RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a new Uberti 1873 Win x 45 Colt. Need pressure / Load ideas

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    I know that some of the stiffest listed 444 loads will cause a modern Marlin lever action to open its lever. Keeping the chamber perfectly clean, dry and free of oil, and no verdigris on the cartridge brass, will reduce this tendency... a little bit.

The discussion is also complicated by the fact that the 1873 was never originally made in 45 Colt, so original load pressures aren't really a factor.

Another complication is that a longer sustained pressure can yield different results than a shorter sustained pressure, even if they have the same peak. QuickLoad is useful for visualizing this, but obviously the slower powders sustain longer. And it's slower powders you probably want for that long barrel.

Sorry I don't have an answer to this question. If I were in this position, I would pick a boolit that feeds/ejects well with dummies, then do 0.3gr step load ladders of 4 powders with different powder speeds, shoot with my hand off the lever, and use self-opening as a guide to the stiffest load for each powder, backing off at least a couple of steps from the ones that knock the lever open.

ooooops .might be that works with a marlin -- dont think its a clever plan with a toggle gun --not a good model for hotrodders .

8 grains of unique with the 250 grain bullet sounds just perfect to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Enjoy your rifle! I’ve got two Ubertis one is an 1860 the other is an 1873, both are in 44-40. Very accurate rifles. I mainly shoot 200gr loads with cases full of black powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

The action was slick and smooth, and the trigger was very nice. Nice enough so that there was no thoughts of any work being required in that department. One thing I also realized (never crossed my mind before) as I tried to single load a round is ............ you can't. Ah well, no big deal just something I hadn't considered. When doing load workup with my other leverguns, I like to do target work/testing via feeding each round directly into the chamber for each shot. I'll try to get some photo's soon.

..................Buckshot
    You can single load the 73/66 by opening the action then close
    The lever about an inch then push the lifter down with your finger
    insert round in chamber and close the action.I

Use load data listed for Colt SA and you'll be good to go.
    Last edited by Calamity Jake; 02-09-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    You can single load the 73/66 by opening the action then close
    The lever about an inch then push the lifter down with your finger
    insert round in chamber and close the action.I

Use load data listed for Colt SA and you'll be good to go.
    ...........Ah, there ya go! Thank you.

2ndAmendmentNut, man those case colors on your 73 are brilliant. Almost no red on mine. Nice but not so striking.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Another way to single load a 73 is: with the action closed lower the lever just enough to move the bolt to the rear
    not quite bringing the hammer to full cock, lifter is down at this point, insert a round in the chamber, close the action
    the hammer will follow the bolt down, now cock the hammer.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

I agree with others that if you have any colt SAA or copies, keep the ammo on hand safe for any of the guns. Older Lyman data was tested in a colt and exceeded current specs. Such as 20 grains IMR4227 behind a 250 grain bullet. 2 reasons, the older I get, I often forget and if I ever die, I know someone will just shoot the ammo in any gun chambered. The only time I load ruger loads for my 45 anaconda, is when I shoot them up the same day.

1100-1200 out of a rifle with a 250 grain bullet still smacks steel at 200 yards with a nice “clang”.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ................I got the Uberti M73 x 45 Colt as that is what my local gun store had. Plus I did not want a 357 rifle. I didn't want to shot BP through it simply because of the clean up issues. I just want to be sure that the loads I'm using weren't going to stress the 1873 Action. I'm not going to use it for hunting, but purely for the shear fun of shooting with it. It is what it is, and I bought ti because it was a very nice rifle, and figured it would be fun to have. It's preety enough to just hang on the wall and look at it So if I want striving loads in 45 Colt I have the 2 M92's, but the M73 is different, and I simply don't want to stress it. but I also don't want any slugs to stop half way up the 24" bbl

............Buckshot
    Buckshot
    iIf you are into the fun part ? ... yr missing a major part of the fun ....shoot some real gunpowder in it - the cleanup issues are largely in peoples (smokeyless shooters) imagination ..cleanup after real blackpowder is not that big of a deal .....really..
    Anneal some 45 colt cases - fillem up with black - go have some fun -- they go BOOM instead of pfffft - the smell is awesome - early morning or late evening nobody will be able to see anything for the smoke - clear yr sinuses out ...............smokeyless just dont come close in the fun department.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12