Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
PBcastco Load Data

Thread: Marlin 39A sights Question

Marlin 39A sights Question

I did run a search,but could not find an answer for my question. The other night I had to repel an invasion of a large aggressive raccoon that tore through the screens surrounding our pool. I managed the job with my 1977 Marlin 39A,but realized the sights I had on it certainly weren't working well. I had a williams 5D receiver sight and a .250 height firesight insert.

Could not see anything through peep,so removed aperture. Front sight fiber optic pin very small and hard to pick up.

Decided it might be best to return to the original rear sight and get a fiber optic front with a larger pin.
    Then maybe top it with a red dot,as it is basically a gun for varmints.

The only rear sight I could locate for a marlin in my junk is I think from a centerfire rifle,long with a semi-buckhorn leaf. Then tried scope mount ,but it was long enough that it contacted the rear sight elevator. Also the scope mount set the red dot up a lot higher than was comfortable to sight through.

Pretty frustrated with it so decided to buy a different set of sights. I considered several rear sights,I even considered buying a Skinner sight,but the FAQ indicates there is no way he can tell which front sight will work with it.

Finally located a rear sight that was unobtrusive and seemed perfect. A Marbles folding leaf rear sight. The same as they use on a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

So after all this jabbering I have a couple questions. Can anyone tell me what height fiber front sight insert I need to use with a 10/22 rear sight? Can anyone recommend a Marlin 39A scope base that sets low on the receiver?

Will appreciate advice and suggestions as well.

Thanks For Looking

Iron sights at night have to be backlit. With scopes the light must be in front of the eyepiece. Please don't red dot that classic.
    Get a single shot .410 for those night time masked bandits. It's safer for all except the 'coon.
    IMO.
    Brownell's can answer the sight heighth question.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks Texas,much appreciated,might give brownell's a call. I use a .22 rifle with cb longs so as not to wake my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by TWBryan View Post
    Thanks Texas,much appreciated,might give brownell's a call. I use a .22 rifle with cb longs so as not to wake my neighbors.
    I get it. I lived in the city for a few years and .22 CB's accounted for crows, squirrels, and one big dog food eating possum. On the farm, my dogs don't even flinch unless someone has a muzzle brake. I still buy the CBs whenever I find them however- they are SO fun.

Texas,I'm blessed in that I own a few good .22 rifles.I got a deal on the 39a I own,because it was very rough to cycle a round. I managed to find the issue and replaced a part,has run great since.I also have a Remington 121 Field model that belonged to my father,and a Winchester 77 that belongs to an Uncle in a nursing home. I also own a Mossberg bolt-action that won't feed from the magazine ,well three out of four ain't bad. I went ahead and ordered a set of 10/22 sights off evilbay and when they get there I'll use Brownell's sight calculator to determine what the front sight height should be.

A few points:

1) Fiber optics sights depend upon the available ambient light to illuminate, so they are not the best choice for shooting in very poor or no light.

2) A Weaver rail is as low as a scope mount base can get, but if anything but low rings are installed, it's like shoveling sand against the tide.

3) Proper sight height is easily calculated, after a few basic measurements are taken - the sighting point of both the front & rear sights should be of equal height above the bore C/L.

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/si....htm?lid=13186

Often, the optimum "sight" for dealing with critters at night is a removable/replaceable strip of 1/2" wide white medical adhesive tape run down the length of the top of the barrel.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Pietro,thank you for your advice. I use mostly fiber optics these days due to oes (old eyes syndrome) ,it's either that or the front sight is a blur. I intend to use the Brownell's calculator to determine the proper front sight height after I get the rear sight I want installed. If I get the sights squared away I might make a flashlight holder out of kydex to fit under the barrel. Probably won't need any of this,but I hate being caught unprepared to deal with something.

TW- this is a little bit redneck, but it works for me on my 870 shotgun to see the bead at night.

Texas,looks like a key light? I thought those had only momentary switches though. Darn good idea ,my mossberg 500AT has a plastic rail mount that attaches to the mag tube.I've got a tlr-1 mounted to it.

No, this one clicks on and off. $4 at Lowes.
    Worth a shot- pun intended.

Texas,I'll look for them next time I am in Lowe's,thanks for the tip.

Received 10/22 rear sight (Marble Arms 369) ,took measurements and installed on gun. Ran brownell's calculator which said I need a front sight of .3659. I subtracted the ramp height from that which indicates I need a front sight insert of .270 . The current front sight insert is .220.

So far can't locate a fiber optic front sight insert that is the right height. Closest I have is a tru-glo that would replace ramp and insert and is roughly .400 height.

So looking for advice,should I back up and try a different rear sight? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks For Looking.