Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Fast Track Me, Please...

Guy La Pourque

Fast Track Me, Please...

Hey boys, long time no see!

After a long stint with life, and time only for a few cherished trips to the range - and then time only for the precision rifle and the AR... I finally have time on my hands for my beloved roller.

I want to try patching in the worst way. For now, I just need to get started. I've slugged my 45-70 roller at approx. .458~.459. So - if I want to patch, I have to size the bullet down. If my patch paper is .003" - then I must size the bullet: .459 - (.003 x 4) = .447.... and that should theoretically give me a starting point. Does that jive with you guys?

My moulds all throw bullets in that exact diameter; and I know Lee makes some sizing kits but I didn't see one for .447. How do I proceed from here? Do I have to shell out $$$ for a dedicated lube/sizer? What would you guys do?

You'll also have better luck with a PP or hollow base bullet, as it gives the patch a place to tuck into once the bullet is wrapped. The tucked end in the hollow base also holds the crimp on the patches better.
    I have a few paper patched molds that cast the hollow base, and are smooth bullets, but I don't shoot BP or paper patch. I prefer the ease of lubricating and shooting lubed bullets for my old guns. If I was serious about pursuing PP bullets, I'd get a dedicated mold for that use. I wouldn't size bullets down to make them from a much larger bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

My best paper patched loads in 45 caliber are bore riders not groove dia. My mould is a smooth sided Brooks cup point adjustable set to drop .540 grn bullets from 20-1 alloy. They measure .442 - .443 dia. I don't size these. I wrap with 2 wraps of seth cole 55W paper. ( Mine measures .0018 average from 10 measurements along the edge). I have also used the buffalo arms onion paper with good results. My wrapped bullets are .449-.450 dia with no tail. I pacth so a .090-.125 circle of lead shows in the base inside the paper. This gives a very flat base and nice even fold under. My patches are cut so there are 2 wraps -.030" this leaves a small gap between the 2 edges of the paper to allow for the small radius where the wrap over the end is. They are very round this way. The plus to bore riders is they can be loaded way out ( my load only has .150 of the base in the case). the bullet is well centered in the bore when loaded and are very accurate. My load is the amount of 1 1/2f powder to get the height and .125 compression for a .060 napa rubber fiber wad. a ,090 grease cookie a playing card wad ( .020) and 2 tracing paper wads and have the .150 seating depth left. Neck tension is light enough the bullet is hand seated on the wad stack then neck tension set to just lightly hold the bullet. I use a mecham bushing die with the appropriate sized bushing.

The draw back to the bore rider bullet is most modern dies wont size small enough for them. A bushing die is needed or a special die to size down enough for them. The cup base makes for a very flat base when wrapped and dosnt distort the base on firing like a tail does. The cup base and flat wrap also allows the base to be flat and contact the wad stack better.

A simple template can be made to cut patches with a exacto knife or razor blade. Or a paper cutter can be set up with a rail and angled guide to cut them. I use a roller cutter with a angled quide (it a plexis glass sine bar I can set to end angle as I use slightly different angles for different calibers) and a stop rail for width and length. The template works well to start though. It can be made from sheet metals plastic or other thin tough material.

I still use a patch board for the added consistency. It just makes it easier for me to wrap the bullets. I normally wrap in the evening while watching TV and the board sets across my lap giving me a place to work them.

Guy La Pourque
    Well thanks for that, boys! I will have to give Boomer's moulds a shout!

Boolit Grand Master

Also a very good book on this Is Randolph S. Wrights, Loading and shooting the paper patched bullet a Beginners Guide. Its very good and comprehensive work on this. Its not overly expensive and available from several sources.