Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What about this?

Boolit Buddy

What about this?

I picked up a Stevens 44 in 25 RF, I am thinking about relining the barrel to to 22 Mag RF.
    any other suggestions would be welcome.
    BD

Boolit Master

Convert to centerfire and reline and chamber for .32 S&W-L
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    What is the Barrel Interior Appearance? You could Try it out as a .25 by using a .25ACP Bullet and a .27 CAL Grade #2 Powder Tool Load blank (PTL) as a 'Breech loaded separate set' and see how it is for existing accuracy.
    Yes, the PTL is slightly small; it will be about .268" or .269" body diameter, and the chamber probably is about .280" diameter At the breech End.
    a possible source of Lead .25 CAL bullets is 'Hunters supply' as they advertise 48 grain .25 cal Soft lead bullets for use in air rifles. A tumble lube will be easy and enough to try your rifle for accuracy as is.
    'Hunters supply' used to list a 63 grain 'air rifle' bullet also but lack of demand took it out of Production. I was able to talk them inot running a lot of Them as hand cast for a added fee as they KEPT the Mold, it just didn't pay to set it up in a casting Machine.
    What would be a better bullet would be a 67 grain cast Lead one to match the original .25 Stevens RF Cartridge original.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-06-2018 at 12:15 AM.

I am interested in this project also, I looked on stevespages and found the rim diameter for a 25 RF is suppose to be .333. That is about .040 or so larger than a 22 mag rf so I think you would need to modify the firing pin or possibly move it to strike the rim right.
    You may be able to make a offset firing pin, I have a Davenport centerfire rifle with a pin like that .

Jedman

I had a 44 in 25rf, I was going to go for 22mg to. My Smith takes me into 22LR, he knows me well. I can tell you I got a lot more use out of it than a 22 mg and rifle is a tack driver. Depends
    on what you are going to use it for. I had a Favorite 25rf lined to 22mg, it was ok but nothing to
    right home about.

Most of the time a .25 breechblock will give a perfectly good strike on a .22 cartridge. The firing pin nose is quite large, and the difference in the position of the strike area between the two rims is only .025" or so. Plenty of overlap there. Try it before you commit to modifying the breechblock. The .22 Magnum is an excellent choice for a Model 44.

.22 Magnum in a Favorite is an accident waiting to happen. No way is the link in a Favorite going to stand up to .22 Mag pressures for long. Headspace will open up, and pretty soon you will get burst rims.
    Cognitive Dissident

bigdog, Maybe you could get a measurement of the present chamber and make a adapter to chamber a 22 mag and pull the bullet and try firing it to see how the pin strikes the rim.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to everyone, I'm machining a 22 hornet to to accept a 22rf blank and then will resize it to 25 rf dim. If that dosen't work, I'll reline the bbl.
    BD

Boolit Master
    Resizing .22 Hornet to .25 Stevens RF diameter will work but I question your plan to machine BEFORE reducing the Hornet's diameter.
    If you are intending to Swage the body and base down to size, it will reduce the inside diameter also, including your machined bore for the .22RF you plan.
    I suggest you swage the case down to diameter Before machining it to function as an adapter.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William