Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: S&W 625-8? Anyone have one?

Boolit Master

S&W 625-8? Anyone have one?

I'm finding info on the 625-8 to be very interesting. I just got one yesterday. I've read so many "greatest gun ever" and "biggest P.O.S .ever". Nothing in the middle. What to heck is the deal? Never seen so much difference in opinion for any fire arm ever.

If you have one of these revolvers, let me know your experience. Mine is a JM version, supposed to be rifled for cast....

Banned
    Part of the problem is people crimp the snot out of their 45acp's and as a consequence they lead the **** out of the barrel and then the gun gets blamed.
    You just cannot fix stupid.

Boolit Master

I have this one with a 5 inch barrel. It was converted to 45 Colt prior to me owning it. It loves cast bullets!

Boolit Grand Master

Greatest gun ever. Shot it in USPSA Revolver for years until the rules change to allow my 627. Still love the old girl. It shoots the Lee 452-228-1R very well. I load them as cast of quenched range scrap and lube with Rooster Jacket.

<==============
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I have one of the 1989 model 625 and it is the best handgun I have ever had. Accurate,dependable and the trigger is great both single and double. Shoots well with a lot of differnt loads it is not pickie at all the Lee 200gr. swc micro grove with 5.0 gr. Red Dot or 6.5 gr. Acc.#5 in .45 auto rim is the hot ticket for me.

Boolit Master
    Well, I tried some 230 commercial cast bullets pushed by 4.2 grains of 231 and a few with 5gr of unique. It shot patterns. Maybe too light of a load. At any rate I sure hope it's the ammo. Today I shot the new to me 625 and an old 1955 target, the 1955 shot way better even with it's huge over sized throats. We are talking 6" pattern off sandbags at 25 yds. I sure hope it isn't me or the gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4076.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Arlon;
    I had a 625-6 Model of 1989 with a 5” barrel until this past Christmas when I gifted it to my son, and VERY MUCH still have my 625-8 JM Special with a 4” barrel. Either of them will, on demand, shoot under an inch at 25 yards off a rest with a variety of loads. Both of those revolvers have perfect .452” throats (as issued).

My most shot load is my home cast Mihec version of the #68 H&G 200 gr. SWC over 4.0 Grs. Of Bullseye or equivalent. My speed reloading load is the Lee TC 230 in moonclips at full tilt. They load slick as could be.

This was shot standing at 25 yards:

The 625-8 is about as good as it gets IMHO! I have shot mine thousands of times!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I love my 625-8. Love it.

Almost anything I load for it shoots well, I size to the throats (.452) and it makes holes appear in targets exactly where I want them to, as though by magic.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I'm starting to think this one may be one of the lemons I've heard about. There are so many people that love them then are a small percentage that are just horrible. I know one guy sent his back to S&W and they ended up replacing almost everything but the frame to get it to shoot properly.

Probably why this one was for sale. I'll be trying some other loads and some other eyes to see if maybe it's my eye sight that's slowly going south. Something is amiss.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the same model you do and for me it shoots great. I like to shoot in IPSC like matches with Revolvers and I alternate between the 625 and the 929. Moon clips for the win!!

Boolit Master

Try some loads in 45 AutoRim cases. I think the fit of assorted clips on ACP cases can have an adverse effect on accuracy. My pet load in my 1955 Target M25 is AR brass, 5.8 grs of W231, and a hard cast 200 SWC. The same load in ACP brass with clips is a lot less accurate. One of these days I'll do a real comparison test between different clip styles and AR brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Try some loads in 45 AutoRim cases. I think the fit of assorted clips on ACP cases can have an adverse effect on accuracy. My pet load in my 1955 Target M25 is AR brass, 5.8 grs of W231, and a hard cast 200 SWC. The same load in ACP brass with clips is a lot less accurate. One of these days I'll do a real comparison test between different clip styles and AR brass.
    Shot both AR brass and clips today. Both were dismal... It's possible I'm having eye issues too. My close focus point keeps getting further away. It's between the front and rear sights now.

Open the cylinder and look at the top strap, you should see 3 holes. If you're having issues with the sights get a scope/reddot & a Weigand mount and never look back. Since 1992? s&w drill & tap their revolvers for scope mounts.

If this revolver doesn't group with a scope on it the next 1 will.

Great information above. I have one, but have not shot it yet. That's going to have to wait until we get to Montana. However, I have fondled it enough to know that I got one made on a Tuesday. Gap is .002, no endshake, the barrel is straight, and I really like the brass bead front sight. If it works as well as others say it does, I see a couple of my Smith's getting the same front sight. Hope those who have issues get them straightened out.

Boolit Buddy
    Arlon , e mail sent

Boolit Master

Went shooting with my brother in law today and I mentioned to him last time we were shooting that I as looking for a 625 or a nice 1917. Today he showed up at the range with a new in the box 625-4 with 4" mountain barrel, think that's what it's called.
    He said 700 and its yours, its mine now. I had about 300 45 cap there to shoot and he had the moon clips, I shot about 200 rounds through it, I am real happy with accuracy and trigger both double and single action. Think I found my new love. Groups at 25 yards were 2-3" what a steal for such a nice accurate gun.