MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVA Double Rifle and Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good evening Crows make a fine way to get in practice for geese or ducks. We use a simple Outers crow call. Pictured are two young birds that came by looking for who was "calling". Looking forward to thinning the east ILLinois crow population this summer with #5 lead.
    The double was made with .62 heavy Belgium barrels and will shoot round ball also.
    The Trade rifle is a .60 that goes hunting for whatever game is in season minus the regulated waterfowl.
    Mike in Peru

Attachment 217417
    Wow, nice pair of flintlocks!!
    A trade gun in .60-.62 has been on my list for awhile now. Looking at a Fusil de Chasse. Would fit in perfectly with my French Canadian roots.
    Maybe someday converting a percussion double to flint would be an awesome project as well. Around 35 years ago,I had the opportunity to shoot a round of trap with an original flint double, in unbelievably pristine condition. Gave a whole new meaning to follow through....
    Thank you for the idea. Haven't hunted crows in I can't remember how long. Was a lot of fun though, and would be great practice for pass shooting ducks. Might have to do that this year.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

Boolit Grand Master

Add your flinter into the crows and you will be hooked ! Some days there are more crows coming in than I can keep up with. The double so far has not taken a double due to shooter error. But it will happen.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Will have to add a few crow shoots to the list this year for sure.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

I bought a used cva 50 dbl 25 years ago. Gun has a slow twist and is accurate just with patched round balls. If you have problems with the function of the left lock it is probably the sear. The left sear on mine wasn't properly heat treated and if bent at the tip. No luck find a new one.

BB

Boolit Mold
    A cylinder bore shotgun is pretty versatile. Bird shot, buck shot, patched round ball all work great in them. Experiment with powder and shot combinations to tighten or loosen patterns. Typically a square load is good but if you use more shot than powder it will tighten patterns while more powder than shot will open up the patterns. If you need black powder you can order it online and the more you buy the cheaper it is.

I don't remember where I heard this but figured it was good enough info to write it down...

"Less powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead. More powder, less lead, kicks hard, wide spread."

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I bought a used cva 50 dbl 25 years ago. Gun has a slow twist and is accurate just with patched round balls. If you have problems with the function of the left lock it is probably the sear. The left sear on mine wasn't properly heat treated and if bent at the tip. No luck find a new one.

BB
    Thank you, good to know. Have pulled the locks out to clean/lube, everything seems ok. Didn't check the hardness, but maybe not a bad idea to do that. Could save a lot of trouble.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post

BB
    Yes, that was one of the attractions to the BP smoothbore, versatility. Going to try bird shot first. Buck shot and non toxic are on the list. PRB is very interesting, am getting ready to order a mold.

Have found a couple places to order BP. Prices don't seem too bad if you order a decent quantity.

Going to go with square loads with traditional wads first, I expect it will work as well as it always has. Might go with shot cups with bird shot. With non toxic shot cups are going to be a must.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Finally have everything together to shoot both. Now all I need is the time to go out and shoot them, or a day when it isn't raining.
    Still working on making a wad punch for the 12ga., and am designing a tang sight for the rifle.

Too many projects, and too little time....
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker TN View Post
    Yes, paid more than I should have I guess. Got it for $450. But it's unfired, near as I can tell.
    Have thought of the PRB option, going to try it I think. Always good to have options. That's good shooting with any double!!
    Nothing wrong with the CVA guns. They and T/C used to be about the only game in town, got a lot of people shooting BP again.
    Try powder Inc/ BACO /TOW for good prices TYD /Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker TN View Post
    Yes, that was one of the attractions to the BP smoothbore, versatility. Going to try bird shot first. Buck shot and non toxic are on the list. PRB is very interesting, am getting ready to order a mold.

Have found a couple places to order BP. Prices don't seem too bad if you order a decent quantity.

Going to go with square loads with traditional wads first, I expect it will work as well as it always has. Might go with shot cups with bird shot. With non toxic shot cups are going to be a must.
    Lee makes great RB molds !

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Try powder Inc/ BACO /TOW for good prices TYD /Ed
    Thank you for the tip. Going to shoot Pyrodex right now, but have a couple flintlocks on the list next. So will have to be getting some of the real stuff.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Lee makes great RB molds !
    Yes, they make good molds in general. The newer ones seem to be much higher quality than the previous ones.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Finally got a chance to shoot the rifle this past weekend. Very promising so far. Shot Pyrodex RS, .490 RB, .010 patch with balistol/water lube. VERY tight fit in bores. Shot very well out to 50 yards, furthest I got to shoot it that trip. All pairs held less than 2", with 50-80 grain charges, with some pairs having both holes touching. Did find one issue, when barrels were crowned there was a pretty good sized burr that's in bores. Need to clean that up, and finish tang sight and install. Then take it out to maybe 100 yrds and try some heavier charges. Couldn't be happier so far though.
    Shotgun ranges were covered up with league shoots going on, so shotgun will have to wait for another day.....
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Boolit Master
    It has been more than a year, but have you had any more range experience with the CVA.50 double? I was under the impression that the twist in these barrels was 1:48, the same as the T/C .50s. Thinking there must be a conical out there that might shoot -- maybe even T/C's Maxiball.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12