RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Red dot vs. Promo

Red dot vs. Promo

I know the two powders are very similar. Has anyone noted any accuracy difference in loads worked up with red dot using the same charge of Promo?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

I have not. Red Dot meters better in my opinion, otherwise Promo is a fantastic deal. I have a lot of both

Hey Thumbcocker
    Identical volume charges will yield slightly different weights. Identical weights will yield slightly different velocities. The burn rates are virtually the same. Gas volume and early pressure spike is slightly greater in Red dot. In Promo, Alliant industries will adjust nitro content to compensate for inconsistencies in other base components. Red dot components are manufactured and refined to match original 100 year old specifications. Changing from one lot number to another with Promo can result in velocity and chamber pressure differences. Simply checking volume and weight differences will not nail Promo down to a given result of either. One must chronograph loads coming from a fresh caddy for a more correct adjustment decision. I personally have used twenty one jugs since 2000 and find no accuracy loss using Promo as a Red dot substitute. Requiring me to carefully retest and check ammunition characteristics on an eight pound schedule eliminates complacency. Well worth the money savings as well.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Bub
    I just substitute Promo for Red Dot on a weight basis. When I first started using Promo, I was concerned about the weight/volume difference, but after a decade I simply use the same powder bushings for both. Since all my Promo/Red Dot loads are light (7/8 oz or less in the 12 gauge) I have no concerns about pressure spikes.

Boolit Grand Master
    I contacted Ben ar Alliant years ago with respect to using it for pistol and rifle loads. Promo can be used for any load listed for Red Dot.

I had been using Promo in place of RD for Trap loads but wanted to be sure it would work with pistol and rifle as I wanted to stockpile a SHTF supply. I have 8 jugs

Promo has a different density than RD so if using bushings, it will drop a different weight.
    Don Verna

I simply use the Promo in the shotgun reloader.

Red Dot all gets either run through a powder measure with weights checked regularly or dipper.
    If I am using dippers I often weigh every load.

May cost me a few cents but avoids confusion. I like seeing the Red Dots.

I like seeing the red dots too,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by copdills View Post
    I like seeing the red dots too,
    Add in another one... +2 here.

P.S. - have not seen any Promo around here within 50 miles, anyway. I would have to order online or something.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

BPI JB, 16 lbs of powder and 5k or more primers spreads that hazmat out a bunch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    BPI JB, 16 lbs of powder and 5k or more primers spreads that hazmat out a bunch.
    Thnx!

I'll keep that in mind next time I am ordering.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I loaded and shot Red Dot for years in 7/8 ounce 12 gauge trap loads. Then went to PROMO when Red Dot disappeared. Then when PROMO disappeared, I moved on to Accurate Nitro 100 NF which I have been using successfully for 4 or 5 years now. And it always seems to be available.

Boolit Master
    Promo is now my highest usage powder and I use it for thousands of handgun rounds a year.

It is very predictable and performance is good.

When I started using it, the vendor guidance was effectively to "use Red dot loads by weight, not volume".

The only other flake powder I use is Unique. They do look the same, so I have very specific routines to avoid loading ammo with the wrong powder.

If you do not have "foolproof" routines to protect you from "wrong powder" substitutions, Red dot is a good choice.

If you can figure out how to 'never ever ever' load Promo when you think you are loading a slower flake powder, an 8 lb jug of Promo is the hands down lowest cost way to load thousands of great handgun rounds.

If you do adopt Promo as a powder of chioce with appropriate cautions, you will probably be completely satisfied and confident you made a great choice.

If I were loading and shooting shotguns in volume, I would probably use Promo for every application I could and it would be the only flake powder with no color marker on my shelf.

Banned

back in the day it was routinely said that it was the same powder as redot just without the added expensive of mixing in the red pieces so it could be sold cheaper.