Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 356 brass enters 336 tube roughly

Boolit Master

356 brass enters 336 tube roughly

Question to you all who rebored to 356 in your 336. I tried a dummy round and it hits every where till cartridge base is in tube. Then it works the way it should and ejects nicely. If you had issue what did you do?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned
    Could you clarify the problem. Looks like typos here.

"it hits every where till cartridge base is in tube"

Boolit Master
    I have a RD 190 boolit seated in cartridge as it should be. As I insert the cartridge in the side gate the boolet enters but starts to hit something (I assume) the side of tube. The shoulder starts dragging hard on right side of gate. Now you must really start to push and as it reluctantly goes in to rim I must use a wood dowel to push the rim into tube. As soon as it is in the gate closes properly and gun works as expected. I can get these problems to go away but I first wanted to hear from others experience.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sounds to me like the parts it is hitting may just be machined a little on the tight side. If I'm not mistaken, the .356 is a fatter cartridge than .30 WCF.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I had a Marlin 30AS rebored to 356 W by JES and it feeds just like it did as a 30 30. Since the same shell holder is used when reloading both cartridges, the case rim must be the same size. You might have some debris in your mag tube or a kinked spring.

Boolit Master
    The 356 is based on a rimmed 358 Win or can be considered a necked-down and shortened 444 Marlin. The 444 Marlin has the magazine tube expanded where it enters the receiver allowing the cartridge to enter the magazine. Some slight relief may be needed where the magazine tube enters the receiver where the bullet hits against the magazine tube to allow easy loading. A slight relief on the loading spring/ loading gate and receiver gate entry can also help. I normally break the edges on the loading spring and receiver just to keep from scratching brass and for general smoothness.

Try a different brand of brass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Try a different brand of brass.

I didn't know there was such a thing?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    does the same thing, not as bad in a 94 winny. I took a loaded round and that is not any better. Something screwwwy going on here!O well, thats why we have dremels!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I didn't know there was such a thing?
    You got me. I'm guilty of incomplete thinking. Again. I've heard of folks using .358 Win brass sucessfully in .356 Win guns however...

Boolit Master
    Both leverguns grapped and ejected the 358 loaded round. I don't have any 356's loaded at the moment. Rim or no rim they are a bugger to get in. I do not want to speak for JES but I bet he smooths the gate entrance a bit. That is totally fine, I just never heard any one doing that.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Is it possible that the OAL of the cartridge with the 190 RD is just a smidge to long ?

Jedman

I have a 336 I converted to 356 win. I had to slightly open the cartridge guides on the lifter and open up the front of the feed port on the frame to get a 356 round to load into the mag tube. Very little metal was removed to solve this problem so go slow.
    Cycling a round into the chamber and ejection did NOT require modification of the carrier . I used a 30-30 bolt and extractor and did not make modifications. My rifle cycles 356 brass fine but will not extract 358 brass.

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I have a 336 I converted to 356 win. I had to slightly open the cartridge guides on the lifter and open up the front of the feed port on the frame to get a 356 round to load into the mag tube. Very little metal was removed to solve this problem so go slow.
    Cycling a round into the chamber and ejection did NOT require modification of the carrier . I used a 30-30 bolt and extractor and did not make modifications. My rifle cycles 356 brass fine but will not extract 358 brass.

BB
    ok, that makes total sense. I never heard the rest of the story and now I have. Its a toss up who gets the bigger bore!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Do the .307, .356, and .375 WCF all share a parent case?

So- you're trying a .356 round thru the magazine of a Win 94 and Marlin 336 30-30 to decide which one to have rebored?

Boolit Master
    NO, the 307 and 356 are based on the 308 Win and 358 Win with a rim, the 444 Marlin can be used to form cases by necking down and shortening. The 375 Win is based on the 30-30 Win or 38-55 Win at much higher pressure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    So- you're trying a .356 round thru the magazine of a Win 94 and Marlin 336 30-30 to decide which one to have rebored?

Yup, one of them is gonna get it. I"l tell you all what I did after its done!
    Look twice, shoot once.

I would go with the 336 for your conversion to 356 win. The winchester big bores had beefed up frames compared to the 94 30-30s. Ask JES if they will take care of your cartridge loading problem when they rebore your barrel.

BB

Definitely go with the Marlin. I have one rebored to 356w and shortened by JES and another rechambered to 307W by R Nonneman. They both shoot great and function flawlessly. And they are scope friendly.