Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new Uberti 1873 Win x 45 Colt. Need pressure / Load ideas

Super Moderator

Getting a new Uberti 1873 Win x 45 Colt. Need pressure / Load ideas

............I have a Rossi 92 and a Win Miroku 92, both in 45 Colt so I'm simply interested in what kind of 'Reasonable for the platform' loads I should be looking for with the M73. It's the 'Sporting Rifle' with a 24.25" bbl and I'm also not interested in having a jacketed slug stuck 3/4 of the way up the barrel Surely 95% of the shooting will be with cast. Am I looking for pressures around 14K psi, or is 20K okay?

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

I don't know that anybody knows. These discussions always center around the toggle link design weakness vs the design with new steels.

Boolit Master

I know that some of the stiffest listed 444 loads will cause a modern Marlin lever action to open its lever. Keeping the chamber perfectly clean, dry and free of oil, and no verdigris on the cartridge brass, will reduce this tendency... a little bit.

The discussion is also complicated by the fact that the 1873 was never originally made in 45 Colt, so original load pressures aren't really a factor.

Another complication is that a longer sustained pressure can yield different results than a shorter sustained pressure, even if they have the same peak. QuickLoad is useful for visualizing this, but obviously the slower powders sustain longer. And it's slower powders you probably want for that long barrel.

Sorry I don't have an answer to this question. If I were in this position, I would pick a boolit that feeds/ejects well with dummies, then do 0.3gr step load ladders of 4 powders with different powder speeds, shoot with my hand off the lever, and use self-opening as a guide to the stiffest load for each powder, backing off at least a couple of steps from the ones that knock the lever open.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Load it up with some black powder and a soft bullet 20:1 SPG lube and have a ball.I've dedicated my Win/Miroku 1873 to black powder and the results have been very good.

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot

My standard load for my own Uberti M1873 is any 195 - 205 gr cast over 7.2 gr Bullseye. My Uberti M1873 Carbine prefers the RF bullet shape for 100% fee reliability. I have pressure tested that load several times (Oehler M43 and Contender test barrel) and it runs right at 14,000 psi. It runs 1150 - 1200 fps out of my carbine with 20" barrel and 950 - 980 fps out of my SA revolvers. It is wonderfully accurate in the carbine and revolvers.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

The new 73's are available in .357 magnum so I'd allow for the bigger case head of the .45 LC when working up a load. A 255 gr fp at 1200 fps seems reasonable from that 24" barrel. In the Rossi, you can use "Ruger only" loads easily- but I wouldn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ............I have a Rossi 92 and a Win Miroku 92, both in 45 Colt so I'm simply interested in what kind of 'Reasonable for the platform' loads I should be looking for with the M73. It's the 'Sporting Rifle' with a 24.25" bbl and I'm also not interested in having a jacketed slug stuck 3/4 of the way up the barrel Surely 95% of the shooting will be with cast. Am I looking for pressures around 14K psi, or is 20K okay?

..............Buckshot
    why go over 14k?

Boolit Master

Getting a new Uberti 1873 Win x 45 Colt. Need pressure / Load ideas

Most experts will advise keeping 45colt loads in the 14,000cup range for any toggle link rifle.

I don’t have my load manual in front of me but I believe it lists the 1873 toggle link design as a Group 1, while it lists the Winchester 92 and Marlin 94 as a Group 2. Group 2 rifles are safe for higher level loads sometimes called “Ruger Only.” Best to stick with black powder level loads for Group 1 rifles.

The classic 250gr boolit with 8-9.0gr of Unique is right at the upper end of most 14,000 c.u.p. level load recipes. From my handguns this load chronographs around 850fps. I’d imagine from a 24” barrel this load would easily break 1000fps. That would be more than sufficient for any medium sized game provided the shooter does their part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 02-06-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    why go over 14k?
    Because, 24" barrel for a very low expansion ratio cartridge.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

If you could 100% guarantee those cartridges were only ever fired in that gun or an acceptable weapon sure.. I never custom load over spec. On ammo that can fit old vs something rugged like a tiger, unless I can guarantee where it goes

Boolit Buddy
    My experience with a Uberti 73 was not very satisfying. Using 3 or 4 different cast bullets in the 250gr area and powder from pyrodex to 2400 and was never able to get groups better than 4 to 6 inches at 50yds. My cheap Chiappa 92 in .45 gave me 2" groups right off the bat. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Boolit Master

Was it a stabilization issue?

Boolit Buddy

Buckshot, I’m curious that since you have a Miroku 92, why wouldn’t you get a Miroku 1873? The prices are comparable to Uberti, and the Winchester/Miroku 73 does NOT have a tang safety.

I have the same questions and concerns about loading for my Miroku 1873. In looking over the data from various sources I found that Hodgdon Lil Gun makes top velocities in 357 at significantly lower pressure than other powders like H110.

So I called the experts at Hodgdon who said the pressures quoted for Lil Gun are correct, and assured me that any of their loads published online will be fine in the 73. He went on to say that these 1873 replicas have been proofed with much heavier loads and wouldn’t be approved for sale if they would be damaged by 357 Magnum loads.

I still think a lower pressure load is sensible. I am really more concerned about bolt thrust than chamber pressure anyway. Since I have a quantity of 125 and 158 bullets on hand, both jacketed and cast with gas checks, I intend to try some Lil Gun and see how it does with starting loads. I won’t ever be pushing the 73 for maximum velocity.
    Last edited by Warhawk; 02-07-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a uberti 1873 cattleman 2 revolver in 357. I shoot 'cowboy' lead thru it, but also contacted uberti. They told me the gun was marked 357, and would digest any saami spec 357...i still baby it though.. I like to shoot 38 CA at steel spinners.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think so, never got any keyholes. I used pyrodex with a card and soft lube, titegroup under 1000fps, 2400 pushing maybe 18,000cup. Accuracy was pretty much all the same.

Super Moderator

................I got the Uberti M73 x 45 Colt as that is what my local gun store had. Plus I did not want a 357 rifle. I didn't want to shot BP through it simply because of the clean up issues. I just want to be sure that the loads I'm using weren't going to stress the 1873 Action. I'm not going to use it for hunting, but purely for the shear fun of shooting with it. It is what it is, and I bought ti because it was a very nice rifle, and figured it would be fun to have. It's preety enough to just hang on the wall and look at it So if I want striving loads in 45 Colt I have the 2 M92's, but the M73 is different, and I simply don't want to stress it. but I also don't want any slugs to stop half way up the 24" bbl

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    I had one around 8 years ago in .45 colt just like Yours. I wanted to duplicate the original 44-40 load of about 1,300 fps. I ordered some Desparado soft cast bullets and ended up loading them over 13gr of HS-6 for an average of 1360 fps. my notes show a very small extreme spread in velocity and it says "very accurate". I got the data from the Hodgdon's reloading manual listed 13,900cup.
    The gun was perfect in every way but heavy for Me. I sold it before I dropped it in the mud or beat it up. I am on the lookout for another one in 38-40 or 44-40. Have fun. Always work up to any load.

Super Moderator

...............I certainly appreciate everyone's response to my very possibly 'Nebulous' question I picked up the rifle today so 9.3x62Al and I repaired out to the boonies where I used to live, to do some informal shooting. He had a new (4 month old) scoped CZ rifle in 22 Win Mag that also hadn't been fired yet. First of all the rifle is a beauty as I'd mentioned (I'd visited it a couple times during the California 10 day wait).

I'd loaded 50 rounds of 45 Colt using a 250gr RFPB over 8.0 grs of Unique in new Starline brass and Rem #2-1/2 LPP's. I was absolutely amazed, to be honest. There was the foot of a ridge about 100 yards, give or take in front of my pickup. I pulled the rear sight slider back 2 steps, leaned against the fender with my elbow on the hood and aimed at a bare patch toward the bottom of the ridge and squeezed off a shot. The dirt flew from that spot! I could have hit anywhere within a foot of where the front sight had been, but the dirt DID fly from that patch! Mostly I was glad it doesn't appear that there will be any 'Sight Drifting' issues to be resolved.

The action was slick and smooth, and the trigger was very nice. Nice enough so that there was no thoughts of any work being required in that department. One thing I also realized (never crossed my mind before) as I tried to single load a round is ............ you can't. Ah well, no big deal just something I hadn't considered. When doing load workup with my other leverguns, I like to do target work/testing via feeding each round directly into the chamber for each shot. I'll try to get some photo's soon.

..................Buckshot

I've always wanted one of those old rifles....maybe one day. Sounds like you have a good one.
    Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it!

My brother's 24" 1873 load is the Lee RF and 777. Having enough lube seems to be his biggest buggaboo.

I shoot a single shot and use most everything now and then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bore Rider 45-380C.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	213686

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast