Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off grid communities

Off grid communities

Please don’t start tinfoil hat, anti-government, hyper religious, or any other non sensical bee ess. I don’t buy into any of that childish garbage.

Finding people who want to separate themselves from ‘the common life’ is difficult. For good reason, I understand.

Most of what you find online is garbage.
    III Citadel is a Ponzi scheme. The American redoubt has no organization (that anyone is willing to talk about).

How would one go about finding serious people?
    I found one not far from me but they are very anti gun. Well, that won’t work.

Anyone have any suggestions......other than the usual ‘get over it’ and ‘go pound sand’ replies typical to the wonderful interwebz?

Boolit Master
    I am in an off grid community, for the most part. Our realtor was a big help with it. I knew the general area we wanted to move to, our realtor directed us towards the off grid areas either with almost no neighbors or with neighbors within a half mile or so. We all have 35+ acre lots so we can use our well water for irrigation (up to one whole acre for personal lawn/garden)
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Moderator Emeritus

Near me is a collection of 20 acre parcels that have no power to them. In general it is the home of ill washed and poor smelling folk who keep what they shoot at a locker in town until they need it for their icebox. Their children usually do poorly in school due to studying conditions and have more health problems per a friend in administration at said school.
    There is little game that frequents those timbered parcels though there is plenty near them. You may draw your own conclusions as I have mine.
    That is as close to off grid communities as I know of. If you are referring to the fake stuff shown on TV, made for TV and others squatting in the woods, I do not believe there is a community of such. Knowing many LEO's any one found in such a situation is not allowed to stay there, or fines are hefty along with jail time. I do not believe Montana is alone in this action.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Nice!
    I have a few more years until I will be free from obligations and financially able but it’s certainly my goal. At 41 years old, I’m sick of everything (except my wife). No kids, negligible debt, the wife wants out too.
    I’m not exceptionally good at anything but I can get by on just about everything.
    Last year I took my health very seriously, I’ve dropped 45 pounds in the last year and started (slowly) liquidating useless stuff.

I don’t need much space and don’t mind working for/with others to get by.

Funny, it’s hypocritical to sit here and post this but everything being connected and over complicated is driving me nutz.

The worlds gone crazy and I’d like nothing more than to put some space between it.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Near me is a collection of 20 acre parcels that have no power to them. In general it is the home of ill washed and poor smelling folk who keep what they shoot at a locker in town until they need it for their icebox. Their children usually do poorly in school due to studying conditions and have more health problems per a friend in administration at said school.
    There is little game that frequents those timbered parcels though there is plenty near them. You may draw your own conclusions as I have mine.
    That is as close to off grid communities as I know of. If you are referring to the fake stuff shown on TV, made for TV and others squatting in the woods, I do not believe there is a community of such. Knowing many LEO's any one found in such a situation is not allowed to stay there, or fines are hefty along with jail time. I do not believe Montana is alone in this action.

That’s what I’m figuring. It’s all a lie people tell but never do OR The ones who try are not the sort to associate with.

It’s hard to have this discussion with strangers because you immediately get labeled a fruitcake.

It’s sad that the REAL fruitcakes have some truth but they ruin it with psychotic idiocy.
    Example: Ted Kaczynski was very much right in his writings and thoughts on where we are heading as a society but he ruined his whole line of thinking by hurting people and proving he was nuts needed to be knocked in the head. You can’t openly say you agree with his ideas without labeling yourself as being scum just like him.

If I could hunt and shoot I’d be Ahmish. But they’re pacifist idiots. God gave me two hands and I have a right to use them to defend and feed myself.

I really wish I had been born 200 years ago. Lol!!!

Boolit Master

I would say look for remote parcels of land / rural parcels of land with homes spread out. That way you can reduce the numbers of people (societal negative influences seem to rapidly change/expand in high density population areas). Then build/buy a home and include elements that provide "Off Grid" capabilities. By definition rural will cut your reliance on community sewage systems. Water from a well or stream/lake and cisterns removes the dependency on community water systems. A Photovoltaic system for key power requirements (refrigeration, freezer, some lighting, water pump and gravity feed water for home, and fan for forced air on a wood stove). That pretty well puts one as "Independent" without getting into the 21st century equivalent of the 1700's personal Cabin Fortress against the hostiles.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

If you don’t mind the weather, Alaska probably has more of that than any other state. The few people I know that live the off grid lifestyle do it without community involvement. I think the first thing I’d research is what, if any, property taxes are involved. That can make certain states( like most of the northeast) a no go.

Wow, we have the same problem. Wanting to go off grid mostly to eliminate the bills that go withnit but not wanting to tie in with a bunch of crazies! Me and my wife and kids are looking at a few spots in western Montana with big parcels or state land surrounding them might not find a community per se, but at least we would have some space. Rural living used to be what we were looking for, and in that case most farming communities would work, just be on the outskirts. The real question i think is, do i want to get away, or do i just need some space? Its a tough call to find what you're looking for.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Off grid living isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes small town USA is an acceptable answer.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

Connecting with people who have sought to disconnect, would seem to be a difficult venture to say the least.

A few years ago, I seen a travel program that visited Christiania...I bet that was something in the 70s...but it isn't what it once was.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/emmyf/why-y...JW2#.ndmbGpyaB

I realize that isn't at all what you are looking for, as I suspect most of the disconnected "groups" would tend to be leftist fringe. When someone with conservative type values wishes to disconnect, it's generally not a group type of thing, due to the individualism that runs deep in typical conservative type thinking. Those folks tend to venture out on their own, maybe live like a mountain man, maybe a far off the beaten track parcel of land in AK? If that is your case, you just need to figure out what part of the USA you wish to do that in, and start looking for remote properties.

I know I'm not being much help, I'm just stating the obvious that you probably already know. I probably wouldn't have even joined the conversation, except that last night I watched the Movie "The end of the tour", which is a slice of recent history about the renowned Author David Foster Wallace and his plight in modern society is fresh in my mind...and what he did to attempt to avoid some of the trappings of modern society...until his suicide on 2008.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I don't think you want true off grid life, I have a cabin in the hills w/o power and it gets old real quick! I now have solar cells and a battery bank so I can flip a switch and have light and pump water from the tank easily not to mention the fan in the window on those hot days or behind the woodstove on the cold ones.
    I'm a bit of a prepper, that's one of the reasons I bought the place, but I DO NOT want to live there! I have a small deisal tractor with fuel stored all sorts of supplies and hope to never use them. It would be a tremendous hardship going from my daily life to the early 1900s or before.
    Perhaps your looking more along the lines of a small farm with some live stock and a garden, selling a lamb/goat/calf once in a while and some veggies, but keep in mind you will need cash for taxes and stuff you can't make or raise. For tons of info check out the survivalist boards, good stuff buried amongst the real fruitcakes
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by adcoch1 View Post
    Wow, we have the same problem. Wanting to go off grid mostly to eliminate the bills that go withnit but not wanting to tie in with a bunch of crazies! Me and my wife and kids are looking at a few spots in western Montana with big parcels or state land surrounding them might not find a community per se, but at least we would have some space. Rural living used to be what we were looking for, and in that case most farming communities would work, just be on the outskirts. The real question i think is, do i want to get away, or do i just need some space? Its a tough call to find what you're looking for.
    I labored under the delusion that Montana was my utopia. Ive never been up there. Ive come to realize just how wrong I was. I don’t wanna live in Montana. July and August Montana is probably heaven on earth. I’m too old to ever be man enough to handle December in Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Where is that place, or around what town. Sounds like somewhere to avoid!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    I don't think you want true off grid life, I have a cabin in the hills w/o power and it gets old real quick! I now have solar cells and a battery bank so I can flip a switch and have light and pump water from the tank easily not to mention the fan in the window on those hot days or behind the woodstove on the cold ones.
    I'm a bit of a prepper, that's one of the reasons I bought the place, but I DO NOT want to live there! I have a small deisal tractor with fuel stored all sorts of supplies and hope to never use them. It would be a tremendous hardship going from my daily life to the early 1900s or before.
    Perhaps your looking more along the lines of a small farm with some live stock and a garden, selling a lamb/goat/calf once in a while and some veggies, but keep in mind you will need cash for taxes and stuff you can't make or raise. For tons of info check out the survivalist boards, good stuff buried amongst the real fruitcakes

That’s a very valid point and I think my thread title was a mistake.

Boolit Master

BTW Amish do hunt and shoot, see em out every year around my place. They also make great neighbors!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nines&Twos View Post
    I labored under the delusion that Montana was my utopia. Ive never been up there. Ive come to realize just how wrong I was. I don’t wanna live in Montana. July and August Montana is probably heaven on earth. I’m too old to ever be man enough to handle December in Montana.
    I couldn't really be comfortable in eastern Montana, but sw Montana is a completely different place! Yeah it snows, but not a lot of sub zero weather in the valleys, and the fishing is amazing.

Moderator Emeritus

I bet you have seen "Alone in the wilderness" ?
    the true story of Dick Proenneke who left Iowa when he was in his 50's, moved to a remote place in AK and lived there til he was 85. Now that is a story of wilderness romance that I think of often.

Here is a 9 minute clip of the hour and a half program.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I could describe what I’d really like to find but as I’ve said, you immediately get the loony label.

Southern location. Northern Arizona or New Mexico. Oklahoma maybe. Not picky.
    A group that lives in the world but not of the world.
    It’s hard to find a group of people (real life, not this electronic world) that might help you find some peace with god without ramming some nauseating doctrine down your throat.
    My wife wants a Judeo-Christian gated community of down to earth people.
    If (big if) that exists, they don’t want to be found and I don’t blame them!

Dick Proennke was more man on his death bed than I will ever be. I’ve watched that on pbs since I was a kid. I’ve never ceased to be amazed by that man.

Boolit Buddy
    Much or most of the acreage in Alaska lies in what is called the unorganized borough. (Alaska has boroughs rather than counties.) There is no municipal government, no taxes (the state has no sales or income tax). Land parcels in Alaska are very small because the government - especially the federal government - owns all the land. However, small parcels can be purchased throughout the state for relatively small amounts of money (supply and demand - it isn't worth much). Gun laws in Alaska are very good, perhaps the best in the US. People live remotely throughout Alaska. No state may have as much variety in climates as Alaska has. Goods shipped to remote land in Alaska can be very expensive. Features and considerations for living in Alaska, remote or otherwise can be researched very well on the internet of course. Technology has made communication within remote Alaska much better and less expensive. The hunting and fishing is for the most part the same as it was 40 years ago. Health care is expensive in Alaska, but the federal government provides it for free, including transportation to urban hospitals, to anyone who is a member of a tribe recognized by the federal government (which sometimes means blood quantum must be at least 1/32 American Indian). The state provides extensive home schooling help and resources. Alaska is a red state politically, and was one of the top states in voting for President Trump. The federal government has a lot of employees here, and it would be OK with almost all Alaskans not employed by the federal government if these people were deployed elsewhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast