Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another which pot should I buy thread

Another which pot should I buy thread

Greetings from a new member. Ton of great info here, learn something new every day.

I have a Lee 10 lb bottom pour pot that was given to me by a friend a few years ago. He had never seriously used it so it was basically new. I've used it a fair bit and it still works well enough. Drips a little but gets the job done, however, I've reached the point where I'd like to have a larger capacity pot. The Lee 4-20 is a possibility. No frills, good price, replacement parts available, but, after using the Lee 10 pounder for a while I feel like trying something different.

I've had good luck with RCBS stuff and have been waiting for the Pro Melt 2 to become available. It's supposed to start shipping later this month but I'm not confident that will actually happen. Based on what I've read I think I'd actually prefer a used original Pro Melt but can't seem to find a decent one for sale. One appeared on Ebay the other day for $175 + $35 shipping but looks pretty rough. Money isn't the only factor but for that price I could get a new Lyman Mag 25 from Amazon for $214 & free shipping. The Mag 25 seems pretty good. Bottom pour with 25 lb capacity and PID control. I've seen the complaints about the mold guide but that doesn't concern me too much, probably just make a new one. I've never actually used either but it's hard for me to imagine the casting performance of the Lyman should be much different from the original Pro Melt (or the Pro Melt 2 for that matter). Anyone feel the RCBS might be worth waiting for or should I just buy a Lyman?
    When in doubt tell the truth. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    I would wait for the RCBS, Lyman customer service is not something you want to experience.

Boolit Grand Master

I would do a google search to find and buy an original ProMelt. Its a good solid pot with very few complaints. For a bigger and more expensive pot, look at Magma Engineering. A few members have had issues with their Lyman pots and the new RCBS will probably be from China.

Lyman has REALLY gone south.

BUT, I’ve done all my casting in a Lyman pot for the last decade. I’ve had two. Burned the other one up. I was....abusive. So, it was my fault.
    Eventually I’m going to convert this one to PID but the one I’m using now has a lot of miles on it and is still running strong.

Banned
    RCBS is the only choice.

Boolit Master
    I've been using a Lyman Mag25 for quite a while.I like it.The new RCBS pot will be from China.Apparently RCBS is going thru the same thing Lyman did with the Mag25.Delays in introduction probably because of quality problems.The Lee 4-20 is a decent pot.I don't care for Lee products but their lead melting pots are acceptable.

Boolit Grand Master

I discovered I could cast better boolits with a Lyman ladle and open top pot, gave the bottom pour to a fellow member and bought a new 20 lb. Lee Magnum Melter and Lyman ladle. Pressure casting with 2 , 3 and 4 cavity moulds is the way that works best for me.
    If you ever want to get away from bottom pour and give the ladle / pressure casting technique a try the Magnum Melter is a winner and no leaks.....and worth the price.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

there is a rough looking promelt on fleby for 175$

Let's face it: a boolit casting furnace isn't a thing of beauty. To me it's beautiful if it operated properly.

I bought my Pro Melt in '80 (maybe '81) after 1. a Lyman (died) & 2. a Lee (10 lb.). I gave the Lee to my son for fishing weights.

Love the Pro Melt! No problems until 2 wks. ago when the switch died. A 1-800 call to R.C.B.S. & I had a new switch in 3 days @ no cost. Do the math....37 years service.

Try to find an original Pro Melt.

Henry

Boolit Master

RCBS will rebuild a Pro-Melt for only $100 freaking bucks plus return shipping. They don't bother to tell you that when you call in and ask about sending the pot back for repair. I sent mine in, waited a week after they received it, and called in. The young lady I talked to told me my pot was fixed and had just gone down to shipping to be returned to me at NO CHARGE. Imagine my shock when another lady called a week later and asked for a credit card # to pay for repair and return shipping. I was flabbergasted and thought it was a scam. So I hung up and called back on the RCBS 800 number. Well she we right. I had to authorize the repair work. I'll get an email sometime next week letting me know the exact charges.

First time RCBS has ever pissed me off. Must have hired someone from lyman.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    RCBS will rebuild a Pro-Melt for only $100 freaking bucks plus return shipping. They don't bother to tell you that when you call in and ask about sending the pot back for repair. I sent mine in, waited a week after they received it, and called in. The young lady I talked to told me my pot was fixed and had just gone down to shipping to be returned to me at NO CHARGE. Imagine my shock when another lady called a week later and asked for a credit card # to pay for repair and return shipping. I was flabbergasted and thought it was a scam. So I hung up and called back on the RCBS 800 number. Well she we right. I had to authorize the repair work. I'll get an email sometime next week letting me know the exact charges.

First time RCBS has ever pissed me off. Must have hired someone from lyman.
    That's the impression I got last time I called. The golden days at RCBS are gone. I better go cancel that Pro Melt 2. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

I would get a unit with a a PID. It seems you wait on the RCBS, roll the dice with Lyman or go low tech with Lee. The Lee is not that bad but I would hook it tout a PID.

Boolit Master
    Started with a Lee 10#er, over forty years ago. Advanced to their 20#er, several years later. Made a big difference. Bought a used ProMelt (220 volt,) but I can only use it in my garage, the only place I have a 220 outlet. Very good pot, even without a PID.

Recently, purchased the Lyman Mag 25, cause I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. I've been casting for so long, that a PID isn't mandatory for me. I never even used a thermometer. So far, it's been trouble free. I reversed and slightly modified the mould guide on it to be able to cast with NOE, Accurate and Mi-Ha's wider moulds. BTW, NOE offers a replacement mould guide that works for both the Lyman Mag 25 and the Pro-Melt. I ordered one and plan on installing it on the Pro-Melt for my next casting session.

If I was younger, I would have bit the bullet and bought a 40# Magma.... but my casting days are numbered.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Lee pots do not have a thermostat. Lee pots use an "infinite Control" similar to an electric range and although the heat from the pot does affect the control, the effect is small. It is more like a crude dimmer than a thermostat and is responsible for the huge growth of PIDs.

The old school RCBS Pro Melt and Lyman furnaces used Real thermostats with mercury inside a cap tube and were quite accurate. There is a "dead Band", temp needs to fall below the "Band" to turn on etc., but the RCBS/Lyman guys didn't go for PID like the Lee Owners.

I scored an old school Pro Melt which I've gotten to the test point. I need to finish a PID tonight to use as a thermometer to see if the thermostat is good. PIDs cost about the same as a good lead thermometer and my thermometer burned up. LOL

I had 2 PID controlled Lee 4-20s, will run the Pro Melt while I build a custom 50 pounder. The new pot will be PID controlled because it's less expensive/more accurate, and the built in thermometer.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 02-08-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Thanks for the opinions, guys.
    I actually spoke with a tech at RCBS yesterday. I was calling about a different topic but did also ask about delivery of the Pro Melt 2. He told me a shipment was expected today and a random sample of those would be sent to QA. He thought if QA went well the pots would be made available for sale at the end of this month. However, he did say that they have been trying to get these shipped for a year and wouldn't guess if they would actually be able to ship anything. Even if they do ship I'm not crazy about dropping $250 on new Chinese hardware, would rather spend that on something old and proven. So, for now I guess I'll keep searching for an original Pro Melt. Really looks like the best choice in my price range for bottom pour. Adding a PID control will be easy enough. The Magma Engineering pots sure look nice though, maybe someday.
    When in doubt tell the truth. Mark Twain

I'm very happy with my RCBS. It doesn't drip.

I have a Lyman mag 20 and it has worked fine for years and my first Lyman pot from the early 1980s still works after I derusted the thermostat. Has there been an over abundance of problems with the new mag 25? Remember people with problems make the most noise on forums. So I suspect the vast majority do not have problems?

Boolit Bub
    I'd like to reinforce the idea fo buying an original pro-melt. It'sa great furnace and you'll never look back. It doesn't have a PID but the thermostat does a great job. Even while I have built a couple of PIDs in the past (one for a Lee pot and the other for my Star sizer) I don't think I need one witht he pro-melt.
    When I bought mine used I paid $200 for it. It was in a great shape and should last for a very long time.

For the last 10 years I've used a 2 quart dutch oven on a single, BBQ style, gas ring. That pot holds about 30 pounds or more of lead so small top ups don't affect temp too much. Couple that with a soup ladle with a 1/16 hole drilled in the bottom and you have a setup that can cast tens of thousands of bullets for years to come and never drip. With a pair of 4 gang molds I can get about 900 - 1000 bullets an hour after the pot is hot. I don't know about your side of the planet, but over here, gas is cheaper than electricity.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

I'm a firm believer in not lumping electric or electronic tools together. I would look for a PID that I could use anyplace I wanted a PID with any pot of that voltage. Then look for a pot I liked. I'm another Magnum Melter and Ladle user. Works well. If I wanted a bottom pour I would probably look at a Lee 20# first. Which is why I would want a separate PID. Use it with my old pot, use it with the new pot. Use it with a Lyman or an RCBS. Use it with lube heater or a hot plate or.... As opposed to having a $100 device built in that can only service the item it is built into.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast