WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck camper?

Boolit Master
    I discovered these guys through a post on Craigslist. Turns out they're just a few hours away so I'm thinking of checking them out. This looks similar to what I would build for myself if I go that route. They say the base model is under $5K and about 700 pounds. For my minimal needs this might be enough.

https://www.eurekacamper.com/camper-...-truck-camper/

NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I thought that looked familiar, built right here in home town. If you would like I can go by and get some specific pictures or info for you. Been Considering a stop to check them out anyhow!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

Looks useful
    I like it

Moderator Emeritus

Nice and light design!

Boolit Grand Master
    Good thread. With hotel rooms getting very expensive, it is hard to justify attending many of the shoots I used to go to regularly. Most are 4-6 days and decent rooms are $100-150 a night. I RV'd with a 5th wheel for 5 years but looking for something smaller that does not need a large truck to haul safely. So something like this or a pop up. Nice thing with a truck camper is I could still pull a trailer with my SxS.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I went and looked at the Eureka camper. They had an 8 foot non-cabover on the lot. With AC and a set of jacks it would have been $6100. The guy was extremely nice and gave me a tour of the shop where they were building them. They appeared to be well built and are indeed built on welded aluminum frames.

That said, $6100 is a lot of money for a box to sleep in and my truck has a 6.5 foot bed, so buying this one would necessitate sitting it on the tailgate and then using a hitch extension to hook up my boat.

So, like a fool I have decided to build my own very minimalist non-cabover that doesn’t overhang my bed. I spent the last couple of afternoons playing around with some drawings and buying materials. Today I began construction on the frame. I will post some pictures as it progresses.

So far the most expensive thing has been the corner jacks to lift it off the truck. I could always just load it at home using my tractor loader, but I want to be able to drop it at a campsite if I need extra clearance to launch my boat or other such stuff.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Grand Master

I built a slide in camper for my '88 Dodge Dakota 4X4 many years ago. I used a wood frame, foam insulation, aluminum skin on luan on the outside. Bought 3 windows from Home Depot and a roof vent with fan from an RV store. I was given an old set of the side lifts with winch and cable that were positioned on either side at the balance point. My truck had a v6 with a manual trans so power was low, but it worked. I also took it down some pretty nasty dirt trails when hunting. Would take it off when we got to our camp site.
    Had a table that made into a bed, built in ice box, 9 gal. water system with pump and sink, small refillable propane tank, and cabinets. A single mantle propane lantern was enough heat to keep it warm even when overnight temps went to freezing.
    Building this was my first experience with Gorilla Glue and when I laid out the bottom pieces and screwed/glued them together on my garage floor they would not move the next morning! Took awhile with a hammer and putty knife to get it loose.
    We did take it on several long trips and it worked good. Wife wanted more room so after several different rvs we are now in a 35' motorhome.
    We also previous to this build had a Ford long bed with a bolt on shell with rear door that I could just stand up in. I made a bed in in but should had made a slide in unit for the bed because that exposed steel was either cold or hot most of the time.

If I wanted one vehicle to pull my boat and also camp in some I would buy a van and build in what I wanted. I had 2 different VW camper vans and 2 Dodge vans I did this with. I used these as daily drivers also.

Boolit Master
    The van idea doesn't work for me right now for a couple of reasons. First, I just bought a new truck in December so no more vehicles for me for a few years. Second, there have been times on wet, steep or muddy boat ramps where I have needed 4WD to pull the boat out of the water. Do they even make 4WD vans?
    NRA Endowment Member

Moderator Emeritus

YUP!

https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/

Conversion place http://advanced4x4vans.com/4x4-van/f...an-conversion/

and many more!

I used to have a 1979 Ford 4wd van. Thing was a tank and I took it down some jeep trails they said it would never fit down!

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    The van idea doesn't work for me right now for a couple of reasons. First, I just bought a new truck in December so no more vehicles for me for a few years. Second, there have been times on wet, steep or muddy boat ramps where I have needed 4WD to pull the boat out of the water. Do they even make 4WD vans?

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    YUP!

https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/

Conversion place http://advanced4x4vans.com/4x4-van/f...an-conversion/

and many more!

I used to have a 1979 Ford 4wd van. Thing was a tank and I took it down some jeep trails they said it would never fit down!
    Those can't be cheap!
    NRA Endowment Member

Banned

"Today I began construction on the frame. I will post some pictures as it progresses."

Will be most interested in your progress
    Looking forward to some pictures

Boolit Grand Master

I built 2 covers with 1 1/2" spruce and luan int. covered on the outside with diamond embossed aluminum. Everything glued and stapled or screwed. The glass weighed as much as the cover. You could load or onload from inside by lifting with your back and sliding 2X4s over barrels, under the cover.
    Built in 68, and 1 still traveling in 2006.
    We (wife and I) started in a pup tent, and as the family grew, we graduated to a dome tent, truck cover, 13' camper, 18' camper, and then combinations. We camped for over 29 years, and sold all but the tents. Sure do miss those times with the family. Now my roughing it is done in a recliner and king size feather soft with AC & Heat and NO cutting wood.
    Last edited by mold maker; 02-18-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

Box on my truck is gone... I have been debating building a lightweight camper on the frame... well frame on frame with poly body bushings in between... My family holidays are a 350 mile round trip now and I can't drive that in a day(back issues with pain spikes down both legs) but I can tolerate up and stay overnight. If I build it right and insulate it will even be comfortable for Christmas use at -20f if needed.

Boolit Grand Master

It can also provide quick and efficient emergency shelter.

Boolit Master
    So here’s where I am so far:

This is the basic frame. It’s sitting on a dolly I made so I can roll it into the barn when it’s off the truck. Also, I didn’t want to paint it white sitting in the bed of a black truck.

Next step is to add the sides that extend past the bed rails. The ultimate plan is for a non-cabover unit that will take a twin mattress E-W but still be able to close the tailgate. Yes, it’s built out of much heavier stuff than the typical camper. I can still lift it as it is, and the upper section will be lighter. I wanted a good solid foundation so the wind forces would have somewhere to go. And I will happily sacrifice a little fuel economy for not having to worry about shaking itself apart at highway speeds. Every joint is screwed and also glued with Titebond III. I can only work when it’s above 45° because I want the glue to set properly. Glue adds a great deal of strength to mechanical joints without adding weight.

I’m going to create a web page to document the build, just in case someone might find it useful.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    I found these guys today. This model looks useful, but they are in Arizona (and I’ve already started.)
    Mine should comfortably cost half that, even including the four new camper jacks.

http://www.rockabyecampers.com/kiss_tallboy
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't see what you'r using for frame material, but even thin gussets at frame joints will be a plus with very little added weight.

Boolit Buddy
    I always thought these were a great idea. They are made for off road so they are really light weight and sturdy. You can get just a shell up to fully equipped. They make them for even the smallest trucks, too.
    http://www.fourwh.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I went and looked at the Eureka camper. They had an 8 foot non-cabover on the lot. With AC and a set of jacks it would have been $6100. The guy was extremely nice and gave me a tour of the shop where they were building them. They appeared to be well built and are indeed built on welded aluminum frames.

That said, $6100 is a lot of money for a box to sleep in and my truck has a 6.5 foot bed, so buying this one would necessitate sitting it on the tailgate and then using a hitch extension to hook up my boat.

So, like a fool I have decided to build my own very minimalist non-cabover that doesn’t overhang my bed. I spent the last couple of afternoons playing around with some drawings and buying materials. Today I began construction on the frame. I will post some pictures as it progresses.

So far the most expensive thing has been the corner jacks to lift it off the truck. I could always just load it at home using my tractor loader, but I want to be able to drop it at a campsite if I need extra clearance to launch my boat or other such stuff.

It is do-able, but you will have a hard time keeping the weight down using standard building materials. You might want to research light weight composite panels like they use when building homemade house boats. They make panels that are foam bonded to thin plywood that are stiff, but light. The aluminum frame would be great if you can weld. I had a friend who built a box similar to a camper on his older Chevy out of 2x4s and plywood. The older trucks were heavy duty compared to modern trucks and had heavier frames and springs. Even this plain box was heavy and on a modern truck it would have been sagging the springs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast