Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Truck camper?

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the newer RVs are made with those foam panels. Problem is they tend to delaminate if water should get to them. I currently have this issue with my motorhome.
    If I build another truck camper or other similar item I will use the aluminum skin that is used on freight trailers.
    For some reason the picture of your build are not visible when I click on the link. ?

Boolit Master
    Let me try to post a picture on the site. I used Google images and it should be showing, but who knows? Just another reason to be mad at Photobucket I guess. It’s not on the dolly in this photo, and you can see how wide it’s going to be minus the sheeting. It’s planned to me just a hair under 80” and have room for a twin mattress sideways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B75EEC18-2AEC-4F6D-B3D1-6F8E5F717CEE.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	214851

Yes, I realize I have to cut through the 2x6 in the back to make room for a door. I’m tentatively making it tall enough to stand up in, but it sure looks tall in the back of the truck so I might just trim it down a bit.

Name:	7C61348B-1B93-442C-A1FC-4082290D16ED.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	214852
    Last edited by Elkins45; 02-22-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

When I built mine I used 2"X3" boards, notched to fit the side rails which were 2"X4", screwed and Gorilla glued. Saved some weight and proved to be strong enough to survive for about 20 years so far. I sold truck and camper to a friend, who sold it to his son who still has it.
    I made mine with a small cab-over section to be used for storage. Came in handy for bedding and such. The bottom and sides in the truck box were plywood. Had runners down the length so the camper could slide without catching on the truck bed. Came in handy when unloading off road on uneven terrain.

Boolit Master
    I'm rethinking the idea of maybe adding a small cabover as much for aerodynamics as for space, but I doubt I will.

The really crazy idea I'm toying with (at some point far into the future) is creating some sort of hybrid camper and boat trailer using a 22 or 24 foot car hauler. The idea would be to build a three wall cabin in front that's open in the back with a hinged fourth wall that folds back. To travel you would winch the boat trailer onto it and strap it down. When you get to the destination, offload the boat trailer and then park the camper. Use the winch to lift and secure the back wall: instant camper! Then hook up the boat trailer and launch the boat. It's such a great idea I don't understand why someone hasn't done it already Or just go whole hog and get a 24 foot enclosed car hauler and install a winch in the front.

I also like the idea of a custom trailer that couples with the boat trailer to make a single unit. There would probably have to be a steerable axle like a farm wagon under the camper section because the boat trailer has a fixed axle. The back end of the camper trailer would have a V with a ball mount the the boat trailer would be locked into so the whole think towed as a single unit. This would have to be something totally custom, and it would probably be cheaper just to buy a commercial camper and be done with it...but what's the fun in that?
    NRA Endowment Member

Banned

I think the cab-over will be problematic
    I think a custom trailer with a boat and a kitichen and head and dining would be useful
    A lot to think about

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I'm rethinking the idea of maybe adding a small cabover as much for aerodynamics as for space, but I doubt I will.

The really crazy idea I'm toying with (at some point far into the future) is creating some sort of hybrid camper and boat trailer using a 22 or 24 foot car hauler. The idea would be to build a three wall cabin in front that's open in the back with a hinged fourth wall that folds back. To travel you would winch the boat trailer onto it and strap it down. When you get to the destination, offload the boat trailer and then park the camper. Use the winch to lift and secure the back wall: instant camper! Then hook up the boat trailer and launch the boat. It's such a great idea I don't understand why someone hasn't done it already Or just go whole hog and get a 24 foot enclosed car hauler and install a winch in the front.

I also like the idea of a custom trailer that couples with the boat trailer to make a single unit. There would probably have to be a steerable axle like a farm wagon under the camper section because the boat trailer has a fixed axle. The back end of the camper trailer would have a V with a ball mount the the boat trailer would be locked into so the whole think towed as a single unit. This would have to be something totally custom, and it would probably be cheaper just to buy a commercial camper and be done with it...but what's the fun in that?
    Most states allow you to tow a boat behind a travel trailer.

Banned

I bet backing up a tandem is a blast

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Ever see guys driving tandem logging trucks? Some of those guys are incredible.
    Don Verna

Banned

No, but hat’s off to them

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    To quote Clint Eastwood as Harry Callihan, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

The whole point of a fishing trip is to have fun. I can’t imagine much that would be less fun than trying to maneuver a dual trailer setup around. Pulling a 4K tractor/loader and mower on a car carrier is about all the load I ever want behind me. Besides, I like to bass fish in Florida and double trailers are illegal there.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    To quote Clint Eastwood as Harry Callihan, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

The whole point of a fishing trip is to have fun. I can’t imagine much that would be less fun than trying to maneuver a dual trailer setup around. Pulling a 4K tractor/loader and mower on a car carrier is about all the load I ever want behind me. Besides, I like to bass fish in Florida and double trailers are illegal there.
    Pulling two trailers sounded easier to me than winching a boat trailer on and off another trailer.

But Florida doesn't allow it. So the option is no good for you.

In Remembrance
    Why winch the boat trailer up on op of the modified camper trailer, just back it on and unhook. the hitch can stick out behind the other trailer 4 feet, to save room. Easy Peasy, If that is what a guy wanted.

I had a friend that bought a damaged fifth wheel trailer and took it down to the bare frame, them mounted a cab over camper on front and built a big redwood front porch, deck kind of deal, it actually turned out pretty neat, and would have been easy to have backed a short boat trailer up on and took off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Why winch the boat trailer up on op of the modified camper trailer, just back it on and unhook. the hitch can stick out behind the other trailer 4 feet, to save room. Easy Peasy, If that is what a guy wanted.

I had a friend that bought a damaged fifth wheel trailer and took it down to the bare frame, them mounted a cab over camper on front and built a big redwood front porch, deck kind of deal, it actually turned out pretty neat, and would have been easy to have backed a short boat trailer up on and took off.
    That idea has a lot of merit, and has the advantage of making sure the majority of the weight is over or in front of the axle.
    NRA Endowment Member

Most guys don’t back tandems, they unhitch the boat and set up the camper then launch the boat hooked to the truck.
    Best one I saw was a Ford excursion going down the road. Short bed 3/4 ton pickup bed trailer with a fifth wheel hitch, attached was a 30’ gooseneck camper and behind that was a 22’ boat on a trailer. I’m not sure how that was legal?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Moderator Emeritus

Lengthen your trailer to the max allowed in your state and have the back part be the boat trailer with a camper cab on the front end of the trailer. Or go the really expensive route and get one of those houseboat campers! I ad just unloaded my boat and was waiting at the dock when this guy started backing a camper down the ramp, no boat behind. He kept right on backing until the water was up to the bottom of the front doors then I heard some latches unlock and the back of the camper floated off! They anchored around the islands all week and fished from a small 12' boat they had strapped on top.

Boolit Master
    I made a little progress today. I added the horizontal supports for the part that hangs over past the bed rails and the uprights at front and back.

Name:	IMG_3591.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	215874

One thing you will quickly learn if you're trying to make something that's even remotely square is that the 2X2's you find at Lowes or Home Depot are garbage. I've decided to the really crucial parts like the roof joists and runners I'm going to buy some premium 2X4s and rip them on the table saw. Some of the 2x2s I saw in the stack were out of true in all three dimensions.

I haven't tallied up how much I've spent on everything so far, but I have been charging all the building materials on my Lowes card to get the 5% discount and the bill was $437 for this month.
    NRA Endowment Member

Moderator Emeritus

Even the so called premium 2x4's are junk at Menards... they take all the garbage and pile it back on top of the good stuff. Last time I was there I made them use the forklift to move the pile and open a new pallet. I wasn't buying everybody else's rejects!

In Remembrance
    That is the nice thing about having your own sawmill. lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123