Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman GPH and PP bullets

Boolit Master

Lyman GPH and PP bullets

Well, I finally got back to shooting this thing again. Note: all powder charges are by volume. I do weigh them using the mfg conversion factor.

Last time out it was kinda horrible. Shots were all over the place. I finally paid attention and I was not seeing the confetti I usually get. But, now BACO was out of stock of the 450gn PP bullets I was using.

So, I finally bought some of the .50 cal 500gn PP bullets from BACO. Two dry wraps of onion skin and sized to .501. I did change my wrapping so there is no tail. The end of the paper is just kinda folded over the base with an open spot in the middle. These shot well, but, not great (2" and 3" groups at 100yd). 80gn Pyrodex P.

I was going to go back to Pyrodex RS but I saw some BlackMZ so decided to try it. Went with 80gn. Since I also changed to target knobs on the Lyman receiver sight I had to some sighting shots. The end result was the center shot group. I think this will work

(yes I know I changed too many things at once, will do better next session)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180127_144730.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	365.4 KB 
ID:	212889

Boolit Master
    PS I am also at a place I can start casting my own. So need to invest in a good mold. At least I feel like I am on the right track.

Boolit Master
    I know your pain... it is always an adventure... but fun
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Buddy
    I just tried Black MZ powder for the first time. I got my best results when I really compressed the powder prior to loading a bullet. I used a flat faced jag and really leaned on the rod three hard presses, then loaded the projectile. I was not shooting PP this particular outing but a home cast boolit in a sabot. My groups really shrunk after I started compressing the powder first. I'm not sold on it yet. More trials.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I had read about the compression. I pour the powder and then insert the veggie wad, which is a really tight fit. I use my cleaning jag which is flat. I shove it down fast and then lean hard on the rod to compress the powder (I do this with pyrodex as well). Then I load the lubed wad and bullet, which go down with just the weight of the rod.

If it continues to perform I will switch. If not I'll go back to Pyrodex Select.

The other good news is 24rds and no hangfires at all.

Boolit Master
    Well, today was interesting. MZ black again, same loads but I wiped between bullets. One damp, one dry.

Two right next to each other, one out about 4", then another in the original spot, and another out about 5" in same direction (right). I do tend to pull a shot every now and then, but, that is usually an inch or two, not 4" or 5", and usually those shots are low left. Wind flag showed nothing.

Went back to Pyrodex RS and had a reasonable three round group (a bit less than 2").

Am going to give the MZ Black one more try. If it doesn't work this time will go back to Pyrodex RS.

Boolit Master
    Well, it is official. I will stick with Pyrodex RS Select.

MZ, even after a as much compression as I can apply, just does not put all the rounds together. Two or three in a 2 or 3in group and then one out about 3in away.

Boolit Buddy
    Was your blkMZ all clumped up? I checked my powder flask yesterday and found the the remaining powder was clumped solid. I had to rap the flask on the carpeted floor to loosen it up enough just to dump it out. The powder had only been in there for a little over a week. It was stored in a GI Ammo can inside my house. Not real impressed. Poured it back into its original bottle and moved back to my Goex FFFG.

Boolit Master
    No, it seems in good condition. Live in the SW so no humidity to speak of.

I,ll probably use itup in my PRB plinking loads.