Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Rossi 92 subsonic accuracy

Banned

Rossi 92 subsonic accuracy

Hi the forum. Just dropped in with a fairly specific question, thanks if anyone can help. Intending to get a Rossi 92 in 357 to run subsonic loads , light loads of trailboss etc, with heavier cast bullets.

Wondered if anyone knew how the Rossi's relatively slow twist 1:30 might handle 158 bullets under 1100fps?

Its pretty important for me to find a bullet this weight that can manage 4-5" at 100 yards and stay subsonic . Am I in the ballpark or is the twist going to be too slow at this speed?

Works good for me - 160 FN over Red Dot - I've used up to 180 grain, but you have to watch boolit shape and COAL for good feeding.
    Capable of bouncing Golf balls at 50 to 100 yards
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    3.7 clays with Lee 158gr. FP 1”-2” @ 100yards hi-tek coated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    Those Rossi’s in 357 are ver accurate IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Factory .38 Special LRNs aren't more than 1000 fps out of the Rossi carbine and shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yards with the open iron sights. Good enough.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Not the weight you asked for, but interesting enough at least. 180 gr. wfn hp. Red Dot or Unique for ~800 fps. 10 shots at 100 yards usually 6 inches, but usually 7-8 of those would go into 3 inches or even less.

Boolit Master
    OP, although I have done /much/ subsonic load development for my 77/357, I have had rather more failures than success. I will say that I have done best with Trail Boss & Red Dot, and also using .38Spl cases rather than .357Mag. I know that seems counterintuitive, but the slightly smaller case capacity has given me more charge flexibility - obtaining high enough pressures to ensure consistent powder burn while keeping velocities lower (i.e. more subsonic loadings). Good luck & please keep us updated.

Edit: Since Unique was mentioned earlier (w/ 180gr); I have obtained /excellent/ accuracy w/ 158gr's, but only at 1200fps minimum. Dropping Unique charges below that, accuracy deteriorated rapidly. But I was getting 3/4" groups at 50 yds @ 1200 fps - was so disappointed I couldn't extend that to the subsonics. If I pursued that angle of inquiry further, I would also use the 180gr's at an absolute minimum.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 02-02-2018 at 02:01 PM.

I shoot a lot of 158 to 170 grain RNFP out of mine in 38 special cases with 3.8 to 4.0 grains of HP38. I will let you tell me if that is subsonic out a 24" barrel (I suspect it is, but do not have a chronograph), but the accuracy is limited by my eyesight (no way to scope the octagon barrel). I suspect you could do a similar load with a touch more powder in a 357 case.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Moderator Emeritus

For what ever reason mine will not chamber anything wider than a 358156. The good news that it shoots great fast or slow.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I've developed loads under 600fps with a 173gr boolit (Keith I believe)..... 1-1.5gr of 231 I believe (I'd have to check my records). Hits to point of aim at 25yds, but the entire boolit profile is apparent on the paper. I developed this for raccoons one year. I was originally concerned about the keyholing until I tried the load out on a raccoon.... raccoon didn't know the difference, and it was nose to tail penetration DRT. I burned up the reaminder of the ammo when the critter problem subsided.... Can't comment on the accuracy, other than I could hit a 5 gallon bucket at 100yds +/- 95% of the time, once I figured out the drop.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do/hit?