Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Anybody help me out with what this is?

Anybody help me out with what this is?

Was offered this piece, as I'm looking for a revolver project but the guy with it had no idea and neither do I thanks in advance.

Last edited by AKholicBubba; 02-04-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Adding more pics

Boolit Master

It looks like a Super Blackhawk frame lower that has badly fitted grips on it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Looks like SBH grip frame
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Ok I think y'all are right. I was just looking at the SBH frames styles and it looks quite the same. I don't have it in my possession yet. I'm waiting for more photos and a price. I know it won't be cheap for all the other parts but I may get this frame cheap. I think it will be a good "first" revolver project.

If it is a SBH frame, it has been reshaped/ rounded off on the bottom. The SBH is upside down funnel shape- why I never warmed to it. You need a Super Blackhawk or Blackhawk handy to compare your grip frame to.

Well he's been looking for the cylinder frame to go with it. I've searched everywhere online and have no idea how I can get one otherwise so looks like I'm going to tell him I pass on it unless he finds that cylinder frame. He's got lots of 1911 parts he's saying so I told him to see what he's got and if he's at least got a good frame and some of the parts for it I'll just go that route. Been wanting to do one of those 1911 online deals where you get the frame missing a few holes and a parts kit and build on it over the next year (sooner depending on my money situation) or even one of those polymer 80% Glock builds to start. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a beat up revolver though to just rebuild I guess. Either way I go it's for my girlfriend. She wants to have one that we ( meaning me) build together. First I was thinking of the cheapest possible AR build but then I started seeing all these pistol build kits and that looks really fun too.
    Last edited by AKholicBubba; 02-04-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Build a cap and ball revolver from a kit. Good experience for fitting parts, metal finishing and wood finishing. Then move on to the pistol build. Just my .02

I never thought about that. I like that idea alot actually. And I'm sure it's not nearly as expensive or particular. Any idea a good place to start looking?

Boolit Master
    I think it will cost more to build one then buying one. Like buying a Harley frame then buying all the parts to build one. Unless you can find all the parts cheap. Good luck doing that.

I already found some options for less than $300. Not sure how much she will like it but I can definitely have some fun with it. And like you said it will be very good experience. Thanks for that suggestion.

Yes that's what I told her, it would for sure be an over time project, and the tools alone are more expensive than buying a decent used gun

Well a couple places say they won't ship to Michigan cause it's illegal to ship black powder firearms here? Does that just mean I have to use an FFL or something, or am I just not getting one?