MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Question about 45/45/10 lube

Question about 45/45/10 lube

I’m very new to casting. Please bear with me as I have read a ton of archives but still have a few newbie questions. Is recluse’s 45/45/10 lube all I need or do I need something else right before I load, such as bore butter?
    When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw. Nelson Mandela

Moderator Emeritus

Shaky208,
    Welcome to the forum.

While 45-45-10 has some limitations, it is all that is needed (for lube) for low pressure smokeless rifle and pistol loads.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thank you, as far as low pressure rifles are you saying anything under 1500 fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw. Nelson Mandela

Moderator Emeritus

Some members here have claimed they achieve successful loads in rifle, up to, and even beyond 2000fps. They may have different techniques for applying it? like maybe putting on three coats...or like Ranch Dog's technique of Dip lubing, although he uses straight alox.

I like to use traditional lube (SL68B) for most everything, Except I do use 45-45-10 when I'm loading 38spl or 45 colt to standard loads or if I'm loading 22 Hornet (or other 22 centerfire) to 22LR velocities.

In the past, when I've used 45-45-10 for 243win or 257R or 6.5 or 30-06 ...I've had lube failure as low as the 1500 to 1600fps, but then, I use heat to apply it, to get a very very thin layer of two coats. So I just switched to traditional lube.

I would have thought others would chime in with their experience?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

I’ve experienced leading near the muzzle with my 45-70 Marlin CB. I attributed it to insufficient lube, so I switched to another product. Don’t remember at the moment. I’ll have to check my supply to see what it is, but no problems now.
    BTW, my load was 405 cast plain base at about 1300 fps.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Some members here have claimed they achieve successful loads in rifle, up to, and even beyond 2000fps. They may have different techniques for applying it? like maybe putting on three coats...or like Ranch Dog's technique of Dip lubing, although he uses straight alox.

I like to use traditional lube (SL68B) for most everything, Except I do use 45-45-10 when I'm loading 38spl or 45 colt to standard loads or if I'm loading 22 Hornet (or other 22 centerfire) to 22LR velocities.

In the past, when I've used 45-45-10 for 243win or 257R or 6.5 or 30-06 ...I've had lube failure as low as the 1500 to 1600fps, but then, I use heat to apply it, to get a very very thin layer of two coats. So I just switched to traditional lube.

I would have thought others would chime in with their experience?
    I’ve looked into the sl68b, but I need some clarification. Is all the wax listed necessary or pick one from the list

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky208 View Post
    I’ve looked into the sl68b, but I need some clarification. Is all the wax listed necessary or pick one from the list

I covered that in post #2 of that stickied thread.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3389991
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~