was referring to are mostly by invitation only. Can't mention some of them here, possible infraction. There are two that I'm familiar with that are past mainly filled with contributors to this forum, some ex-mods. You are right about some of the other sites being "dead", but these two are vibrant and the contributors are top notch. I visit all three, several times daily, still lots of info to digest and so little time. I agree this site is possibly the number one site for posting, sketchy about the info though. I enjoy a mix of information from the highly technical to the common sense casting techniques, always learning new stuff. There was a fellow by the nom de plume of Rangefinder who was filled with good info and even made a hollowpoint mold from a old Lyman mold I had and was reasonable in his pricing. Haven't seen a post from him in a year or so. He also was involved with survival teaching in the Colo mountains IIRC.
    Folks come and go for several reasons, heavy handed mods seems to be one of the major reasons. I had trouble with a particular mod once but survived by having the Pit removed from my viewing by #1; seems to have been the solution.
    BTW, hows Mo. working out?

Banned

Missouri aka the Ozarks are all I could ask for
    I am out of The Pit as well
    In fact I am Lazarus
    I will shoot you a PM this weekend

Boolit Master

Fantastic!! I live just a crows flight path from your abode.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12