RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Opinions needed

Boolit Master

Opinions needed

Looking at picking up a new .22. I have a 10/22 with some improvements and a Wards Westernfield that I inherited from my grandfather. I believe that the Wards is a Mossberg 45 that was made from 1937 thru 1938. Still shoots great for being 80 years old.
    Looking as either a CZ 455 American or the CZ 455 Varmit, with the heavier barrel. Mostly bench and maybe some silhouette shooting. I haven't shot or even held either, so some opinions from owners would be appreciated. What you like, dislike and some real world accuracy report would be welcome.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Boolit Master
    I do not shoot bench for competition, but do most of my shooting off a bench. I want a rifle to be accurate.. Only way for me to know is to shoot off the bench... then I know when shooting is off... it is me, not the rifle... I have owned a couple of CZ455's.. my first was the American combo with the extra .17HMR barrel... the rifle was very accurate and a real step up from my other .22 rifles... I smoothed up the trigger and action with spring kits and was amazed at the little rifle... found I did not care that much about the .17HMR more expensive to shoot and not any more accurate... then I came across the CZ455 FS(full stock)... wow! I loved that rifle's look and feel and bought it... only room in my safe and wallet for 1 real nice .22 so my cousin is the proud owner of the 455 Combo... I personally don't think you will go wrong with one... I wouldn't recommend the heavier gun without holding it first to see how it feels to you... you should go over to rimfirecentral forum and check out the cz section... a whole lot of info there.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    I've shot rimfire competition for many, many years and I've had a good number of rifles and handguns that were very accurate. In my honest opinion, the most accurate for the dollar rimfire rifle available today is the CZ 455 American. I bought one last year to play around with and with good target ammo it will shoot consistent .45" five shot groups at 50 yards off the bench. I've shot a few perfect scores indoors standing and I've had quite a few 39x40 standing at our outdoor silhouette league last year. I had two 40x40's with one lost ram each time for failure to fall off the rail. They come with a pretty decent trigger right out of the box (I haven't touched my trigger at all) and if you want a better trigger (like 1.5-2.0lbs) you can get it for about $18 with a YoDave trigger kit that you can install yourself. The varmint barrel doesn't shoot any better, not even off bags. What it offers is a heavier gun (only slightly) for those who like shooting a heavier gun off hand. For under four hundred bucks you can't do better. My second recommendation would be the new Browning T Bolt. It will shoot one ragged hole off bags, but the trigger needs some work to make it equal to the CZ in accuracy and it costs two hundred dollars more off the shelf.

Boolit Bub
    You will not be disappointed in the CZ rimfires. Mine are all hunting rifles, but they have been used off a bench their fair share of times. The most accurate ones I own are the .17HM2s, but my .22LR will shoot just about anything extremely accurately (including bulk box). I should note - mine are all 452 American models (one each of .22LR, .22WMR, .17HMR, .17HM2, along with a maple .17HM2). I have handled and shot the 455s, I just don’t own one. From my experience, they have shot the same as the 452s that I own.

Dislikes would include some trigger creep, but it is easily fixed with a YoDave spring kit.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Hard to go wrong with a CZ , mine is a 452 and it shoots as well as the rumor mill says . If you happen to find a Kimber model 82 sporter there is another nice one for groups .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Had a 452 Military Trainer for about 20 years. With a sear upgrade to take some creep out of the trigger, it's a real screamer - consistently half inch at 50 yards when fed stuff it likes. Took me three scopes to sort out what it wanted - the 2-7 Weaver wasn't enough glass once I found out how well it could shoot; the 4-16 Weaver needed too tall rings to clear the rear iron sight, wasn't clear enough on the top end, and was simply too big; the Leupold 3-9 EFR seems to be the Goldilocks answer at present.

While every barrel has its personality, I don't much consider barrel weight alone a major factor to accuracy anymore - certainly not in .22LR. The extra poundage can help you hold steadier for offhand shooting, but for getting on target quickly, the sporter configuration is nice. I get bored with the bench once I know what a gun can do, and have moved most of my .22 work to snap-shooting half liter bottles and empty shotgun shells. Depends on what game you want to play.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I have the CZ 455 American I like it but now I'm wanting a Bench rifle I wish that i picked up the Varmint, with the heavier barrel
    in the first place so if your just looking to shoot paper or steel get the heaver barrel the folks over on http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php may help you with your choice also your can change barrels and calibers on the
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

The 445 varmint that I got for a friend shots into under an inch at 100 yards from a solid bench and is his favourite dog gun. Last outing he went through 2 bricks of 22's.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all of the replies. Just got back from Cabela's with a new 455 American Varmint. Hope that it shoots as good as it looks. Walnut stock is pretty straight grained, except for some figure in the buttstock. Just have to put on a scope and go have a good time! Will let you know how it shoots in the near future.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Good for you ! I was just thinking , the Winchester model 320 is another good one . But it looks like you got things fixed now

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Bub
    I have a 455 Tacticool, I've shot it side by side with my Cooper TRP rifle and it's always hot on the heels of the Cooper. I got it used and the trigger had been ruined by the previous owner. I sent it to CZ and they repaired it, then I shelled out about 15.00 and got the Yo Dave Kit and yeah, it's one sweet 22 . . . I'm gonna shoot both rifles again soon as the wind is cooperating. Get the Varmint.

Moderator Emeritus

En route to a fishing trip a few years ago, I chanced upon a bareley-used-almost new CZ 455 Varmint at a Gander Mountain store, and it followed me out. I put a Weaver Rim-fire Classic 3-9x x 32 scope on it, and it is bar none, to me, the BEST .22 I've ever had the privilege to own and shoot. I was so impressed I purchased a second -- identical model -- as well as putting on same 'scope -- as a gift for one of my sons. I checked out the American when looking for 2nd rifle to gift -- and it took me micro-seconds of time to decide the Varmint was the way to go. You can purchase a single-shot magazine replacement for it, too, which converts it into a super-target rifle, or use the standard mags for field shooting. (Just my two pennies on them )
    BEST!
    georgerkahn
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 02-13-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Boolit Master

Congrats your going to love it a picture would be nice
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies