Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck camper?

Boolit Master

Truck camper?

I recently retired and am looking forward to doing some fishing. For years I would pull my boat and then tent camp, but I’m not quite as tolerant of cold/heat/sleeping in a tent as I used to be. I still need to pull the boat and I just bought a new truck, so I’m thinking about a slide in truck camper. What I’m finding out is that a lot of them really are too heavy for the typical 1/2 ton truck

I’m giving some thought to making my own. Compared to tent living even a very minimalist camper with a heater, AC and a fridge would be a big improvement.

Anybody have any truck camper experience or advice they would like to share?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

In Remembrance
    Most homebuilt slide ins that I have seen wind up being much heavier than factory units. What I have seen is a shell then a home built insert that slips in the bed. I have seen a couple different versions of these that were pretty nice, they didn't have all the amenities of a normal slide in.

You might also look at the cache camper. I do not know what they weigh, but are basically a slide in with nothing in the interior.

Banned

Here is the direction I am going
    Oriented to to Cowboys, but can keep you warm or cool. Most places I have RV'd to have decent bathroom/showers so the camper is a hideout. Might have to spend a day or two in Texas for install

http://capricamper.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-53-640x640.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	213389

Name:	FullSizeRender_2-9-200x200.jpg 
Views:	959 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	213390

Boolit Master
    I had one built for a 1/2 ton truck that had over-load springs on it and it looked much like the one pictured. Since my wife and I are short we had it built to match our height. We crossed the US several times and kept for many years. It worked out great.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned
    That CapriCamper looks like a winner! Lightweight, simple and you can still tow a boat.

Boolit Master
    You can tow a boat with any of them. You can get a back-up camera from many places that allow you to back your trailer up with the boat on the back. I had two truck campers and I'm going to be getting another one now that I'm retired. I got more use out of my truck campers than any of the other campers I've owned.

Banned
    Your best bet would be to look for a used pop up type like a SunLite. My 8' one is 30 years old and still works fine. (I store it in a barn). Light enough to go on a 1/2 ton truck.

I think I would look for a tiny pull camper. Bed campers can be nice but when things go wrong loading and unloading them.....they can go VERY wrong.
    Were you to devote a truck specially to it, it might not be that bad.

Not cracking age jokes here but I have seen one of these fall and it would/could be really bad on a retired fella with a couple of winters under his belt. You might be in better shape than anyone but think of the risk taking it in and out.

Personally I wouldn’t.

Boolit Grand Master
    That capri looks sweet! My answer to this has been to build a platform - side to side - in the bed of the truck (using those indentations for lumber molded into the side wall of the bed). The platform is as long as I need to stretch out for sleeping, sits atop the wheel protrudences, and is carpeted. This allows me to sit up, on the platform with my feet out over the edge, but still inside the bed of the truck for dressing / shoes. I'm a fat guy but it's even easy for me. The area under the platform provides lots of storage and the area from the edge of the platform to the end of the bed serves to hold coolers and all that miscellaneous junk that accumulates. Add an air mattress and I'm good to go. My cap is a normal cap which is the same height as the roof of the truck. That capri looks like a Cadillac to me, but if you want to go cheap, my little thing is comfortable, dry and off the ground.

Boolit Master

A slide in pop up would be ideal for you, some of them extend over the cab and for a total length of about 11 or 12ft. I'm not sure about A/C in one, I believe I saw one with a window type unit installed in the back wall but that brings up the power problem.
    A 1/2 ton truck with any full size slide in and a boat would be overloaded, please keep that in mind when shopping.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Here is the direction I am going
    Oriented to to Cowboys, but can keep you warm or cool. Most places I have RV'd to have decent bathroom/showers so the camper is a hideout. Might have to spend a day or two in Texas for install

http://capricamper.com

Name:	FullSizeRender-53-640x640.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	213389

Name:	FullSizeRender_2-9-200x200.jpg 
Views:	959 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	213390
    I’m definitely going under the assumption I will have access to a restroom and shower. I’m used to boondocking with a tent and no facilities, so campgrounds are a step up. This is only for fishing trips and most lakeside campgrounds have electricity and water. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Nines&Twos View Post
    I think I would look for a tiny pull camper. Bed campers can be nice but when things go wrong loading and unloading them.....they can go VERY wrong.
    Were you to devote a truck specially to it, it might not be that bad.

Not cracking age jokes here but I have seen one of these fall and it would/could be really bad on a retired fella with a couple of winters under his belt. You might be in better shape than anyone but think of the risk taking it in and out.

Personally I wouldn’t.
    I can’t pull a travel trailer because of the boat. Camping is secondary to fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    A slide in pop up would be ideal for you, some of them extend over the cab and for a total length of about 11 or 12ft. I'm not sure about A/C in one, I believe I saw one with a window type unit installed in the back wall but that brings up the power problem.
    A 1/2 ton truck with any full size slide in and a boat would be overloaded, please keep that in mind when shopping.
    I am most definitely watching the weight. My truck has a payload capacity of 1600 pounds and is rated to tow 7300. The boat is a 17 foot aluminum. I’m going to need to verify, but I think it only weighs around 1100. I figure it should be no problem to construct something that comes in at under 1000 pounds, since it would essentially just be a shell with a bed and heater/AC. I have seen some pretty well thought out units that people have posted to the web.

If I do decide to go home built my biggest decision will be whether to frame with wood or 1” square steel tubing.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Just buy a tall truck cap and go from there. My dad did it that way as well as a older friend who is 70 and still going strong. Lee pulls a trailer with his ATV and Kayak all over the place. Not sure how to do AC in that setup but you could probably acquire some tiny unit a fabricoble it together.

Boolit Grand Master

Springs are only part of the trailer / load capacity. While springs keep the vehicle from sagging they do nothing for the axle rim strength and bearing load or even more importantly the added braking needed with more weight. Also remember that the boats trailer weight needs to be included with the boat. A tall fiberglass or aluminum truck cap would be a start. A heater and or Ac should be available from a RV shop that will work. The draw back of the tall cap will be in the sun it will get hot inside it. For other than sleeping a Awning on the side would provide shade and a place to cook and sit out of the sun. Something to consider.

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Had a topper on a truck years ago, then a pop up Coleman, I've seen a couple pop up truck tent types that look good with a solid locking hardtop deck. Worst time for me was on top of a van in the summer nite in the ramp parking lot.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Artful has it correct and that's only a 6' footer. My Sunlite weighs 1000 pounds and I had a Ford 1/2 ton with a straight 6. No problem or drama with it and towing a 16' Smoker craft all the way from NY to Fl and back for 5 years.

As you are retired (and didn't state how many in your fishing party) I'd first rent what i thought I'd like and try it. You can't get the cabover or tall topper everywhere, lots to maneuver around town at the walmart, etc. Without a proper heater system, those cold nights will be very wet from condensation ( been there). Years ago on trips with my father-in-law, found it was much easier/cheaper/restful to use sleeping bags at the flea bag motels around the lakes.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Great idea, IF you like bed bugs.

Boolit Master
    Guess I'm the odd one, I had a pop-up slide in and hated the thing. Pain to put in and takeout to free up the truck to go somewhere without breaking down camp to take it along. Got rid of it and put on a topper with wood bed shelf for sleeping with storage underneath, worked well for me. Now I simply keep a Hennessey hammock and day pack of camping essentials in the vehicle all the time. Camp anywhere anytime and I sleep better in the hammock than any bed I ever tried! Cheap simple and effective for me. I'm 59 and a bit "well fed" , I plan on this system thru retirement.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    I agree any camper can be a PIA UNLESS you buy one of these.

Not cheap, but you can off load your camper and still used it while being able to take your truck where you want.

http://stablelift.com

I love mine !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast