Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Storage of reloading gear

Storage of reloading gear

I hope this is in the right spot. I did a search on here and could not find anything.
    I have to move my reloading gear out to an unheated, uninsulated building and want to know what you guy do to keep your gear from rusting. I have saved an old stand up deep freezer that I was going to take the motor off and put a 40 watt light bulb inside to help with moisture. Any help and/or ideas would be a big help.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

freezer is a great idea I have same and have used it for YEARS, only mine is a chest style. Even without the light bulb, there is very little, in fact no rust. It is warm moisture laden air hitting the cold steel and condensing out that will get you. You can use a 5 or 10 watt bulb and lots of desiccant as insurance. Make sure door seals are in good order and seal properly.

my Safe has a Golden Rod - I would do the same for a freezer or other box
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I have my loading gear set up in a 12x16 outdoor shed, non heated, no insulation and no problems for over 20 years. Only time I heat it is in the winter when I'm in it loading ammo. No rust issues at all.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Buddy
    For $159.00 I bought an automatic dehumidifier for my unheated reloading room. Rooms about 20x20. The humidifier is drained thru the wall. Not a bit of rust. Keeps humidity down to 40-50%.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    I keep my equipment in large ammo cans with desiccant bags, and every 6 months or so I reactivate the desiccant in the oven.

Boolit Master
    If you have a wzy to keep RH at 50% or lower you will not have any rust issues assuming a little oil now and then.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

When in So. CA I lived about 3 miles from the ocean. I now live in rainy Oregon about 1,000 yards from the beach. Normal care for my tools (dies are the first to show rust) is a wipe down with a lightly gun oil (or just about any light oil) dampened rag when they are put away. My equipment/tools are stored in an unheated 12x18 stick built shed, my measuring tools in a Craftsman tool box, my dies in plastic sandwich boxes, my Co-Ax covered with a pillow case. It is necessary to protect your tools and keep on top of any corrosion/rust issues, ie; preventative maintenance. I've used hand tools all my life, and the last 30 years of my career was making a living with them, and normal tool care is sufficient, even in rainy Oregon...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    A little heat inside a closed insulated box like you have with a upright freezer will be perfect location to keep dry and safe. If you are going to store for a long period of time I spray a good coating of LPS-3 contains Bees wax looks very nasty but protects completely from rust even if exposed to free air moisture and oxygen. You just have to clean off before use. Of coarse Aluminum is more care free but will oxidize.

Boolit Master

What do I do to keep my equipment from rusting? Everything is setup in a climate-controlled basement, and I oil the presses once a year or more.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.