RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light load for noise reduction, Your Suggestion

Light load for noise reduction, Your Suggestion

My wife had an eardrum replaced and has very sensitive ear canals. She wears electronic ear muffs. Her 22 pistol noise does not bother her. She shoots a 1 7/8"barrel 38 Special, S&W Lady Smith, which does bother her ears. She's tried factory FMJ 124 grain, She's tried 160 grain cast over 3.6 grains of 231, all too loud. I have two molds I'd like to try for her. Using CCI primers my first choice is a 105 (drops 108) grain swc Lyman recommends 5.1 grains as a starting load. My second is a 125 grain mold that drops at 128 grain. For the 108 grain bullet I'm thinking of loading up a test series of 2.6 grains W231, followed by 2.8 grains followed by 3.0 grains to check the noise and accuracy. Our range is a 15 yard to 35 yard range. I have heard several cases where people have shot reduced loads of 3.0 successfully but not 2.6 or 2.8 What is your opinion?
    Last edited by bbogue1; 02-06-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Get her a longer barrel or shoot 148-grain HBWC soft-swaged target wadcutters.

Winchester data:

148 GR. HDY LHBWC

Winchester 231 .358" 1.160" 3.5 grs 14,200 CUP
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Starting my noise shy wife out, I ran as low as 2.8 of unique. Some powders have a lower, mellower tone to the report, so try other powders. At that low of a charge, I had some squib loads with standard Winchester primers, but Winchester magnum or cci primers worked just fine.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

2.1 grains W231 with 125 - 158 grain swc fired from S&W 64, 2" barrel. Low noise, recoils like a 22 LR. Make sure of soft dirt or similar back drop as these slow moving slugs will bounce right back at you otherwise.

Outpost75 I see the value of a longer barrel but for us that is not an option. I am very interested in the thought of a heavier bullet and a low charge. The heavier bullet came a s a surprise since it is the opposite of my thinking. I am far from being knowledgeable in this area, therefore, I was thinking a lighter charge and a lighter projectile. Can you elaborate on the use of a heavier bullet?

dougader Thanks, I thought it could be done You, too, suggest a heavier bullet than the 105 I thought would work. Tell me more. I appreciate the warning, I had not considered that possibility. Don't worry, our target is placed at an angle to reflect ricochets to our right and down. Or we have a few steel targets that blow up normally charged lead bullets and they are never perpendicular to our line of fire.

More thoughts, anyone?
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Sorry, forgot to mention I used 125 and 158 grain bullets. The heavier did have slightly more felt recoil and a higher poi due mostly to the longer dwell time in the barrel. That same dwell time gives powder more time to burn and reduces muzzle blast.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I made up some reduced loads of 38 spec. using Red Dot under 158gr SWC for the missus in her LCR.357 for her hand & carpal tunnel issues in both her wrists. Ladder tested from 2.2 up to 2.9 sandbagged/benched @ 15 yds. Best performance in her pistol was 2.5gr then 2.9, then 2.2.. Did the same ladder test with 148gr WCs & the best once again was 2.5gr. Made it easy for me to remember, even though I put the others in the log book.

Anyway, we wear hearing protection, either regular "muffs" or those little "squishy" plugs that are either on a head loop or just come in a lil bag that ya "squish" & put in your ears. [Used to use cigarette butts back when I was in the Corps. LOL ] Never thought to compare the noise between higher/"full" load range to the reduced charges as it was more of a recoil thing for her wrists & hands, so can't say for sure, but I would reckon it is a difference in those little snubbies.

G'Luck! with whatever ya decide to do.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Agrees with JBinMN.

Red Dot under 3 grains.

The problem is not recoil so the heavier bullet should not be an issue.
    With the heavier bullet it should remain in the barrel a tad longer. Get higher pressure but better more complete burning with less noise.

Load 10 at 2.5 and see how it goes.

For my wife with sensitive ears and arthritis hands I am loading 2 grains of Red Dot under a 90 grain cast bullet in .32sw long. They hardly pop.

Longer barrel would help but I understand if she does not want to trade guns.

Let us know how it goes.

JBinMn for your wife hand problems might like to have her looking into getting something like this
    https://www.scheels.com/p/harbinger-...51-149-E5.html
    I found they work great for the help with what she have because I have carpal tunnel issues also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    For ear protection, the little foam plugs UNDER the ear muffs make a real difference in sound impact to the ears. Even a 3 inch barrel helps with noise.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    JBinMn for your wife hand problems might like to have her looking into getting something like this
    https://www.scheels.com/p/harbinger-...51-149-E5.html
    I found they work great for the help with what she have because I have carpal tunnel issues also.
    Thanks! I will show the link to her this evening & see what she thinks herself.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

British wartime load in the 38 S&W (not Special) was a 200gr bullet at about 700fps. Don't underestimate a big boolit going slow.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Thanks! I will show the link to her this evening & see what she thinks herself.
    You welcome .I see it works for me.Mainly at this time of the year for full loads in my hand gun and also helps when i prune my fruit trees,it gives me a better grip and holding too.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    For ear protection, the little foam plugs UNDER the ear muffs make a real difference in sound impact to the ears...........
    +1....definitely use the foam earplugs with the muffs.

Many years back I loaded the Lee 105 gr SWC cast soft and TL'd over 2.5 gr Bullseye for my wife and young daughters to use in a S&W Chief's Special with 1 7/8" barrel. Minimal recoil and minimal noise but still loud enough that ear protection was needed.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    My wife has crazy good hearing and found the noise to be a problem too. She got a set of the custom ear protectors that are made to fit HER ear canal. They cast them on the spot at a lot of gun shows. They are a little more fiddly than using muffs but they just flat stop the noise issue for her. Something to think about. I also find the recoil from her Lady Smith is noticeably less as the bullet weight goes up. So much so it makes me want to try some 200gr 38 S&W loads in her special cases. The lighter bullets just seem to have a sharper recoil and higher pitched report. More of a crack than bang with the light bullets. I think the slow heavy bullet might have more of a push than snap to the recoil.

Boolit Master

+1 on the soft lead wadcutters, and possibly something like a 75% freespac under projectile case fill of trailboss.

Boolit Master

You can also use 158 or even better a 180 gr SWC seated backwards (nose first) and seated almost flush with the top of the case and add a light taper crimp for the 38 special . using 1.5 to 2.0 grs of BE or tight group powder, make sure the bullet makes it out of the barrel and adj powder charge up or down for the specific handgun preferences , could be shot without earplugs as the noise level is low.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 02-06-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    My mousephart load is 2.5 gr of Clays under a 125-130 gr bullet. It is also surprisingly accurate....yielding 1” groups at 30 yards. I use it handguns as well but not with a barrel as short as yours. Beware it is easy to double charge a load with that little volume. I load on a 1050 with Powder Check.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Custom fit earplugs are worth every penny. I use to use foam under muffs, doubling up is nowhere near as quiet as custom fit plugs. I got mine from a local guy in NM, who makes the rounds at the SASS, gunshows and other events.
    this is just a link, i don't know if it's the product I use or not.
    http://www.instamold.com/consumer-pr...ded-ear-plugs/
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

The addition of foam under the muffs is good also try standard muffs with a higher rating for her, most electronics muffs arnt rated as high in reduction as the none standards are. The draw back to the plugs and standard muffs are talking on the range is almost imposible.

The old bullsey load of 2.6-2.7 grns bullseye and a 148 grn hollow based wadcutter is very soft shooting and very low report also is very accurate in most handguns. Faster burning powders and mid to light bullets tend to do better for what your wanting the lower gas volumne and faster burn helps .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast