Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 PBcastco

Thread: smaller caliber brass for wad or over shot

Boolit Buddy

smaller caliber brass for wad or over shot

I was reading through some of the threads and it got me to thinking that people use 9mm brass as a jacket for a swaged bullet, has anyone ever tried to use smaller brass as a wad or over shot? Maybe fill the case up mostly with shot then seat a case partially filled with lead over the top? Just wondering. Might be a horrid idea, thus throwing it out for more experienced minds to mull over.

Boolit Master

I can't see why it wouldn't work, but if you're trying to shoot sparrows, rats, or snakes in a barn, then you have a larger projectile that will/may penetrate or damage something that a small shot wouldn't. If you in the field, then no big deal. Try it and see.

After a bit of thought....

As far as a wad, I usually just use card stock or a heavier waxed cardboard like a cereal box. Takes up less space and provides an adequate seal or wad.

As an overshot, I think you may cause irregular patterns as the shot is pushing into the case and pushing the case forward. The case would spin as a projectile and may not spill the shot contained therein unless it yawed or tumbled.

Anyway, try it and let us know how it worked.

Boolit Grand Master

I would be worried that the case would act as a jacket and hold the shot in a slug until impact if used as a shot cup. and holding the shot as a slug if used over it. Shot cups are split some to allow for release of the shot. head out to a trap range and recover a few wads look at how the fingers on the wads have opened up to release the shot.

What I have considered is a "paper cartridge" type set up. 2 wraps of tracing paper cut in a parallelogram to the desired length of the shot charge. a .020 card wad at the base shot and then another .020 card wad. These could be glued together with paper glue into the cups filled and the last card wad glued in. Better still might be a 1/8" felt wad in the bottom t protect the shot better. This should shread going thru the rifling and release well at the muzzle or close to it. A dowel polished to the correct size of the ID needed ( in a 38 it would be around a .350 mandrel using .002 thick paper) It could be cut long so end could be folded over end of mandrel and wad inserted.

Boolit Master
    I would be concerned with the brass case creating a ricochet problem.

there are several posts on making your own shot capsules. I have one called stretching the 44 mag case.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your thoughts, it was more of a what if than something I'm geared up to do.

Boolit Master
    ifyou are wanting to make shot loads for a 38 or 357, the principle is the same.

Think gas check instead of brass.